5 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 25
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Hi folks. So there has been some discussion about creating a monthly WarGear newsletter. It's been mentioned in at least a couple threads, I can't remember when or where it first came up, but we've been talking about it over at http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1050plast/Notification_Settings a little bit. M57 recalls that I was going to be in charge of it so we're taking that as a given.

I'll copy my post from that thread (please keep that thread on topic from now on, comments about the newsletter should be posted here, not there), slightly edited for clarity outside from the original context:

Okay, a monthly 'newsletter' then.

I say we make receiving the newsletter via email an opt-out option on the settings page. That way if you get irritated at the 'spam' you just cut them off. They'll all be posted in a sticky thread (or their own threads, if people like to respond), probably in the Welcome Forum (there's nothing going on in there, we want first-timers to see activity/participation). And a link on the home page as well.

I'll come up with several ideas for regular/semi-regular features for the WarGupdate, some of which can be reader-submitted. An interview feature is a great idea, and Norseman is a great candidate (we'll save the Tom interview for sweeps). "Game of the Month" is another obvious one. So is "Hot New Boards". "Forum Thread of the Month" would be a good one too, either for good jokes or very interesting discussion (or both). Once I get used to the new charts and their data, I should be able to quickly find a way to highlight a certain player or certain board that has been "Making Headlines."

Just that right there would be more than enough to fill up a monthly newsletter with pretty minimal effort. And that was just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll continue coming up with more brilliant ideas. And that's in addition to the "Open Tournaments" and whatever other stuff Tom specifically wants in there.

- * - - * -- * -- * -

So. I'm asking for input on just what you guys would want this to look like. Any ideas as to what should go in it, even how long it should be. Also, what should it be called - I jokingly threw out 'WarGupdate' above, which I don't think has quite the ring I'm looking for. Maybe WarGazette? That's at least better.

Just doing my part to hold in Risky's big deal-ness

2. #2 / 25
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm going to say this to hopefully be proven wrong, but... I'd be hesitant in saying it's going to be Monthly (definitely don't call it Monthly IMO).  I just think monthly is going to come around really fast and it's going to be easy to miss or do next week.  I could also envision it being somewhat time consuming (especially if board previews/links/etc. are incorporated).  I would be surprised if it made it 6 months consecutively, but hopefully I'll be proven wrong :) (and perhaps I just think that because I know I'm a procrastinator (I was going to make one for April...haven't done that yet :P)).

On to content...

• New Features (Bug Fixes?  Maybe not)
    • New Boards (Previews/Links)
    • In Progress Features

Optional:

• Maybe some sort of Stats (Player Registrations, Games Played, Tournaments, Ranking changes, etc.)
    • I like the different "columns" idea
    • I like the Open Tournaments

That's all I got for now :)  I do look forward to the Newsletter and think it would be an excellent thing and really help as a WarGear reminder.

3. #3 / 25
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Yeah, the monthly or weekly in the title is not a good idea. As I look to the future I see it maybe being more quarterly or something like that, but then again, I'm lazy.
    I would be willing to contribute. If you would like to add "RiskyBack: Wargear Psychologist" to it. People could send me questions or concerns in a PM and I would answer them in the newsletter.
    Note: This feature will not be helpful in any way but my hopes are that it will be funny.

Cobra Commander + Larry - Mo * Curly = RiskyBack

4. #4 / 25
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

One idea that was brought up before, possibly in a different context would be some stats showing players who have recently had a good month (or whatever time frame). Something like top five championship point earners last month. This idea could certainly be expanded upon and hopefully automated. Some other ideas most games played last month, win percentage, h-rating, whatever would be interest. Maybe, top five boards played last month.

New boards seems like a great idea to include and a thought for the site ongoing would be to have featured boards of the month. These would probably need to be randomly selected and my thought would be to randomly select 2 boards from the boards with 100+ games played and 1 board from the general list. If someday we had some filtering of the boards by level or whatever, then maybe one from each category. The WarGazette could have a description of these boards, written by the designers or just taken from the board if the designer is AWOL or lazy.

I'm sure I have other ideas, but this is all that comes to mind at the moment.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

5. #5 / 25
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I understand y'alls' reservations but I have no problem with doing it monthly. Risky, I had hoped you'd volunteer. RB:WGP is in.

Also, a feature where we answer a commonly asked question would be cool too.

Edited Thu 19th Aug 19:49 [history]

6. #6 / 25
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

It would be nice to have board reviews (well written and thoughtful ones) to go in each newsletter.

7. #7 / 25
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

How 'bout WarGearzette?

I agree with Yertle.  You can put it out whenever you want ..monthly is fine, but don't commit yourself by placing the word "monthly" anywhere near the title.

Humor is a great angle, and it could set us apart from the competition. A great gaming experience is job one, but community follows close on its heals, and though it tends to be on the dry side around here, humor is definitely one of the defining qualities of this community.

Interviews with designers, top and up and coming players, etc.  I don't know about "random" boards.  I think "featured" boards is more appropriate because it leaves room for spin.  A regular columnist like Risky would make a great (if maybe a bit scary), columnist, but having the occasional guest columnist suggests the sense of community.  Even a heavily edited article by Cramchakle could work (This suggestion will probably come back to haunt me).

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

8. #8 / 25
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:  I think "featured" boards is more appropriate because it leaves room for spin.

The reason I suggested random featured as opposed to featured is that which boards are featured this month would have to be decided by someone.  who? 

Sorry to derail, will start a new thread if I really want to push this idea.

Edited Thu 19th Aug 20:35 [history]

9. #9 / 25
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:
    M57 wrote:  I think "featured" boards is more appropriate because it leaves room for spin.

The reason I suggested random featured as opposed to featured is that which boards are featured this month would have to be decided by someone.  who? 

Sorry to derail, will start a new thread if I really want to push this idea.

It's not a derail. I think it's on-topic.  t'would be the editor's decision, right?  It's not really a review.  And it's not necessarily all about the board (though that's what it looks like on the surface). It's real purpose could be about a educating the community about a specific WG feature in general, like artillery, fog, or abandon.

BAO alternative:

10. #10 / 25
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

To answer the question of "who", I nominate "me".

M's suggestion of using the 'featured board' to showcase a specific game function or ability is an awesome idea. Castles would work great for the first one, as an intro both to capitals and to some extent artillery borders.

11. #11 / 25
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I nominate Global Warfare for the first "Featured Board". With the Newsletter probably going mostly to people that have never played a game on WG (ie sort Player List by Games Played, most are at 0 Public games), I'd say start with the very basic.

12. #12 / 25
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote: I nominate Global Warfare for the first "Featured Board". With the Newsletter probably going mostly to people that have never played a game on WG (ie sort Player List by Games Played, most are at 0 Public games), I'd say start with the very basic.

+1

BAO alternative:

13. #13 / 25
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57, great spin on the idea. I was really just thinking of showcasing a few board to get greater attention, but having them used as a good example of feature blah is awesome. I second the nomination to have asm in charge of the decision of which boards to showcase unless I disagree with him about his choices at a later date; at which time I would call for a vote of no confidence.

14. #14 / 25
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

+1 to that.

15. #15 / 25
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

It doesn't have to be an editor's choice... we could just pull a random one out of a hat and, as long as it hasn't been written about in the past, it's good to go.

asm wrote:
    I... can't find anything wrong with this line of reasoning...

16. #16 / 25
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

or you could do a game play feature of the month. then list the boards that use that feature. Highlight a board and show how this feature is used effectively on the board.

17. #17 / 25
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:
    If you would like to add "RiskyBack: Wargear Psychologist" to it.

Ahhh one of the main threads that really helped lift the WF forums off the ground!

Very cool reminiscing and thinking of the path leading here (at least for me)!

*edit* Looking back I thought this was funny:

tom wrote: despite being an occasional web developer

Tidbit: tom joined the old WF forums 2 years ago today.  Most of the other "WarCore" within a 2 week period past/future from today too. 

K that's all my tidbits for now, just looking back through the old stuff over there :p

Newsletter Newsletter Newsletter :)

Edited Fri 20th Aug 15:15 [history]

18. #18 / 25
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

May the newsletter be as successful as the Warfish Blog!!!!

Cobra Commander + Larry - Mo * Curly = RiskyBack

19. #19 / 25
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ouch, Risky. Ouch.

20. #20 / 25
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank