Pages:   123456789»»»   (17 in total)
  1. #81 / 333
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Jigler wrote:

Is there still a plan to redesign the player profile pages? I think this would be nice

Certainly needs doing at some point - I'm open for suggestions on how this should look if someone fancies sketching out some layout / content ideas.

2. #82 / 333
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

After the Global Ranking Score, the first thing I want to know when I click on a player's name, is how experienced he is. But you then have to click on Player Stats to see the number of games played in the Win Ratio.

May be enlarging the view of the Player Profile would allow to merge it with the Player Stats page ?

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth
    Edited Mon 8th Aug 12:42 [history]

3. #83 / 333
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I think the trophy case, favorite boards, top ranks should be on either side (rather than middle) in a single line . 

Grace and Peace to you from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Chirst

4. #84 / 333
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Good ideas... perhaps the some more important players stats could appear on the front profile page so you don't need to go to the stats page for a more detailed look?

Any other suggestions? 

5. #85 / 333
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Could your standing (1st, 2nd, 59th, etc.) on each board appear next each of the boards, either on the stats page or profile page, however you make the changes.  Will you make the favorite board pane look like the other two (thumbnails instead of text)?

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

6. #86 / 333
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/2621

I would try to get more of that tabbed information on the front page for sure.  

7. #87 / 333
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

looks good, i would prefer for the picture to be where it is now, more toward the center. But off to the side may end up looking good

Grace and Peace to you from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Chirst

8. #88 / 333
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I like that layout. 

I know that it is probably considered bad design, but could the player stats be put underneath the table below the profile pic.  Specifically, just boardname, score, points, standing (I would actually just like to see the boards which I have points on (or the boards I am in the top 10 or top 25 on), but would be happy with all of them).

This may be difficult, but on the stats page, could deltas be added along with standing?  I was thinking "net change in the last 30 days".  This may be hard, but I think it could be interesting.  Also, it might be nice to see historical "maximum score" as well.

These are meant to just be suggestions, not requests.

9. #89 / 333
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Regardless of the layout I'd request that it's all visible within the limits of a 17" laptop screen width on 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 800 resolution (I believe these are pretty standard resolutions for most people).  I'm ok having to scroll up/down with my mouse wheel but having a profile page where I need to scroll left/right is cumbersome.

Also, I think most players probably don't have external, larger monitors.

Hope you take this into consideration

~ATH

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

10. #90 / 333
    Standard Member Chogyam
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I know I've read about achievements and such... but for the really vain, maybe something along the line of Titles (General, warlord, lieutenant dan, etc...) or even badge icons that could appear next to your name? 

This would be something given to top 100/25/10 players.  Seems like if someone gets into the top 10 (or whatever) at least for a little while, they should have something to show for it. 

In other words General Toto or Alpha the Merciless... Or a scary badge of honor to frighten away noobs and command respect from the nerd community?

Let me know if this has been shot down before...

Maintain calm for clearer thinking.

11. #91 / 333
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

General Toto... Hmmm... I quite like that.

I am waiting for an achievement system too.

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

12. #92 / 333
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Row 66 on the request list:

ID  Category  dayswork   

3    Website    30    Achievement system

I'm sure it will show up eventually & Tom will probably encourage some discussion about it when he decides to implement one.

13. #93 / 333
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

chogyam wrote:

I know I've read about achievements and such... but for the really vain, maybe something along the line of Titles (General, warlord, lieutenant dan, etc...) or even badge icons that could appear next to your name? 

This would be something given to top 100/25/10 players.  Seems like if someone gets into the top 10 (or whatever) at least for a little while, they should have something to show for it. 

In other words General Toto or Alpha the Merciless... Or a scary badge of honor to frighten away noobs and command respect from the nerd community?

Let me know if this has been shot down before...

Alpha the Merciless; just fits above the profile pic.  Thanks.

14. #94 / 333
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Alpha - pop: 1

^ fits better

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Sat 13th Aug 22:11 [history]

15. #95 / 333
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

Alpha - pop: 1

^ fits better

Yes it does, I am not merciless.  Thanks.

... hijack done.

16. #96 / 333
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Almost all the other competing sites have a titles system - this is separate to an achievements system. Titles should be easy to implement, it's just a question of working out how to fairly apportion them.

17. #97 / 333
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I don't have any idea for the names, but I think it should be something like:

Based on Championship points or Global Ranking (use only highest title)

highest rank - in the top ten.
    next - been in the top ten
    next - top 25
    next - been in the top 25
    then 100
    then finished 50 games
    lowest - finished ten games

stars awarded for being #1 on a board currently (these can be lost).

18. #98 / 333
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Almost all the other competing sites have a titles system - this is separate to an achievements system. Titles should be easy to implement, it's just a question of working out how to fairly apportion them.

I think it would be cool if they were also interconnected, ie you could collect Titles while getting Achievements, then you could have a list of Titles that you could choose from as your "display title".  I know at least one MMORPG that does this, which is kind of cool and gives players another avenue to collect things.

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

19. #99 / 333
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

20. #100 / 333
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I like Yertle's idea for allowing players to use whichever title they want out of the ones they've earned.   Here are some general thoughts on achievements/titles.

* Some achievements should not be tied to being 'good' at wargear.  This will allow everyone (even not so great players) to have something to strive for.

* Achievements could be used as a way to simplify the site for newbies.  i.e. Once reaching achievement X,Y, or Z, yellow difficulty maps become available, similar for red difficulty.  This is called 'Progressive Disclosure' - from the wikipedia article: "By disclosing information progressively, you reveal only the essentials and help the user manage the complexity of feature-rich sites or applications."  This is a more broad topic than just achievements, and could be discussed separately.

* Achievements could represent a general achievement, that has a standard title, that gets modified by bronze, silver, gold, platinum as the N goes up.

Here are some examples of achievements/titles that could be achievable by average players:

* Achievements for playing N games/turns. - adversary
    * Achievements for eliminating N players - executioner
    * N Posts - communicator
    * Vote in a mapmaking competition - Suffragist
    * Publish a map - designer
    * Finish a game on N different boards - completist

This way even players who are not that great can get 'rewarded' for time spent playing.

Obviously there would also be achievements for skill in wargear:
    *Achievements for ranks, champion points, etc. - warlord

Some things to think about:
    http://gamification.org/wiki/Game_Design#Achievements
    http://gamification.org/wiki/Game_Design#Discovery - This ties in to having unlockable areas on wargear.
    http://gamification.org/wiki/Game_Design#Progression - Player profile page, should show what you need to do to achieve next achievement/title.
    http://gamification.org/wiki/Game_Design#Status - Titles/achievements should be displayed next to player name in as many contexts as possible.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123456789»»»   (17 in total)