219 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 14
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

As an option, it would be nice to get an e-mail say 1 hour before getting booted or skipped. When you receive the normal "it's your turn e-mail", you know you have 2, 3 or 7 days so you usually don't pay much attention to it, then you forget about it.

This e-mail should be different than the e-mail "it's your turn in the game..." with an URGENT at the begining.

Is this a good idea or will it push players to wait till they get this reminder e-mail ?

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth
    Edited Tue 14th Feb 04:46 [history]

2. #2 / 14
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I would sign up for such e-mails.

3. #3 / 14
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Toto wrote:

Is this a good idea or will it push players to wait till they get this reminder e-mail ?

I would doubt that any player that plays their turns regularly would suddenly start waiting for a 1 hour warning.  If anything, this would assist the casual player that does not live wargear like the rest of us.

Ad Extremum Omnia Sunt Limosus

4. #4 / 14
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I like the idea although I am not near my computer enough for a 1 hour warning to be sufficient.  Could you just have someone come to my house/work and let me know?  Barring that maybe a configurable time frame?  A 3 hour warning would probably work well for me.

5. #5 / 14
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

I like the idea although I am not near my computer enough for a 1 hour warning to be sufficient.  Could you just have someone come to my house/work and let me know?  Barring that maybe a configurable time frame?  A 3 hour warning would probably work well for me.

Very funny; but actually, this is not a bad idea..

A configurable nudge e-mail setting, with a pull-down menu for number of hours pre-boot you would like the e-mail to be sent.

Raptor wrote:

<<If anything, this would assist the casual player that does not live wargear like the rest of us.>>

This is another reason why it should be a premium member only feature.  The last thing we want is a feature that slows down play.

I'm on the fence about the whole thing;  I'll probably never use it because I check my WG account more than my e-mail, but I can see where it would be useful for others.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

6. #6 / 14
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I was thinking about the times where I am swamped with stuff to get done (especially when coming back from vacation) and I have to do triage and prioritize which turns to take and which to put off until the next day.  A couple of times I have overlooked one and been skipped because of it -

I agree with M57 that we don't want a feature that slows down play, but we do want features to keep people involved.  I think this would be more of the latter then the former. So I think it should be for everyone with a 4 hour default set.

+1 to making it configurable also.

7. #7 / 14
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I did not mention it, but making it configurable is obviously much better.

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

8. #8 / 14
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'd actually use this nowadays too!

9. #9 / 14
    Standard Member GreenPower
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

+1. I turned off the normal reminders, but having a 'you are close to timing out' would be really nice. Being able to say how many hours before you timeout would be the ultimate for me.

10. #10 / 14
    Standard Member collider
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

+1

Getting a mail you have been skipped is such a bummer, that when it happens (even if it happens very rarely), I really wish, I had been warned. Don't think this would slow down the turns - normaly people play as soon as they can/want to, but if it's a busy day it can happen you forget and then this reminder would really help.

11. #11 / 14
    Lieutenant poq poq is offline now
    Standard Member poq
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

+1 

Most people nowadays have some sort of mobile device with them. So if push comes to shove and one hour is not enough to get back to your pc, you can still take the turn on your mobile.

12. #12 / 14
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I check here probably 3 times a day, so never an issue for me.

Off Topic!

13. #13 / 14
    Premium Member Farm Wife
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I think this would be a good idea.  Sometimes life just gets in the way and especially with the one day games it can get tense.  You get a call that someone has gone into hospital suddenly or even you just get the flu or something-WG takes a back seat in a hurry.  

I can't play on my phone, but I can set vacation on it so if I was notified in time I could at least do that to avoid being skipped or booted until I could get to a computer to take my turn.

Awesome idea!

14. #14 / 14
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i've asked for this before, don't recall tom's response.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)