2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #1 / 42
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

A new Jigler series is in the works.

DOOM has given me permission to transplant his board over here, thus, i have begun work on the Legacy of DOOM Series. I'm looking forward to this project.

Anyway, to get to the point, i wanted to let you guys in on it so that you could give me tips on adjustments that might need to be made to any of DOOM's boards. Also, you guys can let me know which boards you'd like me to begin working on first. :)

2. #2 / 42
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

LoTR! That was the first board I played on WF.

asm, RiskyBack and Ozyman wrote:
    I... can't find anything wrong with this line of reasoning...

3. #3 / 42
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

That raises another point, how would you guys recommend dealing with the circle-mode boards? 

4. #4 / 42
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

which boards were his? work just put the Fish (ToS) on the banned list...i can only hope that the Gear doesn't follow. i'll be devestated!

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

5. #5 / 42
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

which boards were his? work just put the Fish (ToS) on the banned list...i can only hope that the Gear doesn't follow. i'll be devestated!

You could use Windows Live Essentials 2011 - Live Sync to connect to your home PC and take turns if it really came down to it lol.

And yeah LOTR was my favorite as well.  Also Wormholes was good.

6. #6 / 42
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

My personal favorites of his were the WoW map that looks like an E, and the Mayan 2 layer map.  I also really liked the wormholes map.  I wanted to port the Mayan one a while back, but hoped he would bring it himself one day.  He was of my top 3 map makers on ToS.

7. #7 / 42
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

yeah, he was definitely one of my favorites. That's why I'm going to bring them over.

Okay, i'll get to work on Wyrmholes. That one should be an easy move. Any suggestions for adjustments on Wyrmholes or on Myths and Legends? (graphically or with play)

Edited Thu 3rd Mar 20:44 [history]

8. #8 / 42
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

maybe update them graphics wise.  play was solid though.

9. #9 / 42
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

finally got a chance to look. the only ones i really played much were both the mazes (still nice 'easy' mazes!), myths and legends, wyrmholes, and talath (sort of).

i liked the mayan temple one too (tho i thought it was called 'The Island' by Yuma, or something).

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

10. #10 / 42
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Viper wrote:
    You could use Windows Live Essentials 2011 - Live Sync to connect to your home PC and take turns if it really came down to it lol.

I might actually look into figuring out how to do remote in, if it came to that!

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

11. #11 / 42
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Nice saw what the fuss was about.

Where's the ammo?

12. #12 / 42
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

The Island by Yuma was good, but not the Mayan one I'm talking about.  It had 2 maps connected by portals... at the top it was the peak of temples and at the bottom is was skulls or something.

13. #13 / 42
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

finally got a chance to look. the only ones i really played much were both the mazes.

I'm about ready to release a maze map with a lot of scenarios, so that might make this less of a priority.

(right here if you are curious: http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/1971)

14. #14 / 42
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

The Island by Yuma was good, but not the Mayan one I'm talking about.  It had 2 maps connected by portals... at the top it was the peak of temples and at the bottom is was skulls or something.

ah yeah, that was Mayan Adventures i think.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

15. #15 / 42
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'd say use a similar concept from his boards, but recreate the graphics and adjust gameplay as you see fit, not necessarily a direct port.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

16. #16 / 42
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Circle modes? 

I mean, i could make it a kind of "souped up" version of circles. Or i could actually make all the countries. 

17. #17 / 42
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'm RiskyBack!  Seriously, I am THE RiskyBack!  I actually live in the the apartment that you conquer when you play "Rent is Due Again".  I also lived in the apartment that you conquered when you played "Rent is Due" on ToS (tm).

I gave myself permission to bring my maps over to this site and yet I have not directly ported a single map over here except Episode I because it's features never worked on ToS (tm) and needed to be updated (screw you who think it's still wrong, I will cut you).   Rent is Due Again is a graphical upgrade from the original.  Count Risky Must Die! is also an upgrade graphically, although the gameplay changed slightly also.  The only map that I directly ported from ToS (tm) is my Smurfs map and it was never actually released there, just here (and nobody likes playing it but me an Hugh).

Doom was a great map maker and I enjoyed playing WoW, Mayan Adventure, Mario World and Wyrm Holes, but so what??????  WoW was a circle map (while well done) that could be recreated by  anybody with ??????? in his/her screenname.  Myan adventure was actually conceived by Dingo (RIP) and could easily be made into a cool Heaven/Hell or Asgard/Midgaard or Reality/Risky map without sacrificing gameplay.

I steal from Cram, Yertle steals from me, we all steal from Johnny Yuma.....blah, blah, blah.  To say that anything we do is totally "Original" is to bow at our own arrogance (feel free to bow to mine, there is actually an idol).   Let's not take this for more than what it is.

Jigler, make maps!  I don't care what they are as long as they look good, play well  and add to the community.  If Doom wants to bring his stuff here than that is cool, but if you wanna take his ideas and recreate them....just do it, don't port his stuff.  If Doom wants his stuff here he wouldn't have deleted Myths and Legends when he directly ported it and then deleted it off this site.  I miss Doom.  He was somebody that's input mattered and made me a better map maker and I miss that.  His maps are available on ToS (tm) so you can play them there and maybe one day they will be out of beta testing.  Personally I wanna see some newer and cooler stuff that takes advantage of layering, view only borders, attack only borders, capitals and card allocation just to name a few things that Doom Maps never had a chance to take advantage of.

I'm from Chicago and so I will quote our city's hero:

"History is for Fools and Losers" - Mike Ditka

That's my 2 cents, you can keep the change!

Hugh returned and I credit ME!

18. #18 / 42
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I mean, i see what you're saying, but why fix what isn't broken?

i have ideas for new maps i'll be working on, but having DOOM's maps over here will certainly enhance the map selection.

But i'd like to add new features to his maps when it'll add to the gameplay.

19. #19 / 42
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm going to expand a bit so I don't look (as?) hypocritical {#emotions_dlg.razz}.

First off, and probably my biggest blech of bringing Doom's maps here is that he came to WarGear and even released Myths and Legends as one of the first maps here, then he attempted to burn the bridge between him and WG and took his map with him.  If I may quote Doom "I quit WarGear. I have picked my side, and my loyalties stay with Warfish.", with that it would seem that his boards should stay with WF...unless he just man-ups, accepts he blew his top too quickly one day, and buys everyone Bagel Bites (since we aren't ever going to get them from Risky!).  Again, I think that's my main problem with this port idea, no hard feelings or anything negative outside of that experience and wouldn't extend beyond that if he gave a simple acknowledgement that he's on board with WarGear now.  Really if it wasn't for this and you were porting them over due to time restraints or just disinterest, then I would be all for it (and would vote Mayan Adventures)!

Second off, I was looking at his boards today, and the non-circle ones are pretty cool.  Not completely un-recreate-able, but pretty nice and slick, especially with the 500kb limit on WF.  They would be great additions to WG in my opinion, but as Risky said the themes/gameplay could also be utilized with different graphics as well, so a direct port isn't necessarily needed.  The circle boards have good gameplay and are well thought out with their "quirks", but would take some time to graphically update (or at least significantly graphically update).

Doom's boards are definitely a legacy, and I've learned a lot from looking back at them while creating here on WG and seeing how he set rules and laid out boards, but there is that bit of sting of when Doom left that still just makes it feel like Doom (and his boards) and WG aren't compatible yet.

As far as porting, I ported over (with permission) Booyarr's Global War map after completely redoing the graphics, but I kept everything exactly the same for the Default scenario since that board was requested then I made just a few modifications for the Solar scenario.  Overall, to me, that felt like a good port over for someone else.  As for the rest of my boards, just like Risky said we all borrow from one another usually, for the most part very few of my boards are truly original, I take bits or chunks from lots of different people/places.

Also, completely unrelated but by chance at the same time, Cumber told me I could port over his WF boards, so I'm battling as to how achieve that in a good way.  Hence the longer explanation and attempting to not just appear hypocritical.

So that's my $0.02.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

20. #20 / 42
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've ported a few of my own boards over, and with almost every one I've ended up tweaking a thing or two on this end.   Appomattox got a complete makeover because the designer tools here actually permitted me to attempt what I wanted to do in the first place.  I'm resolved to (when I find the time) create future boards for WG from scratch. The tools and options over here are so much more powerful.  There are really not many good reasons for porting other than to perhaps re-live the occasional nostalgic battle experience.  Risky's point about taking the general layout of a map and giving it a different theme is a perfect example of the way we could/should port the boards of "others".  It's not like we don't have an outstanding stable of designers here.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)