214 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

In the trailer for the movie does it really show the ending where the planet is blown up?  Isn't that one of the worst things to do is show the ending in a trailer?!

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

2. #2 / 18
    Standard Member Xrayjay
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Its sort of like watching Game of Thrones after you've read the books....

3. #3 / 18
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>In the trailer for the movie does it really show the ending where the planet is blown up?  Isn't that one of the worst things to do is show the ending in a trailer?!

I heard the argument that you wouldn't understand what is being shown unless you've already read the book anyway.

4. #4 / 18
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

>In the trailer for the movie does it really show the ending where the planet is blown up?  Isn't that one of the worst things to do is show the ending in a trailer?!

I heard the argument that you wouldn't understand what is being shown unless you've already read the book anyway.

+1 Kinda like showing the end of Titanic.

Fortune favors the bold, and chance favors the prepared mind...

5. #5 / 18
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Talk about a surprise ending.

6. #6 / 18
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

I can understand that, but also whenever I see a Trailer for a movie and then go see the movie, I'm normally waiting for some scenes from the Trailer to show up...sooo as the anticipation is building it seems like it may be possible to know what is going to happen, which may be kind of a let down in my opinion.

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

7. #7 / 18
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm with you Yertle. Trailers these days show too much. The goal is to entice viewers to see the movie, but without giving away the plot elements.

8. #8 / 18
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

+1 to above comments.  One solution to this problem which I have seen implemented is to show scenes of the movie that had been cut.  So you get a feel for the movie without ruining it for you.  If would be great if more studios implmented this approach.

9. #9 / 18
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

People might feel ripped off, because the footage in the trailer is not actually in the movie.

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

10. #10 / 18
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

The only goal of a trailer is to make people spend money to see it. Period.

Fortune favors the bold, and chance favors the prepared mind...

11. #11 / 18
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

In this case I have to say that the story leading up to the ending is the climax and why, how and the future ramifications are much more important than that outcome.

Plus, if people haven't read the book, they should because no movie, no matter how well done, can EVER do justice to that story.  Oh, unless Joss does it...Joss could do it!

In Joss We Trust

I don't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my butt
    Edited Sun 12th May 22:23 [history]

12. #12 / 18
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I HATE trailers that show too much.

I read the book for the first time recently. Very impressive. Everyone told me how awesome it was and I was not disappointed. Anyway, the planet blowing up is not what I associate with the ending. There are two very important "twists" that outweigh the planet blowing up. Still. Man. Unnecessary. Stupid trailers.

13. #13 / 18
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Just saw the movie...thought it was pretty well done. Obviously, they couldn't fit everything from the book in. Thought all the actors performed well. I predict Hailee Steinfeld will be the new 'it girl' in a few years, taking over for Emma Watson.

The one downside is they didn't touch on the political element of Peter and Valentine and the intra-world politics.

14. #14 / 18
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote: 

The one downside is they didn't touch on the political element of Peter and Valentine and the intra-world politics.

The one downside is only having two battles in the battle school.

15. #15 / 18
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That's the second downside. Methinks the dvd will proably be loaded with deleted scenes.

16. #16 / 18
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Just saw the movie. I think the visuals were superb and the acting was good enough to let me get lost in the story. Disappointing but understandable how much they had to leave out. Imagine having to tell that story in one movie, with no idea if a follow-up would be possible!

In the end it felt somewhat rushed for me since I knew the books so well...hope they get a chance to do Ender's Shadow.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

17. #17 / 18
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Saw it last night.  Enjoyed it overall.

Of course I'm a big fan of the book and the Peter/Valentine sub-plot that was left out- so it is difficult for me to rate the movie objectively.  In particular I did not like the boat scene.

I really liked Harrison Ford's Graff though.  I think he conveyed how much anguish Graff was feeling for all that was going on without the need for verbalizing it. 

18. #18 / 18
    Premium Member Snake Eyes
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

Talk about a surprise ending.

Think that was surprising,
    Did you see they made a "Titanic 2?"

It followed the same blueprints, built to the same specs, then charted the same course as the original.

I won't spoil it and tell you how that one ended.  (iceberg) (sank)

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)