3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Discuss the best strategies to help you win (or lose) games on WarGear

To NOT discuss the best strategies for games on WarGear...

Easter - The celebration of death, of resurrection, of life, and of a promise fulfilled.

2. #2 / 18
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'm not sure what you mean.

3. #3 / 18
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I'm going to pretend I can read minds and guess that Yertle believes that sharing trade secrets will result in more players capable of beating the people sharing the secrets.

4. #4 / 18
    Standard Member bengaltiger
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

And we can all agree that would be bad. Very bad.

5. #5 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Something like that Hugh :P
    Not that I'm against helping others, just part of the battle is figuring out the strategy of the board. Countries at war don't give each other their battle plans do they?

Easter - The celebration of death, of resurrection, of life, and of a promise fulfilled.

6. #6 / 18
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I agree that players shouldn't be telling their opponents ahead of time what strategy they intend to employ during a particular game. Watching the replay afterward, however, will often show what strategy the winner employed.

Personally, I find it kind of boring (albeit good for my ranking) to use a secret strategy to dominate a board, especially if that strategy can be summed up in a few sentences. I'd rather have the challenge of facing opponents who already know the basic strategies of a board.

If there is little strategy to a board beyond a standard opening, perhaps that board's design needs to be revisited to promote a greater variety of viable strategies.

Edited Wed 7th Apr 15:33 [history]

7. #7 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Norseman wrote:

Personally, I find it kind of boring (albeit good for my ranking) to use a secret strategy to dominate a board, especially if that strategy can be summed up in a few sentences. I'd rather have the challenge of facing opponents who already know the basic strategies of a board.

If there is little strategy to a board beyond a standard opening, perhaps that board's design needs to be revisited to promote a greater variety of viable strategies.

Then:

Norseman wrote:

Watching the replay afterward, however, will often show what strategy the winner employed.

Means there really aren't "secret strategies" Wink.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that if players dig a bit, they can easily see strategies.  I assume this forum will be the place to discuss those strategies, and more easily see the good strategies, potentially taking away the "digging" aspect, which could also be boring (yet, it is dumb to not know other strategies, particularly those of opponents). 

Kind of reminds me of the discussion around adding a table or window that calculates your odds of winning an attack or string of attacks and how that could be considered taking away from the game.

8. #8 / 18
    Standard Member sreg
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I agree with Yertle, people should figure out how best to play on their own. if we give them our play style then we dont have anything to set us apart.

9. #9 / 18
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    Norseman wrote:

Then:

Norseman wrote:

Watching the replay afterward, however, will often show what strategy the winner employed.

Means there really aren't "secret strategies" Wink.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that if players dig a bit, they can easily see strategies.  I assume this forum will be the place to discuss those strategies, and more easily see the good strategies, potentially taking away the "digging" aspect, which could also be boring (yet, it is dumb to not know other strategies, particularly those of opponents). 

Kind of reminds me of the discussion around adding a table or window that calculates your odds of winning an attack or string of attacks and how that could be considered taking away from the game.

True, secret strategies can be revealed quite readily.

I guess it comes down to what people are looking to get out of the site.  I'd rather push the limits of strategy by sharing what I've discovered.  Ideally, that would lead to the development of counters to that strategy and then counters to that counter.

10. #10 / 18
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Well there are a lot of generic strategies that can be debated that can make people better players without being map specific. I've seen many discussed before but there's no reason not to reopen them here. Things like:

Say your opponent has a single unit in a bordering dead-end territory. (Dead end means the only way in and out is through your territory.) Assume no return to play from transfer. Is it better to attack that opponent with 1 unit, 2 units, or 3 units?

-John Hancock-

11. #11 / 18
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

2!

It's a trap!

12. #12 / 18
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

I'd like to see that discussion.

13. #13 / 18
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Mongrel wrote:
    Yertle wrote:

I'd like to see that discussion.

I think this is what Yertle was referring to: http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/473/Plugins

14. #14 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Correct, perhaps it wasn't much of a discussion, but I agree with what Cram said.

15. #15 / 18
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

It's similar to seeing the percentages while watching poker on ESPN...everybody thinks they could have won the hand while they see everybody's cards and the percentages of winning...

16. #16 / 18
    Standard Member Clownbaby
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Strategy? Tactics? Whatever it is people think you should do, do the exact opposite! Been helping me lose games fairly consistently.

WILDCARD!

17. #17 / 18
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

...In fogged games, always be conscious of what your opponent can, and cannot, see...

18. #18 / 18
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

What could be done is to offer basic general gameplay hints for simulgear (ie. - ordering, when and when not to pretransfer, soaking up attacks, etc) and for general play (ganging up against a clearly dominating player to keep a game alive, what types of diplomatic messages to send thru PM, etc) without giving away trade secrets.

This would be geared more towards the somewhat less experienced player.

Edited Wed 15th Jun 18:54 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)