229 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 22
    Standard Member HabsFan28
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Seems lately that I can't even attack 1 lousy unit, I end up losing around 5 each and every time. And I'm not exaggerating. This Defense-First system needs to go, get some flexibility in games, not stupid bull**** like facing a defender who rolls 5 straight 6s, that's just stupid.

I was considering paying for a premium account so maybe this is a good thing because now I don't have to waste any money.

2. #2 / 22
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Just remember: Bad rolls come, bad rolls go, but bouncing breasts are forever.

What game was it? Some maps contain border modifiers that put the attacker at a disadvantage.

Longest innings. Most deadly.

3. #3 / 22
    Standard Member HabsFan28
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I usually only play on Wargear Warfare, War, and the other identical classic map. War is a very unlucky board for me for some reason. I realize that good rolls come and go but, every turn I take the defender rolls 4-5 straight 6s. I can see that happening once in a while, but every single turn? Get real.

4. #4 / 22
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

There was once a man who bought lottery tickets for two different state lotteries on the same night. Both tickets had winning numbers, but were for the wrong state. Hopefully you are not also that guy.

Longest innings. Most deadly.

5. #5 / 22
    Standard Member Tesctassa II
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Mongrel wrote: There was once a man who bought lottery tickets for two different state lotteries on the same night. Both tickets had winning numbers, but were for the wrong state. Hopefully you are not also that guy.

Uhauahauhauhauahuahuahauhauhauah!!!! Please tell me this isn't real!!! Uhauhauhauhauahuahauhauahuahuahahauahuahuah!!!!

XD

@Habs: just one tip! When you see the second 6 coming from the defender, STOP! Unless you can outnumber him, there's no point in continuing the attack. Just stop, get your card somewhere else if you can, and if not, just skip turn. I consider "bad luck" the added opponent of every board, an opponent who can strike whenever he likes and the only way to defeat him is strategy and a good grasp of probability theory (btw, this is the way to defeat also all other players)

;)

6. #6 / 22
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Tesctassa II wrote:

@Habs: just one tip! When you see the second 6 coming from the defender, STOP! Unless you can outnumber him, there's no point in continuing the attack. Just stop, get your card somewhere else if you can, and if not, just skip turn.

I don't think there's any real truth to this, other than superstition.

Bad rolls happen, some days do seem much more noticeable than others, but also when I notice it once I am then looking for it the next time too.

What would be another type of system?  Ties go to the Attacker?

7. #7 / 22
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

When you see the second 6 coming from the defender, STOP! Unless you can outnumber him, there's no point in continuing the attack. Just stop, get your card somewhere else if you can, and if not, just skip turn. I consider "bad luck" the added opponent of every board, an opponent who can strike whenever he likes and the only way to defeat him is strategy and a good grasp of probability theory

Unfortunately, probability states that the odds of your opponent rolling another 6 have nothing to do with what he previously rolled.

8. #8 / 22
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

You're both right guys, it's just chance. But what I'm saying is that for that very reason, stopping the attack should be the right decision. I mean, if you have few units, maybe at the beginning of the game, it's more important to not lose units than hoping that next roll will be good!
    As you may know, since defender always rolls 2 dice, the chance of the attacker winning, rolling 3 dice, is less than 40%. And as probability theory teaches, the more you play, the more your rolls will stick with this percentage.
    Which means, you may be unlucky in a whole game, but you'll surely get good rolls in other. Just weight them the same! (that counts too!)
    ;)

@Yertle: I don't think "ties to the attacker" would be good. That would kill strategy I think, as attacks would success more easily, canceling the thinking everyone does before striking an attack, expecially in the early stage of the game.

(=

Edited Tue 22nd Jun 17:18 [history]

9. #9 / 22
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

The Mob Killed Kenedy
    The Moon Landing was Faked
    Sarah Palin is NOT Demon Spawn
    The Dice are specifically against me

Yes, these are all sound statements.

Cobra Commander + Larry - Mo * Curly = RiskyBack

10. #10 / 22
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Then I suggest a remedy: everyone who feels frustrated, watch Habsfan picture! It will definitely make him feel better.
    (For her the remedy involves just a quick googling. Subject changes, but the cure is identical!)

11. #11 / 22
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Tesctassa, I was joking. The dice are what they are:

An equation created to simulate randomness.

That's it. There is no real cheating or hating going on it's just what it is. I lose a game because my dice fail, I start another game. I lose a battle because the defender rolled 6's across the board, I regroup and try something else.
    All this talk about things being rigged is just silly. I don't think BlackDog gets better dice than me, I just think he plans and plays better.

Cobra Commander + Larry - Mo * Curly = RiskyBack

12. #12 / 22
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think Hugh both gets good dice and plans and plays better than me. The good dice may be a local phenomenon that just happens when I play Hugh, but I think that he gives sacrificial offerings to the dice gods and they in return shine good rolls on him. HabsFan, you may have just upset the dice gods; that all, but don't worry they have a short memory and will have it out for me tomorrow since I wrote about them.

asm: I have no earthly clue what you're talking about
    Edited Tue 22nd Jun 21:51 [history]

13. #13 / 22
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/22272
    http://www.wargear.net/games/player/21950

Habs, you are attacking with 2 and 1 die so frequently that you are giving the attacker a decent edge. Only attacking with 3 dice (or 2 dice vs 1 army) gives the attacker an edge. Your rolling in those games wasn't that bad.

Also, what's with the anti-semitic language?

14. #14 / 22
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote: Also, what's with the anti-semitic language?

Where? "Sacrificial offerings"? ..to a multiplicity of Gods? You're kidding, right?

15. #15 / 22
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Where? "Sacrificial offerings"? ..to a multiplicity of Gods? You're kidding, right?

in the games Hugh posted

16. #16 / 22
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I don't think BlackDog gets better dice than me, I just think he plans and plays better.

My psionic powers help quite a bit too.

Smart people like having friends, ignorant people like having enemies.

Edited Wed 23rd Jun 10:28 [history]

17. #17 / 22
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

KrocK wrote:
    M57 wrote:

in the games Hugh posted

Ya, that's annoyingly ridiculous.

18. #18 / 22
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:

Glad to see that you were not referring to my post; I didn't look at the games until just now.

19. #19 / 22
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Wow, weird. Can/Should those messages be erased?

Back to what Tesct was saying - Surely the dice simulation used is as close to random as we can get, but when bad luck starts coming your way it is often a good idea to stop and reassess. One can get worked up and lose focus that your once (hopefully) good plan of attack now has a much lower chance of success. This may sound basic, but people (including myself for sure) get possessed with an idea (e.g. "I need to get a card.") and don't let go even when continuing to try does more harm than good.

20. #20 / 22
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I've removed the messages and sent a warning message to HabsFan28.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)