1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 37
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote:
    Yertle wrote: Vacation is really that tough?

Have you been reading this thread?

Yep.

2. #22 / 37
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

People get in jams, flights get delayed, or you move to the mountains where you don't have access to internet for two days, as you had anticipated.

It's not that vacation is tough. Life's tough.

Longest innings. Most deadly.

3. #23 / 37
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

This has been about the Vacation setting, not about why there is Vacation or the length of boot/skip timers.

4. #24 / 37
    Standard Member Seige07
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Mongrel wrote: People get in jams, flights get delayed, or you move to the mountains where you don't have access to internet for two days, as you had anticipated.

It's not that vacation is tough. Life's tough.

There is one thing that could be added and I think it would help every people Mongrel listed except the random two days in the mountains.

Put a sentence letting people know that if you arrive home early you can cancel the rest of your vacation, after taking your turns of course. When ever I'm going to be gone, I set an extra day or two on my vacation, then when I get home, I take my turns and cancel the rest. That way if something did get happen I wouldn't have to worry about it.

All your base are belong to us

5. #25 / 37
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    asm wrote:
    Yertle wrote: Vacation is really that tough?

Have you been reading this thread?

Yep.

Then I don't understand the question. Every single person in this thread reporting an experience of using the vacation setting has said that they either didn't get it or messed it up and ended up skipping all of their turns as soon as the vacation ended. These at people that we know are very smart. Obviously there's a flaw in the system. If you don't like to think of it as being 'vacation is tough,' call it a lack of documentation of the way the system works, since that's the obvious solution that has already been suggested at least twice.

Just doing my part to hold in Risky's big deal-ness

6. #26 / 37
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Well, for me at least it wasn't so much that I wasn't informed - I knew that as soon as the vacation ended the turns would be skipped... it was just I had no time to actually log on and take turns / extend the vacation. :P

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

7. #27 / 37
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Vacation Page Says: You can set up vacation periods to cover the time while you are unable to get to WarGear to take your turn. This protects you from being booted from any games for the duration of the vacation. Set the start and end dates for your vacation and hit 'Go' to apply. Note that these dates are inclusive.

I read that as you are safe from being booted for the duration of your Vacation, not before, not after, but during.

Vacation Page Says: [End Vacation]

That's present when you set a Vacation.  I would think that indicates a Cancel/End.

*shrug* Just seems like the information is there.  Perhaps it needs to be worded differently or I guess it could just be plain ole restated again, but anyhow *shrug*.

8. #28 / 37
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

idk, my whole thing is that I don't want to schedule an extra day of vacation just in case I'm gone longer than expected, because often times it's a single weekend that I'll be gone but when I have 5+ of those a year, an extra day of vacation each time will really add up. I'm not arguing that it's pretty clear on the wiki (I agree with you there), I just think it should be changed. :P

Obviously it's just my opinion. If others don't think the "safety time" is necessary, then so be it.

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

9. #29 / 37
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

You set it then cancel it if not needed. You only "lose" a day of Vacation at the end of a day, not at the start of it. For example if you set Vacation for today and tomorrow and you End Vacation tomorrow at 1:00 pm then you only drop one vacation day, todays.

10. #30 / 37
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote: You set it then cancel it if not needed. You only "lose" a day of Vacation at the end of a day, not at the start of it. For example if you set Vacation for today and tomorrow and you End Vacation tomorrow at 1:00 pm then you only drop one vacation day, todays.

So then my previous comment about the "all vacations need to be rounded up to the nearest day" applies if we would like to have a day cushion at the end of vacation time.  Otherwise, I set a vacation and then cancel and get a free day.

*edit: I wouldn't argue this was useful only that it could be done.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.
    Edited Thu 26th Aug 20:50 [history]

11. #31 / 37
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

if you set your vacation for lets say 7 days and you cancel your vacation after only using 4 do you lose the 3 left over or do they get put back on you account?

12. #32 / 37
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

They get put back on your account.
    Of course that means you should have taken all your turns before you ended your vacation or you would be skipped, which then means you aren't really holding any games up so the 3 days should be put back on your account.

13. #33 / 37
    Standard Member Seige07
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

KrocK wrote: if you set your vacation for lets say 7 days and you cancel your vacation after only using 4 do you lose the 3 left over or do they get put back on you account?

They get put back. It only takes away the full days used.

All your base are belong to us

14. #34 / 37
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote: You set it then cancel it if not needed. You only "lose" a day of Vacation at the end of a day, not at the start of it. For example if you set Vacation for today and tomorrow and you End Vacation tomorrow at 1:00 pm then you only drop one vacation day, todays.

Ah, see this I did not know. Thanks!

15. #35 / 37
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Vataro wrote:

Ah, see this I did not know. Thanks!

Can we add this clarification to the description?

e.g. If you end your vacation before the scheduled time then you will only be charged for full days that you used.

16. #36 / 37
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Thanks all, I've updated the text on the vacation page to explain this better.

17. #37 / 37
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Not necessarily "immediately booted" but possibly just "skipped".

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)