224 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123456   (6 in total)
  1. #41 / 116
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

But white would need to bring some support from another column before making this move, which he could in turns 4 and 5

2. #42 / 116
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

After playing a game with Hugh, I discovered (the hard way) a maneuver that I didn't realize was possible: the wrap-around fortify. I know it's right there in the directions, which I know I should have read more carefully and it's completely my own fault for being an idiot, but I still feel used. It's an unclean feeling.

So for all of you out there who have done something incredibly stupid and placed yourself on the sacrificial altar like a lamb for slaughter, and are now too dumb to even pretend to contribute to a discussion like this one, I've started a new thread: The Stupid Mistake Support Group.

Edited Fri 4th Jun 14:26 [history]

3. #43 / 116
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Mongrel wrote:
    Yertle wrote:
    Edward Nygma wrote: There is at least one solution vs Black taking the first 3 in rows 4 and 5...

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/20141

And had White taken all 4 rows at the bottom?  http://www.wargear.net/games/player/19989

White fortifies to the 3rd row instead of the fourth, leaving two points of access to row 4 if and when it's completed, and blocking row 3.

Yeah, I realized afterward that I should have done that instead.

EDIT: Wait!  Then black can take row 4 and fortify the unit in row 5 up, preventing white from breaking row 4.

Edited Fri 4th Jun 14:22 [history]

4. #44 / 116
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Not that wrap-frotify turn, because yertle could have fortified rows 4 and 5 to block. But you could have brought in some cavalry while protecting that space, then execute the fortify. Probably better to just start down column 3, if they fire two out of row 5.

5. #45 / 116
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Beat me to the chase. Nice

6. #46 / 116
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

So it looks like white can't counter the double row 5 move from column 4 if black moves perfectly... is that right?

7. #47 / 116
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

The other suggestion by Mongrel, that of going down column 3 instead of column 1 with your free move looks more promising to me. White can then keep the row 4/5 units where they are and use column 3 to forcibly defend row 3. Jutting out the row 2 and 3 units from black is answered by throwing the column 3 unit into row 3. From there, I tried some tricky looking black moves, but white can defend. There may be possibilities I haven't accounted for, but the column 3 move looks promising to me.

8. #48 / 116
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

After playing a game with Hugh, I discovered (the hard way) a maneuver that I didn't realize was possible: the wrap-around fortify. I know it's right there in the directions, which I know I should have read more carefully and it's completely my own fault for being an idiot, but I still feel used. It's an unclean feeling.

So for all of you out there who have done something incredibly stupid and placed yourself on the sacrificial altar like a lamb for slaughter, and are now too dumb to even pretend to contribute to a discussion like this one, I've started a new thread: The Stupid Mistake Support Group.

At least 50% of my matches on Five could be discussed here.

9. #49 / 116
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Ok, after a much more rigourous process, I again think I have a winning series of moves.

10. #50 / 116
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Great, use it on us in the tourney.

11. #51 / 116
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Unfortunately I only get black half the time :( 

Edited Fri 4th Jun 17:18 [history]

12. #52 / 116
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

And Ed, In your example, if black takes column 4 of the bottom row instead of column 3 of the third row, then no matter what move you make, he will advance the bottom row to the 5th column, fortify back to the 4th, and advance the 4th row to the 3rd column. Your next move must be to move your 4th row man down into the bottom right square, at which point black moves his 4th row man over to the 5th column. At best you have another man in the 2nd row of one of your columns, which can be blocked by fortifying up the black man in the bottom row.

13. #53 / 116
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Found that one out the hard way...

14. #54 / 116
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I see a block.

15. #55 / 116
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

For white to block black from winning in Ed's example? I would like to see.  I'm 99% sure that scenario is a certain black victory.

Edited Sat 5th Jun 01:53 [history]

16. #56 / 116
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

No, the tactic you mentioned can be blocked. There is precisely one move that does it - as you say, if black has the last row in the 4th column and the 2nd to last row in the 2nd column, a major threat is to move the last row to column 5 and the 2nd to last to column 3. Almost all moves are subject to this tactic. Except one:

White takes his 4th column unit into the 5th column to block the 5th row 5th column square. It seems like black can then just move the 2nd to last row to column 4, threatening to take row 4 (or row 5), but white moves down into the very bottom row so that the unit from up top can transfer up, so that both units block both row 4 and row 5. Of course, the question from here is whether black can improve his play to force a win in the style of:

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/19989

The game contains the main idea of the defense to the tactic you mention.

17. #57 / 116
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

You are talking about a similar but different situation Hugh. In Ed's example, white has a man out in the 4th column like in yours, however, the winnning move for black is to bring the bottom row man to the 3rd column, and the 4th row man to the 2nd column, which does not occur in your game.

18. #58 / 116
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This is where screen shots would be helpful.

19. #59 / 116
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Alright, I'll try this one more time:

It's white's first non-forced move. In this scenario, I think white has a counter- and by counter, I mean a situation where white can prevent black from winning in, let's say 5 turns.

20. #60 / 116
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

As you can see, if black has won, then it is clear black can not win again. Five, solved.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123456   (6 in total)