219 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 11
    Standard Member Gimli
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I think advertising has been discussed a while ago, but is there a budget yet for that? I update my facebook status as advertising at times, and have a link on my profile. It seems a lot of people disappear after a few games, and some tourneys needing 100 have been stuck at a dozen for a few months.

So I'm curious if there is a budget for advertising. If so, maybe we can use this thread to brainstorm/research the most effective use of dollars.

If not, lets organize and brainstorm free ways to advertise the site. Like using Twitter and Facebook!

Apparently I've been spanked!!

2. #2 / 11
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Word of mouth. Problem with that, is I already told about everyone I know who'd be interested about WF, so I'm fresh outta contacts.

Longest innings. Most deadly.

3. #3 / 11
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

While the subject of the thread is a bit sweeping, I do agree that gaining and retaining players, something talked about many times before (ASM quote here), should be the primary focus of the site.

4. #4 / 11
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Mongrel wrote: I already told about everyone I know who'd be interested about WF,

I have an idea about how you could improve this approach.

Just doing my part to hold in Risky's big deal-ness

5. #5 / 11
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote:
    Mongrel wrote: I already told about everyone I know who'd be interested about WF,

I have an idea about how you could improve this approach.

Dick. What I meant to say is those people have since moved on, or migrated here.

6. #6 / 11
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I have been spreading the site by word of month whenever it seems reasonable to bring it up in conversation (I don't talk about risk to people not already on the site very often). This method seems to work the best because I tell them how the site works, how to start, ... and then am available to answer questions. This mentoring approach has been discussed before, but I don't see an easy way to do it outside of finding people in the hallway and harassing them about taking their turns.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

7. #7 / 11
    Brigadier General Dud Dud is offline now
    Premium Member Dud
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Silly idea here.
    It appears that we are accused of being geeks for being on this site. (Ok, as long as my wife and kids think I am cool, who cares).
    We are thinking about advertising...
    We are thinking about word of mouth...
    We really have no financial assets...

If we put those things together we get: Let the "Geek Squad" advertise on the site for free. Why?
    They get to be the ONLY advertiser so they will embrace the site.
    They are out in the computing world, they will spread WHAT THEY ARE ADVERTISING, and this will be free. (nice group to spread OUR SITE)

Without typing too much, I'm confident this group gets what I am saying. Let's just put the synergy into our benefit. And with just one advertiser on our site, our members will probably understand.

I could probably do some homework here to get this done if the group and Tom like it....

8. #8 / 11
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've been thinking about starting a reddit thread in r/gaming about wargear, but haven't had the time yet. Anyone know of similar sites like digg, etc? Maybe we could try to post in some of those sort of communities? Is Wargear ready/polished enough? (It seems so to me, but I haven't explored the nooks & crannies to much).

9. #9 / 11
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

What i would like to see is the ability to invite a player to a game without being their "friend".

The easiest way i can see is to be able to invite a player with their player ID.

reason being is that i know it will take some time to hash out a welcome crew with automated invites...etc, with player ID invites I (and maybe a few others) could invite new players to games without adding them as a friend then removing them as a friend if their a no show.

Edited Fri 29th Oct 00:34 [history]

10. #10 / 11
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

You can type anyone player's name into the Invite Player's box and invite them to a game, don't have to invite only friends.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

11. #11 / 11
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

oh... problem solved!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)