215 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #21 / 42
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

oh, i wasn't around for any of that early feuding that went on and wasn't aware of DOOM's stance. That does bring it into a new light. (now i see where you were coming from Risky). When i talked to DOOM, he simply said that he didn't have time to play online Risk anymore due to a new job, and thus he wouldn't be able to port his boards himself. That's why i asked if i could do it, because i'd really like to play some of his classics over here. He said i could do whatever i wanted with them. 

So i didn't catch any of this negative vibe, plus i wasn't aware of DOOM's past animosity. 

2. #22 / 42
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

Also, completely unrelated but by chance at the same time, Cumber told me I could port over his WF boards, so I'm battling as to how achieve that in a good way.  Hence the longer explanation and attempting to not just appear hypocritical.

Sweet! i'm certainly looking forward to that. My Kingdom was one of my very favorites!

3. #23 / 42
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I think a lot of it comes down to what you define as a "port", and how exactly that's done. Like Yertle said, his circle-maps were a fantastic illustration of how simple it was to take advantage of WF's ability to perform basic border modifiers and create maps using pre-existing maps from other sources. On the other hand, WG's map tools are far more powerful and the existing maps here prove that - a faithful "port" would be like taking Atari code and slapping it on an XBox. Yes, you can do it, but, unless you have a nostalgic connection to the original board, you're going to be seriously underwhelmed.

That said, a "port and update" of Doom's boards would be quite welcome, at least in my view. It's a shame he won't be able to update them personally, but it'd be great to see how BAO LoTR plays using Simulgear and a cleaner Lord of the Rings board on WG. Though I'm not as familiar with some of his other work as others here, I'm sure the rest of his boards would be excellent additions to WG's collection, assuming somebody put in the time and effort to clean up the WF-induced rough edges.

asm, RiskyBack and Ozyman wrote:
    I... can't find anything wrong with this line of reasoning...

4. #24 / 42
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Oatworm wrote:

...it'd be great to see how BAO LoTR plays using Simulgear and a cleaner Lord of the Rings board on WG.

I have to say I'm a bit miffed at overly wistful references to Doom's LoTR boards, given that I have one of my own here on WG (which I at least think has pretty nice graphics), and I'm in the middle of developing a Simulgear, AnA-style War of the Ring board: http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/1664.

I have nothing against Doom's boards (and some of them were very well-designed for both gameplay and graphics), but I think this whole discussion is too nostalgic for the past and not focused enough on the present designer community here on WG and the really great work that the board makers put in on this site. Why waste effort duplicating something that exists elsewhere when we could be spending that time and energy developing new (and maybe even better!) content that is unique to here.

5. #25 / 42
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

For what it's worth, Kjeld, I love your LoTR board, too. I just wish you'd hurry up and make it public already. Smile

asm, RiskyBack and Ozyman wrote:
    I... can't find anything wrong with this line of reasoning...

6. #26 / 42
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm working on the LOTR map (using Doom's base map)...not an easy conversion, so it'll take some time yet.

7. #27 / 42
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

cool, i won't worry about that one then :)

8. #28 / 42
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Jigler wrote:
    Yertle wrote:

Also, completely unrelated but by chance at the same time, Cumber told me I could port over his WF boards, so I'm battling as to how achieve that in a good way.  Hence the longer explanation and attempting to not just appear hypocritical.

Sweet! i'm certainly looking forward to that. My Kingdom was one of my very favorites!

It was one of my favorites too!

9. #29 / 42
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

My two cents on porting...I have ported some of my own boards just because I loved playing them and was proud of the work that I put in.  However, I gave them all graphical upgrades because they needed it and my skills were improving (WarGear Quest, Arm Wrestle). 

I do not have issues with bringing over classic boards that people enjoyed.  I cut ties with TOS and have lost access to some good boards.  I have really had fun playing Yertle's port of the Booyar map since it was released.  I think there is room for classics and innovation here. 

That being said I liked Crescent Isle and Mayan Adventures.

Sometimes you have to bathe the cat

10. #30 / 42
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

OK...nearing completion on the rough draft of the board...any volunteers for testing it out?!

11. #31 / 42
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm game for it.  loved the lotr board.

12. #32 / 42
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

sure...i'm here all night. pushing a button ala Desmond.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

13. #33 / 42
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'll be porting the original version (still working on that) along with my latest mod of his map (which is currently being tested).

14. #34 / 42
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:

I'll be porting the original version (still working on that) along with my latest mod of his map (which is currently being tested).

I'm a bit curious as to if this would pass Review.  Restricting duplicate boards is one of the main reasons (at least IMO) for the Review process.

Cumberdale Classics Coming Soon!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

15. #35 / 42
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I assume one would be a scenario of the other, no?

16. #36 / 42
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Different continents and countries for Doom's original version.

17. #37 / 42
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

It is, but following the same theme and overall basic gameplay-style.  I personally like Scenario idea, I would just like to see the Board list on WG not become like the Board list on WF.  I dunno though, kinda tricky.

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

18. #38 / 42
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

It is, but following the same theme and overall basic gameplay-style.  I personally like Scenario idea, I would just like to see the Board list on WG not become like the Board list on WF.  I dunno though, kinda tricky.

What about Jigler's Mario boards and Cumber's Salem's Dusk boards?

In general I agree with you though.

19. #39 / 42
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Hehe, I've questioned both of those (I've also thought about my 2210 boards too).  IMO the Mario boards are probably good individual (and Jigler had multiple Mods for each on WF), I would have voted Salem's Dusk boards to be combined (although there are multiple Scenarios for Deluxe.  Like I said, kinda tricky.

20. #40 / 42
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

i think to prevent the crazy mass board problem that we had on WF there'll just have to be map groupings. (i know this has been discussed before so i'm not trying to start the topic up again). That way when you click on "Boards" there are categories to choose from 

Grace and Peace to you from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)