219 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 35
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Is there anyone here that honestly only has access to a computer on the weekdays?

Otherwise just check your damn games once over the weekend, it only takes a few minutes.

Where he keeps his liquor is a secret still.

2. #22 / 35
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ok, we've been through this before. How about changing the boot structure so everyone can have their cake and eat it.

Lightning:                                            10 min
    Fast: (get your daily fix) 36 hours       1.5 days
    Normal: (for workday warriors)           3 days
    Extended: (for weekend warriors)      6 days

Re : Everyone complained about having a 1 day boot time, so how do you all feel about having an extra 12 hours?

..but we won't be happy until there is a "barren" designer feature.
    Edited Thu 1st Jul 07:08 [history]

3. #23 / 35
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote: Is there anyone here that honestly only has access to a computer on the weekdays?

Otherwise just check your damn games once over the weekend, it only takes a few minutes.

ditto. and if you get booted because you couldn't...deal with it.

besides, its not like there are that many moves that happen on the wknds anyway. i typically have 16-20 moves to make during the week, and only 4-6 on the wknd.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

4. #24 / 35
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Chillax, fellas. Obviously it seems easy to US, but we really don't want to make people feel like they have to structure their entire lives around WG just to be able to play. We're trying to attract the casual gamer, not drive them away and ensure they never come back. If that means you have to wait an extra 12 hours to play a turn, join another couple of games.

The onus is on us to make new/non-hardcore members feel welcome and comfortable, not the other way around.

IF YOU ARE SUGGESTING ASM IS A GOOD PLAYER YOU WILL STOP NOW, OR I WILL CALL HR AND I WILL PUT AN END TO IT, FOR THAT IS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME.

5. #25 / 35
    Standard Member GnuFlip
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Thanks asm.

I like M57's idea of a third boot option, but that could possibly make things worse. the 2-day boot is the preference for the majority of games, if it's removed then people may start making all the games with 1.5 days now instead of 2.

I doubt many people would start changing their timezones to get more time since the vacation period would be easier to use anyway. DST would be difficult to handle though.
    Would it be possible to have a JS validation when the user sets the timezone? If they're setting it to something that doesn't match {new Date()} then they'd get a warning: "Caution, the current timezone doesn't match. Check for DST, blah blah."

Also if we could do timezones, then 1pm on Monday would be better since that gives people the lunch hour to take their turns.

6. #26 / 35
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

One alternative would be to give people a grace period in each game, maybe 24 hours. If a player is about to be skipped, the grace period would start counting down. It could be replenished by taking turns faster than the maximum turn time. For example, if someone took 3 days to take their first turn, they would use up their entire grace period. If their next turn took only 1 day, they would have then regained some fraction of the "unused" time for that turn (perhaps half of the unused day). The grace period would max out at some value, probably the initial value of 24 hours.

Edited Thu 1st Jul 13:34 [history]

7. #27 / 35
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

A grace period?  Are you Catholic by any chance?  I like this idea.

GnuFlip wrote: ..but that could possibly make things worse. the 2-day boot is the preference for the majority of games, if it's removed then people may start making all the games with 1.5 days now instead of 2.

I was thinking 3 days would be the norm for most folks.  One problem I can think of is that there could be a division of WGheads - the Weekday vs the Weekend Warriors - membership numbers may not support this right now.

Hmmm  ..a grace period..  Speedy play awards time, which is granted by the GearGods.  How 'bout ya put a little money in the basket to pay ..uh, I mean pray for those weekend sins?  Ka-Ching!

Go for the money Tom!

..but we won't be happy until there is a "barren" designer feature.
    Edited Thu 1st Jul 14:16 [history]

8. #28 / 35
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

A grace period?  Are you Catholic by any chance?  I like this idea.

Haha, actually I'm Lutheran.  I won't sidetrack this thread with a theological discussion of the differing Catholic and Protestant views of grace, though.

In any case, I was thinking along these lines in my usage of the word "grace":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_period

9. #29 / 35
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Hmmm, sorry if I inadvertently killed this thread...

10. #30 / 35
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I think we've just all run out of things to say about it. We've had the discussion before, we each have our opinions, and nothing has been settled or likely will be any time soon.

So, Lutheran eh?

profile image courtesy IRoll11s' mad drawing skills using the new chat client

11. #31 / 35
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

What he said.

I always like Episcopalian, because it's fun to say.

Where he keeps his liquor is a secret still.

12. #32 / 35
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, I'm still getting booted and skipped pretty often. I go camping on week-ends quite often so this just isn't working for me.

Edited Wed 1st Sep 03:38 [history]

13. #33 / 35
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote:

So, Lutheran eh?

Something about eating worms.

Longest innings. Most deadly.

14. #34 / 35
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ander: For whatever reason, we are now having this discussion in the following forum thread: http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1062/Do_away_with_vacation

Just doing my part to hold in Risky's big deal-ness

15. #35 / 35
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: Ander: For whatever reason, we are now having this discussion in the following forum thread: http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1062/Do_away_with_vacation

It is because we have the great ability to stay on topic within the forum discussions and never seem to slide back into the usual debates.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)