232 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   «««91011121314151617   (17 in total)
  1. #241 / 333
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

As I recall Conan put forth the original idea...might be good to run the statements by him.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

2. #242 / 333
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

On the individual board "charts" page.  Instead of (or in addition to) the "Game Duration (days)" graph, there should be a Game Duration (moves)" graph.

Really, the latter is a much more accurate and appropriate method of determining how long a game is likely to last.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

3. #243 / 333
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

If we are mucking with the game duration charts, I'd really like to see an additional data point on those for games that voted to terminate.   I think right now games that are terminated are not included on that chart.  (not 100% sure).  Leaving this off is biasing the charts.

Either the length of the game at the time of termination could be used as a data point, or at the far right of the graph, there could be a place for DNF (did not finish).  Or what I think would be best, is to do both & count those games as being as long as they lasted, but also have a DNF total.

4. #244 / 333
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I added a feature request item for the 'Game Duration' in turns.

Ozyman I'd prefer not to show Terminated games - these include a number of invalid games, not just games where players agreed to terminate.

5. #245 / 333
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I love this - when clicking on "opponents" you get a white/blue arrow that opens up a list of the games that you played with that player.

So, I would love this - when clicking on "player stats" next to each board have a blue/white arrow that pulls up a list of the games (with a link) the player played on that board (and also have a W/L icon telling if they won or lost that game)

6. #246 / 333
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

If we are mucking with the game duration charts, I'd really like to see an additional data point on those for games that voted to terminate.   I think right now games that are terminated are not included on that chart.  (not 100% sure).  Leaving this off is biasing the charts.

Either the length of the game at the time of termination could be used as a data point, or at the far right of the graph, there could be a place for DNF (did not finish).  Or what I think would be best, is to do both & count those games as being as long as they lasted, but also have a DNF total.

This has been added.

7. #247 / 333
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Just to be clear.  You implemented M57's request, but not mine, right?  Is there anyway to distinguish between "invalid" games and games that terminated because they weren't going anywhere?

8. #248 / 333
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Just to be clear.  You implemented M57's request, but not mine, right?  Is there anyway to distinguish between "invalid" games and games that terminated because they weren't going anywhere?

He didn't implement my request -- He just put it on the list.  I don't think I understand why you'd want terminations charts. Though I suppose I could envision a box for excluding terminated games from the chart.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.

9. #249 / 333
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I see Game duration (turns) charts now.  Isn't that what you were requesting?

I'd like the termination charts, because frankly the group I play with terminates about 10%+ of our games, and it's frustrating playing a game for a year and then finally just giving up because it is going nowhere.  I think if those #s were available there would be two benefits - players could avoid those maps, and map makers could identify when their is a problem and fix it.

10. #250 / 333
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yikes!  That was fast.  I had no idea. 

I don't understand.  How are people terminating games against you without your approval?

11. #251 / 333
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

No, it's with my approval.  I mean my friends and I start a game, and then after playing it for a long period of time, we realize that the game is going nowhere and will take another 10 years to finish, so we just all vote to terminate.

I think it is worse for us because we are a fairly large group and we all understand that you sometimes need to gang up on the leader and that makes it more likely that the game will stalemate.

12. #252 / 333
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Oh sorry I quoted the wrong person. The problem is Terminated games include games which didn't finish at all. I'm not sure how this could be represented on a duration chart.

13. #253 / 333
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Could you count the duration as the time from the start of the game until it was terminated?  So for example my friends and I have a game we started last march.  We've all agreed that if no one has won by this march, we are going to terminate.  On the charts this would show as taking 1 year to play a game.

14. #254 / 333
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

OK - I've included terminated games in the charts. There is also now a 'None' category for the winning seat for those games which were terminated. This is a nice way to see what proportion of games were abandoned.

15. #255 / 333
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

that's  great!   Thanks a lot Tom!

16. #256 / 333
    Standard Member the regulator
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

not sure if this has ever been suggested but it would be nice if you had a way in game to see what someones membership status is, so you dont have to go looking to see if this person can receive private messages or not

17. #257 / 333
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

the regulator wrote:

not sure if this has ever been suggested but it would be nice if you had a way in game to see what someones membership status is, so you dont have to go looking to see if this person can receive private messages or not

I believe everyone can receive PMs -- not everyone can send them.

18. #258 / 333
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

the regulator wrote:

Good suggestion, it would be very usefull. But not to know if this player can receive private messages ( as everybody can ) ; It's usefull to know if this player can reply to you by sending private messages (only premium members can). 

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

19. #259 / 333
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Took me 2 minutes to write my previous message. M57, you was faster than me.

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

20. #260 / 333
    Standard Member the regulator
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

oh ok that does help

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   «««91011121314151617   (17 in total)