232 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1234567   (7 in total)
  1. #81 / 132
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

It seems very interesting but the series is not available on the Kindle yet so I requested the first one to be made available. Seems like something I may enjoy but not if it is only on paper.
    Currently I am reading the Galaxy Unknown series by Thomas DiPrima. Really they aren't the kind of books that are gonna make an English Major salivate over the use of foreshadowing or character development (in fact the biggest surprises are that you have to suspend your disbelief so much and just let the author tell the story without overly worrying about how exactly you got to that point). It's a Space Opera with a few cool battles and an intriguing plot of galactic diplomacy. Heck, the main character is a Lt Commander that has been genetically altered to become a Sex Slave so there is that (although not developed as much as it could be).
    If you have a desire to just read something that will take up your time, give you a few laughs but be enjoyable without causing you to think too much, I like this series.

Cobra Commander + Larry - Mo * Curly = RiskyBack

2. #82 / 132
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Fell out of Lies, couldn't get into it. Fell out of the third Ender's Shadow book (ugh that got annoying!). I really really dislike not finishing books but those just dragged me down.

Picked up book one of the Dresden files and just started that yesterday, so far I'm liking it!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

3. #83 / 132
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I've read all the Dresden Files and liked them. I really liked the show too and it is worth the $15 on Amazon to pick up the 1 season it was on.
    Don't really understand how you couldn't get into Lies of Locke Lamora but I guess different people have different tastes. You are right about the Shadow series and I like Bean more than I like Ender but Card just went all over the place with that series. I don't know if I've ever been happier to read the end of a series than I was with Shadow of the Giant. He even ended up making Petra pretty lame and I thought that would be impossible.
    Haven't really read anything recently that really jonesed me to the point where I would suggest it but I will re-suggest "Soon I will Be Invincible". It's a superhero book told from the bad guy's point of view and it is funny and entertaining.

Cobra Commander + Larry - Mo * Curly = RiskyBack

4. #84 / 132
    Standard Member Seige07
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

If you're looking for some fun books, I've recently been getting into the Terry Prachett books based in Discworld. The Colour of Magic is the first book chronologically but you don't have to read them in order. They have a shared world and characters but each one is it's own story. Lighter reading with a good amount of humor. Loosely based on the medieval setting.

All your base are belong to us

5. #85 / 132
    Standard Member bdf101
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

To whoever it was way back when who suggested Drizzt, thankee. Thankee a looooot!!! I guess I still haven't grown up yet, and they're bloomin' marvellous! Homeland read, onto the rest of the series.

6. #86 / 132
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I like R.A. Salvatore a lot. The Drizzt books are great. There are like 22 drizzt based books right now I think so no shortage of material. You should also read the Cleric Quintet.

7. #87 / 132
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

And the spin-off/continuation series "War of the Spider Queen" written by five other authors.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

8. #88 / 132
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

"No Mercy- The biography of John Walsh."

The Host of Americas Most wanted hunts the worst criminals of our time, in shattering true crime cases.

Longest innings. Most deadly.

9. #89 / 132
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Risky -

Three suggestions:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ringworld by Larry Niven

The Gunslinger (Dark Tower Series) by Steven King *Not a typical horror book

10. #90 / 132
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Well aware of the Ender Series, however I liked Ender's Shadow more.
    Never heard of Ringworld so I will check that out.
    NOT going to start anything in the Dark Tower Series for the same reasons I won't read Wheel of Time or any David Gemmell series....too long. I like stories that can be told in 3 books or less. I have some series that I read and I don't want to get involved in any more. A friend of mine wants me to read the Molozan series and I refuse based on that.
    Keep the suggestions coming. I've read a lot of crap recently.

Where's Hugh?

11. #91 / 132
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote: Well aware of the Ender Series, however I liked Ender's Shadow more.
    Never heard of Ringworld so I will check that out.
    NOT going to start anything in the Dark Tower Series for the same reasons I won't read Wheel of Time or any David Gemmell series....too long. I like stories that can be told in 3 books or less.  

Seems like you're not the type of person who enjoys the journey as much as the destination, so definitely do NOT read the Dark Tower Series.

12. #92 / 132
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Don't get me wrong, I love a good series and often get upset when they end if I've been enjoying them but I just have found that series that go on too long start to meander and get lost and the story is being told for the sake of telling the story rather than moving it along.
    I think the best example of this is the Sword of Truth series. Wizards First Rule was really interesting and fun and the next few didn't really disappoint either but then all the sudden the author realized that he had something more to say but no way of saying it so the whole series went off in a totally different direction and often with other characters and different points of view. If done really well, this could be exceedingly cool (Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow for example) but in this case it just sucked.
    I get annoyed easily and rarely forgive the person or thing that annoys me. It's just yet another in a long list of my charms.
    P.S. I never say "in my opinion" because I just assume that if I am the one saying it you know it's my opinion and that I have not been possessed by a higher power that only speaks infallibly (Pope RiskyBack has a nice ring to it, however).

Where's Hugh?

13. #93 / 132
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

There are quite a few books in the Dresden series right? How's that overall series? I just finished Book 1 and it was pretty good (few "Eureka" moments that seemed out of place, and the ending was a bit abrupt), wondering if I should continue with the series.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

Yertle: I really don't know what we'd be doing if tom didn't start WG
    Yertle: scary to think about :p
    RiskyBack: You'd have more kids and I'd have a real job, probably

14. #94 / 132
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I liked the Dresden Files but basically just because of Harry. I think he's a fun character but it goes on and on and he gets more powerful but forgets about it and stuff. Never disliked any of the books, however. There are 8 or 9 of them at the moment and not another one coming out until spring at the earliest, I think.
    See, the Dresden Files are all individual stories told in each book that all relate back to each other but there isn't really a ongoing storyline. There is but not so much that you have to get the next book right away to find out what happens. There is a resolution at the end of the books and hints towards other things but it's more like a TV show cliffhanger than a series of books. I can deal with series like that.

Where's Hugh?

15. #95 / 132
    Standard Member nullsignal
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

holy moly. i'll be going through this list for suggestions soon, but I'm not going to right now, so this may be redundant, because I am a lazy ass. Here are some authors I'd suggest (though I'm sure most of them are so obvious that they're silly):
    Vonnegut
    Larry Niven
    Orson Scott Card
    Pynchon (though he can be trying)
    P. K. Dick

16. #96 / 132
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

To say that Pynchon can be trying is like saying I can be annoying. I don't think I've ever finished any of his books. I start off all excited about the story but then get bogged down and stop reading. He's no Steven Baxter (who writes great book jackets but horrible books) but he's close.
    Vonnegut, Dick and Card are SciFi Gods!

Where's Hugh?

17. #97 / 132
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Sounds like next stop for you is Ringworld (Niven).  I think you'll enjoy the ride and even be able to stop along the way for the "World's Largest Potato" distractions without losing interest.

18. #98 / 132
    Standard Member kinetix
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

You still need to pick up and read the Drizzt Do'Urden series...starting with the Dark Elf Triology followed by Icewindale....

Trust!

EDIT:  You can end with those books and be content.

Edited Tue 23rd Nov 15:08 [history]

19. #99 / 132
    Standard Member The Rope
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Malazan Book of the Fallen by steven erikson.  I don't mind that it switches viewpoints all over the place and each book starts up again with something new.  After a while, you start to see the depth of the world they created and everything flows into one giant mess of plot.  Book 10, the final in the main arc comes out at the beginning of next year, although they are writing all sorts of side books and series based in the same world, it sounds like.

20. #100 / 132
    Standard Member Angusjustice
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

1963 cat's cadle Kurt Vonnegut

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234567   (7 in total)