223 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   «««789101112131415»»»   (17 in total)
  1. #201 / 333
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

You weren't thoroughly using the letter z, we thought we'd zpice thingz up a bit.

2. #202 / 333
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Sorry if this is on the request list already...  Could there be an added option to allow a territory to be a randomly assigned capital city?

It would be nice if the system were just Allocated, or Capital City.  Then under seat position have neutral, player seats, and random.

3. #203 / 333
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

Sorry if this is on the request list already...  Could there be an added option to allow a territory to be a randomly assigned capital city?

How would this work?  What percentage of territories would become capitals?

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

4. #204 / 333
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I am thinking that Nygma wants this because he likes to have territories off to the side of the board that do special things for the players.  This is problematic with ending the game because you either have to allow people to attack these territories or use capitals somehow so the game ends that way - either messes up what he is trying to do.  So I bet he would like a main game board with all capital territories randomly assigned, so that when someone is eliminated off the main game board they are out of the game.  I know I would like to be able to do that also.

5. #205 / 333
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Bingo!

6. #206 / 333
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I still don't understand.. 

So a group of territories (let's say all territories on the "main" game-board) are allocated as potential (randomly assigned) capitals. How many of them would be designated capitals?

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    Edited Sat 1st Oct 15:37 [history]

7. #207 / 333
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

It's so you can randomize who owns what capital...  You would leave all capitals empty, but allow them to still be capitals... right now you have to assign capitals to either neutral or player... if I want a random board of capitals... I would need to start them empty.

8. #208 / 333
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

So your options are  

Allocated

>Seat #

>># of units

>Neutral

>># of units

>Random (what empty is currently)

Capital 

> Seat #

>># of units

> Neutral

>># of units

> Random (current empty, but capital city when assigned to player or neutral under rules tab)

Edited Sat 1st Oct 16:02 [history]

9. #209 / 333
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

Capital 

> Random (current empty, but capital city when assigned to player or neutral under rules tab)

I assume this is what you are talking about, but I still don't understand.  So if I allocate something like ten territories as "Capital > Random", give me an example of how they might be allocated in a 3 player game..

10. #210 / 333
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

That would be poor design.

I would leave only capital cities or only standard territories open, but the option should be there...

For example, the opposite of castles... start the whole board neutral, but randomize the capitals.

11. #211 / 333
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Make a 5 player scenario, with 5 random capitals.

12. #212 / 333
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

So the designer would want to make the number of capitals be a multiple of the number of players?

That would be poor design

I don't disagree, but the feature must have a way of accommodating any give situation.

You could have it such that capitals are assigned evenly as described above  and any remainders become neutral... 

13. #213 / 333
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

That would be a tweak to the % of neutrals that begin in a game with empty territories.  

I would love to see random assignment give priority to Capital Cities, then remove remainders, then randomly assign standard territories... but it sounds like a lot more work.  I would just make multiple scenarios for different players in the mean time.

14. #214 / 333
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

So a group of territories (let's say all territories on the "main" game-board) are allocated as potential (randomly assigned) capitals. How many of them would be designated capitals?

For the boards I have in mind, all of them.  For example the Backgammon board I have been working on.

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/92499

I want to randomly start people on the chips on the main game board.  During the game players can capture the small chips by the doubling cubes, but I don't want players to to be able to attack anywhere from those small chips.  Since I don't have what Nygma is asking for if someone is eliminated off the main game board they are stuck - they can't attack. 

I would rather have all the chips designated as capitals, so when someone is eliminated off the board/chip area they are eliminated out of the game.

15. #215 / 333
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

A while back we talked about it.  The idea was "unnecessary territory" or something... that didn't count towards your unit count...  This is another way of doing that, by making everything else a capital.  To make territories capitals you need a finite starting location as either neutral or player owned, which limits randomness.

16. #216 / 333
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:
    M57 wrote:

For the boards I have in mind, all of them.  For example the Backgammon board I have been working on.

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/92499

I want to randomly start people on the chips on the main game board.  During the game players can capture the small chips by the doubling cubes, but I don't want players to to be able to attack anywhere from those small chips.  Since I don't have what Nygma is asking for if someone is eliminated off the main game board they are stuck - they can't attack. 

I would rather have all the chips designated as capitals, so when someone is eliminated off the board/chip area they are eliminated out of the game.

I like this option. I can see where this could apply to number of designs, but I think there should also be an option where any non-multiple (of the number of players) remainder is allocated neutral and not a capital. 

17. #217 / 333
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This sounds fair to me.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

18. #218 / 333
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Perhaps in addition to Low/Med/High initial neutral count, there can be an option to Evenly Distribute Capitals.  I feel like in the future I might want to turn that off.  It might be cool if there are 5 players, and 1 capital, that only 1 player should get...

19. #219 / 333
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Can a player's live tournament list show the status as "Live [Eliminated]" instead of "Live" when a player has lost a game in an elimination tournament.  This would mirror the way the games list works. 

Edited Thu 6th Oct 16:53 [history]

20. #220 / 333
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Raptor wrote:

Can a player's live tournament list show the status as "Live [Eliminated]" instead of "Live" when a player has lost a game in an elimination tournament.  This would mirror the way the games list works. 

Don't hesitate to be the very first to reply to this thread...

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1608/Improving_Tournaments_Home_page

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   «««789101112131415»»»   (17 in total)