219 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   «««67891011121314   (14 in total)
  1. #181 / 265
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Notwithstanding its complexities, it seems like a good organizational approach, though I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "one territory" at the end of your post.

2. #182 / 265
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I think it's better to organize it that way because it's better to say If you "control these territories" then "this happens," which is already how continents work. This also includes one territory continents, thus it's better than choosing specific territories as spawning or carnivorous, because the continent modification system covers the single territory system, while the single territory system does not cover owning a full continent causing a spawning or carnivorous territory to appear.

3. #183 / 265
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote: I've been talking for a long time about continent modifiers, and I think this should fall under that category. I envision a sub-menu system where there's a cause and effect section. IF Cause = Continent ownership THEN Effect = +/- unit count, +/- borders, +/- units in specified territory, +/- Border modifiers, etc. I suppose barren doesn't work this way, but for spawning and carnivorous territories, you could set 1 territory to be the continent, then have the effect be specified unit placement, or specified unit loss, but it also leaves the option open to say if you have all of these territories, this one starts losing units or gaining them, which, in my opinion, is better than specifying one territory.

something along these lines would help on my attempts at a Kensington board.

4. #184 / 265
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

During a conversation with Ed. N. about his Remote Control Board (I think he wants to make some improvements on it), I suggested that he might put clouds on the board. This morning I had a thought about a possible territory feature:

Invisible or Permanently Fogged: Only overridden by an explicitly placed view border. Possibly you could have a pull-down menu for what is fogged: # of ArmiesPlayer Control, or Both.

I haven't given too much thought to how many applications it could have, but it seems like there could be quite a few.

Edited Fri 18th Jun 08:25 [history]

5. #185 / 265
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Invisible or Permanently Fogged: Only overridden by an explicitly placed view border. Possibly you could have a pull-down menu for what is fogged: # of ArmiesPlayer Control, or Both.

I haven't given too much thought to how many applications it could have, but it seems like there could be quite a few.

A Fog setting per territory (or allowed to be overridden at the territory level) has been talked about on the WF forums (just for kicks) and I think it's been brought up a time or two here.  It would be kind of cool, but with the ability to have custom Fog I know I would be annoyed/stay away of some of the implementations of it :P

asm is a CYLON!!!

6. #186 / 265
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

There's good and bad to most suggestions. I'm happy with how far the site has come so far already. I have ideas of things I would like implemented, but I have to give tom "hella credit" for what he's done already. You too Yertle, thanks for admin-ing.

7. #187 / 265
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Ok, this may have been suggested before but I can't find it.
    How about an "ownerless" fog. A fog where you can see the number of units on all of the spaces but not the owner. The opposite of the current fog system. There would have to be a light and heavy ownerless fog.
    For example light ownerless would show you unit counts on all spaces but only show you the owner in adjacent spaces.
    Heavy ownerless would show you unit counts in adjacent spaces but not owners.
    I could also see an application for seeing unit counts on all spaces and no owner information at all and seeing owners of all spaces but no unit counts at all.
    Credit to Amidon37 for the initial idea.

In the end, all things are squishy.

8. #188 / 265
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Raptor wrote: Ok, this may have been suggested before but I can't find it.
    How about an "ownerless" fog. A fog where you can see the number of units on all of the spaces but not the owner. The opposite of the current fog system. There would have to be a light and heavy ownerless fog.
    For example light ownerless would show you unit counts on all spaces but only show you the owner in adjacent spaces.
    Heavy ownerless would show you unit counts in adjacent spaces but not owners.
    I could also see an application for seeing unit counts on all spaces and no owner information at all and seeing owners of all spaces but no unit counts at all.
    Credit to Amidon37 for the initial idea.

See here: http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/293/Suggestions_for_Fog_and_View-only_borders

9. #189 / 265
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote: There's good and bad to most suggestions. I'm happy with how far the site has come so far already. I have ideas of things I would like implemented, but I have to give tom "hella credit" for what he's done already. You too Yertle, thanks for admin-ing.

IF YOU ARE SUGGESTING TOM HAS DONE A GREAT JOB HERE YOU WILL STOP NOW, OR I WILL CALL HR AND I WILL PUT AN END TO IT, FOR THAT IS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME.

EDIT: Sorry, thought it an appropriate time to share with you all our 'infamous' all caps bomb from here at work.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Mon 21st Jun 15:17 [history]

10. #190 / 265
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I have no earthly clue what you're talking about, but that definitely sounds like a line I'm going to be using regularly.

As a matter of fact...

In heaven, there are no heart attacks

11. #191 / 265
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yep, that's a new sig for sure.

IF YOU ARE SUGGESTING ASM IS A GOOD PLAYER YOU WILL STOP NOW, OR I WILL CALL HR AND I WILL PUT AN END TO IT, FOR THAT IS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME.

12. #192 / 265
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Don't worry asm, no one will ever suggest that you're a good player. ;-)

13. #193 / 265
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Tom, can we lower the territory bonus? I would like to assign a +1 for every 20 territories owned.

Longest innings. Most deadly.

14. #194 / 265
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Sure will do.

15. #195 / 265
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Cool.

16. #196 / 265
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

The circles look great tom, thank you. Has there been any talk of "team continents"? Not only if team A controls this team A gets +x/the number of player on team A per player. Also, Team Only continents, where All of Team A must occupy this continent (each player has at least 1 territory in it) for Team A to get a bonus.

17. #197 / 265
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Mongrel wrote: Tom, can we lower the territory bonus? I would like to assign a +1 for every 20 territories owned.

Actually, could you make it +1 for every 25?

18. #198 / 265
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    M57 wrote:

A Fog setting per territory (or allowed to be overridden at the territory level) has been talked about on the WF forums (just for kicks) and I think it's been brought up a time or two here.  It would be kind of cool, but with the ability to have custom Fog I know I would be annoyed/stay away of some of the implementations of it :P

So would I, but like most enhanced game-play features, I very much appreciate them when they make sense in terms of the over-all concept of the board.    I read Kjeld's original post and I think he covered just about every possible permutation of the feature.  I agree with others that some of the options have limited use, but I really love the idea of creating blind spots on a board by being able to over-ride fog settings at the individual border level.  Reading on, I noticed that those that supported the idea were further discussing the range of customization of fog-types.   I would be very happy with a drop-down menu with a limited range for simplicity's sake.

Re: what to call it.  I'm not so sure I like "Shadow", "Cover of Darkness", or "Camouflage", because they imply its uses.  I think this is a "keep it simple stupid" candidate. How 'bout "Fog Setting", or "Individual Custom Fog Setting"?

Ed Nygma wrote: There's good and bad to most suggestions. I'm happy with how far the site has come so far already. I have ideas of things I would like implemented, but I have to give tom "hella credit" for what he's done already. You too Yertle, thanks for admin-ing.

+1 on all counts..

19. #199 / 265
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Mongrel wrote:
    Mongrel wrote: Tom, can we lower the territory bonus? I would like to assign a +1 for every 20 territories owned.

Actually, could you make it +1 for every 25?

I'm very curious what kind of board would only give +1 for 25 territories, and why I would ever want to play it. :P

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

20. #200 / 265
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This would be for low unit boards like five or some other ideas we have cooking.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   «««67891011121314   (14 in total)