230 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12345   (5 in total)
  1. #61 / 90
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I have faith that even if the RNG is streaky so are dice rolls in real life and that we will all see that in the end, the distribution of dice rolls produced by the RNG are where they should be.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

2. #62 / 90
    Standard Member Cyan-ide
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I apologize for whining and complaining.  Just a little bit more and then I'll stop, I promise :)

<whiney-part>
    I try not to complain about the dice since it's one of those things, like you say, where all the 10-2 losses are made up by 2-10 wins that are easily missed and over time things do tend to even out.  But I really do feel like I've had the worst luck of my dice-rolling career since my start on Wargear, particularly on the attack.  I keep thinking the bad-luck streak will come to an end.  4,5,6 games in a row of brutal luck: I've seen it before on other sites.  But it seems like every game I play on Wargear is like this.
    </whiney-part>

Phew, I feel better already.  Glad to hear luck stats are on the agenda.  It's just nice, for me at least, to see what's going on with the luck (and then silently blame fate, God, my dog, or the RNG for the dice-rolling fiasco).

I'm not trying to blame anyone or anything, just trying to state my motivation for wanting to see luck statistics.  I know it doesn't change anything to have luck stats or a global luck statistic like I suggested.  It was just a thought I had.

PS: I've never been intimidated by somebody else's luck score, it has no bearing on whether or not I choose to attack.

3. #63 / 90
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I have yet to hear anybody say that they are getting INCREDIBLE rolls and that the RNG loves them therefor it must be the same for everybody or those people are just sitting on their hands hoping it never ends.

People Always Leave

4. #64 / 90
    Standard Member AdamN
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Just to be the exception that proves the rule, gimli and I are playing a game of appamatox and after saying to not get frustrated by the huge losses that occur on that map, I proceded to win the first 6 attacks. Those of you who know the game know that it isn't unusual to go 6 attacks without winning a single attack. In other words I'm using up all the good luck available. Sorry to be a hog.

5. #65 / 90
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It lucky to win two attacks in a row on that board, but 6 is unbelievable.

I have valleys of poor luck, usually a week to two in a row and then I have spikes of great luck, a day or two.  To be honest, like anything we humans tend to focus on the bad and not the good which is why it takes great luck for me to even notice.  The games where I try an elimination with 20 units against 20 units spread over 7 territories is a lucky attack to win.  When I do succeed, I take little notice because I have future turns to prepare for, but when I lose, I just click the next available turn knowing that I will probably be seeing that eliminated email come before I finish my turns.

6. #66 / 90
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:

..humans tend to focus on the bad and not the good which is why it takes great luck for me to even notice..  

lol - I know what you mean, but it sounds like you're saying that you have to be lucky to notice that you're lucky.  Can we have a stat for that?

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

7. #67 / 90
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yes, I was trying to say that it only takes moderately bad luck to say the loses are bad luck whereas it takes fantastically good luck to notice the wins as good luck (not intending game win/loses, just attacks).
    Yes, there is a stat for that and it is on its way.

8. #68 / 90
    Standard Member Cyan-ide
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Alright!  I'm seeing some sort of luck stats in my games now.  When I click on it, the first thing at the top of the page says:

If you would like to have access to Luck stats and history please consider signing up for Premium Membership

I find this message to be confusing... it says that and then below it shows a bunch of dice distributions and whatnot which are presumably the luck-stats that I apparently already have access to... and I do have access to the history...  don't I?  

In terms of luck-stats, I was hoping for something that would provide a luck score and/or a luck graph.  If I have a premium membership, will I be provided with those types of things ... is that what the message is trying to get at?

9. #69 / 90
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Cyan-ide wrote:

In terms of luck-stats, I was hoping for something that would provide a luck score and/or a luck graph.  If I have a premium membership, will I be provided with those types of things ... is that what the message is trying to get at?

Yep, here's what Premiums get in addition to the Dice information taken from http://www.wargear.net/games/view/45184 :

b89739dcd11d1fafc87c09bd732e0a19.png

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

10. #70 / 90
    Standard Member Cyan-ide
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

nice!  only -7, must've been relatively lucky that game.  Thanks Yertle.

11. #71 / 90
    Standard Member Thrilla
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yeah, well notice that the red guy is nearly +17.  So the difference is really 27.  Hard to overcome that.  

12. #72 / 90
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The cool thing to note in that game is that Cyan-ide won that game :).  Even with the Luck the way it was (I didn't watch the History or anything, but no boots and thought it was cool).

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

13. #73 / 90
    Standard Member Seige07
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

The cool thing to note in that game is that Cyan-ide won that game :).  Even with the Luck the way it was (I didn't watch the History or anything, but no boots and thought it was cool).

I've only looked a few games in my history but found a couple like this. Be interesting to see what % of games I won with bad luck or lost with good luck.

All your base are belong to us

14. #74 / 90
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ooooooh look what I learned to do today!!!  Check out the show/hide link to a screenshot of Premium Luck Stats! http://www.wargear.net/help/display/FAQ#Luck

15. #75 / 90
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Seige07 wrote:
    Yertle wrote:

I've only looked a few games in my history but found a couple like this. Be interesting to see what % of games I won with bad luck or lost with good luck.

Expanding on this idea, with two statistics that will be shot down immediately, but I think would be awesome:

A site-wide luck graph for each player. One chart, all your rolls.

For each board, a calculation of average luck of winner (> n games played on the board total). This could be split up over m-player games.

Too much ammunition for the luck whiners?

Longest innings. Most deadly.

16. #76 / 90
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Not singling you out, cyanide. I've b*tched about luck once or twice.

17. #77 / 90
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Mongrel wrote:

I don't imagine this as being very helpful or interesting. I'm thinking that over time it will look the similar for every player.  I think it will be a meandering line that slides between a positive and negative score for most players.  And again, an overall number will have no meaning unless # of games is taken into account.

I think there's some room for improvement.  My backdoor stDev idea was shot down.  Alpha understood it so I'm sure it was given due consideration. And I do like the LS number that is being produced, but working on an additional stat based on the LS number that gives it time sensitive context.

For each board, a calculation of average luck of winner (> n games played on the board total). This could be split up over m-player games.

I like.  Some boards will undoubtedly have a stronger correlation between luck and winning than others.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Thu 27th Jan 08:06 [history]

18. #78 / 90
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

Ooooooh look what I learned to do today!!!  Check out the show/hide link to a screenshot of Premium Luck Stats! http://www.wargear.net/help/display/FAQ#Luck

nice!

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

19. #79 / 90
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Mongrel wrote:

I don't imagine this as being very helpful or interesting. I'm thinking that over time it will look the similar for every player.  I think it will be a meandering line that slides between a positive and negative score for most players.  And again, an overall number will have no meaning unless # of games is taken into account.

I think there's some room for improvement.  My backdoor stDev idea was shot down.  Alpha understood it so I'm sure it was given due consideration. And I do like the LS number that is being produced, but working on an additional stat based on the LS number that gives it time sensitive context.

I like.  Some boards will undoubtedly have a stronger correlation between luck and winning than others.

You be right about the site wide player luck, but you might be wrong. There are some people here complaining about eternally poor luck, and after starting at some charts after a few hours, and some gut-check math, I now believe, in fact, there SHOULD be arbitrarily long streaks of ascending luck and descending luck. Which would not be the fault of the RNG, but just the nature of the dice. So Risky, the dice hating you might just be how they roll.

And I liked the SD idea, but don't want to change what's in place, cause I like it, and I'm selfish. A second chart would work for me.

20. #80 / 90
    Standard Member Cyan-ide
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Mongrel wrote:

Not singling you out, cyanide. I've b*tched about luck once or twice.

I'd like to think I can whine like the best of them!  By all means, single me out!  And really, don't hesitate to ask if you're ever in need for a real sob-story about how mean the RNG is to me.

I'm also in favor of your 'global' statistic showing a luck score and graph for all your rolls across all your games combined together.  M57 doesn't see the value of it... but even single-game luck stats really have no bearing on the game, it's just nice to know and helps to confirm the debacle of dice rolling that seems to plague me.  I realize that implementing it might be infeasible and that bigger things are probably on the agenda, but I like the idea.

"3vs1 and I lose 9:1?"  ... cover the children's ears.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12345   (5 in total)