1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1234   (4 in total)
  1. #1 / 63
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Also please express any preference you have on:

1. Keeping all the maps as scenarios of one map, or leaving them as separate maps.
    2. How to vote on which map wins.

Anything else we need to figure out before we start the voting?

2. #2 / 63
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

1. I vote to keep them as seperate maps and ask tom very nicely to add a category or subheading for mapmaking competitions.

2. Ideally it would be nice if there were some mechanic in the aforementioned mapmaking section to allow for voting and such.  Short of that I'm not sure how the best way to go about that is.  I know I haven't played all the Pangaea maps and it would probably take another month or more to have everyone play a game on each map and vote fairly.

3. #3 / 63
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

1. Combine into one board with multiple scenarios.

2. Of these:

• Instant Run Off : just like the voting on map theme.
    • Cross Country style : rank all the scenarios  - 1st place is 1 point, etc.  Total the points & scenario with the least points wins.
    • Top 3 : Rank the top three scenarios.  1st place gets 3 points, 2nd 2 points, 3rd 1 point.  Scenario with the most points  wins.

I think I would vote for #3, although don't have strong feelings about not doing 1 or 2 instead.  It'd be nice if voters played all boards (even a 2 player game if possible perhaps) prior to voting, but as long as we have no Smor/Doom voting :) going on then I could see potentially just an honor system that the voters know what they are doing.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

He has risen!

4. #4 / 63
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

1. Ok this might be a strange idea: one map with scenarios for the voting (just so they are all in one place and easy to find).  Then after the winner is crowned take down the voting map  and each designer can choose to publish their map on its own.  Wargear would provide 1st, 2nd  and 3rd place ribbon graphics for each designer to incorporate into the board image.

2. I prefer - Top 3 : Rank the top three scenarios.  1st place gets 3 points, 2nd 2 points, 3rd 1 point.  Scenario with the most points  wins.

Could we use something like SurveyMonkey or MicroPoll?

Sometimes you have to bathe the cat

5. #5 / 63
    Standard Member Johnny Yuma
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

I like the idea of giving the map designers the option to publish their maps independent of the competition. So, I'm in agreement with Raptor's suggestion to use the scenarios setup only for the competition event (playing, voting, etc.) and then remain as a lasting archive of it.

The reality is that this competition represents a moment in time. And I would think the map designers view their creations as bigger than that (at least I do).

Also, I got a map in on time. Thanks, Yertle for giving me the nudge.

6. #6 / 63
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Johnny Yuma wrote:

Also, I got a map in on time. Thanks, Yertle for giving me the nudge.

Once again, your map making skills are astounding!  The tower abilities display is brilliant! 

Why did you have to push him Yertle, there is money on the line here?  :)

7. #7 / 63
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Raptor wrote:

1. Ok this might be a strange idea: one map with scenarios for the voting (just so they are all in one place and easy to find).  Then after the winner is crowned take down the voting map  and each designer can choose to publish their map on its own.  Wargear would provide 1st, 2nd  and 3rd place ribbon graphics for each designer to incorporate into the board image.

2. I prefer - Top 3 : Rank the top three scenarios.  1st place gets 3 points, 2nd 2 points, 3rd 1 point.  Scenario with the most points  wins.

Could we use something like SurveyMonkey or MicroPoll?

I am in agreement with any decision made in regards to #1, but I like this proposal the best.

#2 - I vote for the top three, 1st place gets 3 points, 2nd 2 points, 3rd 1 point.  Scenario with the most points wins.  This seems to be the most intuitive and easiest for users.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

8. #8 / 63
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I actually would be ok with Raptor's suggestion as well, though I would prefer to have the mapmaking contest category or subheading of course.

9. #9 / 63
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

How about if we just have a tag for 'cartography competition' or something like that.  That would work about as well as a separate category/subheading, but much easier for Tom to implement.

10. #10 / 63
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ok so it looks like these are the candidates:

• Ozyman
    • Yertle
    • Viper
    • Raptor
    • Alpha
    • Yuma

It seems like there should be more, anyone know of someone who might have missed this post?  Wasn't there a SG map that I don't think is represented by the above 6?

It sounds like the consensus is:

• Create separate maps instead of scenarios on one map, except create a single map with multiple scenarios for the voting.
    • Vote for top 3 and assign 3,2,1 points.

The problems I see with having a single map with multiple scenarios now & then split it later is that setting it up is much more hassle (i.e. we have to all send Yertle our XML and up to 3 images, then he has to create all the scenarios, upload files, etc.   Then when it is over, we have to retire that map.)   Is that really worth the added convenience of having them all in one board for the competition?   I suggest we just make them all separate maps right at the beginning.

Also, my map has passed review (although I need to put a description in still, since I was holding off until I saw how we were going to structure them wrt. scenarios vs. separate maps).   Can someone on the review board give me some idea how far along we are on passing the rest of these maps?

11. #11 / 63
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Cumberdale has a Pangaea board in Review as well (although I'm not completely sure of the status if it is to go Live or if Cumber was going to change it).

If going with the separate boards, then I agree we wouldn't want a board go Live that is later Retired (unless one of the contestants takes over that board with a new version) due to potential Ranking issues.

Review Games:

Ozy - Completed, Ready to be Passed

Yertle - Near Complete(?) Fogged, but pretty much good to go I believe.

Viper - Near Complete(?) Fogged, but pretty much good to go I believe.

Raptor - Completed, Ready to be Passed

Alpha -Near Complete(?) Fogged and Alpha did say he has one more graphical update, so not to the Pass stage yet.

Yuma - ?Fogged No hold-ups in the game messages.

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

12. #12 / 63
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

what would be the purpose of putting them into one spot to play for voting if they're all going to be seperate maps anyway? if they're all open for beta we can start games on them to play. if you want a public game that can still happen if it's in beta.

i don't think i've been in any maps that are going to be held up from 'passing' if the designers so wish them to be. i've played all except the SG and Yumas.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

13. #13 / 63
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

My map is  complete as far as I'm concerned unless any of the reviewers have any things that need changed.

14. #14 / 63
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

I have a little graphic tweak I'd like to add to mine. Other than that, I suppose it's done.

15. #15 / 63
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Johnny Yuma wrote:

I have a little graphic tweak I'd like to add to mine. Other than that, I suppose it's done.

Okay, finished.

16. #16 / 63
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Okay - I'm done with my description, so I'm done too.

I was thinking maybe we should put an intro paragraph about the competition into the beginning of our descriptions (just until the voting is over).  The first paragraph of my description is:

Pangaea and Panthalassa is a entry in the current map making competition (Theme: Pangaea) which is now in the voting phase.  Anyone can vote for the best map in the competition, the only requirement is that you play at least one game on each map.  Check this forum thread for details and to see a list of all the boards in the competition:
    http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1523/Map_Making_Competition_-_Pangaea_-_$$$_Prize_Deadline_June_10th

What do you think of something like that?

Right now that link is to the primary contest thread, but I figured we should actually make a new thread where we review the contest and everyone votes (probably in the general forum).

17. #17 / 63
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I wanted to put a link to all our maps in the new thread where people vote, etc.  Will current links to boards still be valid after they are promoted?  For example, will this link still work?:

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/2232

Also, how about this text for the new thread:

subject: Everyone is invited to vote on the maps in the first ever WarGear map making competition.

Over the last few months several wargear mapmakers have been creating new maps all with a single theme.  A friendly contest got a bit more serious when Tom put up $100 for the winners.  Everyone is invited to vote on these maps to help decide the winner.  The only requirement is that you must play at least one game on every map in the contest before voting.   Voting will be open until Midnight GMT August 1st.  To vote just post in this thread with your ranked preference for the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd best map.

The Contestants:
    * Pangaea XXX
    * etc.

More details and discussion about the contest can be found at this thread:
    http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1523p1/Map_Making_Competition_-_Pangaea_-_$$$_Prize_Deadline_June_10th

18. #18 / 63
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

That looks great! 

My board is ready to post!

19. #19 / 63
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

My board will be finish tonight for better or worse.  I will add the text to my board's description when the text is ready (looks and sounds good), but I think more that a month should be allowed to play (2 months should be good).  If I am alone in this thinking, then one month is fine since I have played most of the boards already.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

20. #20 / 63
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

As a potential voter, I also think 1 month is too optimistic.

Edited Mon 27th Jun 21:25 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)