221 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1234   (4 in total)
  1. #21 / 63
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ok so change the date to September 1st.  Should we require these to be public games so that we can check a voter if we want, or is this basically on the honor system?

I guess if I don't hear any other suggestions for change, I'll go ahead and post a placeholder thread tomorrow so that we can put a link to that thread in our board descriptions.  Then after the boards go live, Yertle can edit my post with links to the boards.

Edited Mon 27th Jun 23:26 [history]

2. #22 / 63
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think the honor system is fine, an admin can always look if it becomes really important, but I do not see an incentive to vote if you are unfamiliar with what you are voting on nor do I see dishonest voting (intentional or otherwise) being the majority of voters so we should be okay.

The rest sounds good to me.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

3. #23 / 63
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Sounds good to me.

Sometimes you have to bathe the cat

4. #24 / 63
    Deceit by Design Wallace Wishmaster
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Where do we announce that we've played all of the boards?

5. #25 / 63
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

In the thread that I am going to create in the general forum, you'll affirm that you played all the boards and vote. 

I'm pretty much ready to create that thread, but I'd like to do it when the boards are pretty much ready to go.  I guess someone on the map making council let me know when we are a day or two from wrapping up and I'll post the introduction to the general public/voting thread.  Then we all edit our descriptions to have a link to that thread in the map description.  Then the review council passes all the maps.  Then yertle edits my post in the voting thread to link to all the maps.

At that point I guess we should all create a couple of games on our maps to get things started.

Edited Tue 28th Jun 23:27 [history]

6. #26 / 63
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I am not sure there is a need to hold up releasing the maps as the description can be changed afterwards and there isn't a problem with people playing one board or another before they all go live.  Once they are live, then the thread can be created and the description can be changed.

7. #27 / 63
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Oh.  I forgot you could change descriptions after a board is released.  I guess that makes sense then for the boards to just get released as they are finished.  Maybe each designer should post a link to their map in this thread after it goes live so that I don't have to hunt them down?

8. #28 / 63
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle would still have to add the links to the tournament entries in the forum.

9. #29 / 63
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Tournament?  You mean the map making contest entries?  Just making sure we are talking about the same thing, as I don't think I've heard tournament's mentioned yet.

If I wait to make the post until all the boards have passed review, I could just link to them right in my post, right?  Am I missing something?

10. #30 / 63
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

yes, the list of boards, I don't know what I was thinking, but it was late.  or you could always wait until all are released.

11. #31 / 63
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ummm, it looks like mine was passed.  Are we good with passing more that are ready? (Seems like a good idea to me!)

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

12. #32 / 63
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

How about if we just have a tag for 'cartography competition' or something like that.  That would work about as well as a separate category/subheading, but much easier for Tom to implement.

We could highjack the Abstract tag for the Competition, there are only a couple of boards that are Abstract, and I think they are all currently Novelty too.  And people would be like "Abstract" that's not Abstract, but how we use the tag is kind of Abstract so I think it would count :). 

(For the record I still don't know a good definition of Abstract/Novelty for tags, so I just throw them on some boards here and there :P.)

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

13. #33 / 63
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

And people would be like "Abstract" that's not Abstract, but how we use the tag is kind of Abstract so I think it would count :).

Not sure if serious.  {#emotions_dlg.suspicious}

Sounds a bit confusing to me.  Is it hard for Tom to add another tag?  Maybe it's not worth it at this point, but if we do a few contests it might be nice to have them all under one tag.  Is 'CartographyCompetition' too long?  Maybe 'CartogContest' instead.

I think this board is a good example of what I think of as 'abstract', although I'm not sure if there are any other at this point:

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/2428/Board

-paul

14. #34 / 63
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

Ummm, it looks like mine was passed.  Are we good with passing more that are ready? (Seems like a good idea to me!)

Yeah - I think lets get them all passed and then I'll post a thread in the general discussion to get everyone involved and have a place for people to vote.  I guess I'll message the people in my game to get my board passed.

15. #35 / 63
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Mine should pass soon.  I think I am finished with the graphics and such and that everyone has voiced their opinion.  Anyone interested can view the review game (its fogged so don't expect much); http://www.wargear.net/games/view/69995.

16. #36 / 63
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ok here is what I've found so far:

I think we just need Alpha & Yuma now.  So once those get done, someone post here to let me know and then I'll post the invitation/voting thread.

I don't necessarily want to complicate the voting, but here are some other categories I thought of:

• Map designers choice (either just the map makers who created a Pangaea map get to vote in this category, or anyone who has published a map of any kind can vote)
    • Best graphical design
    • Best playability
    • Most original

Even if we don't include those this time, if we have this contest again it might be fun to have some other minor awards other than just 'best overall'.

17. #37 / 63
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Oh boy; here comes the debate about voting.  I propose three options.

1. Everyone gets one vote.  Highest score wins.  Ties result in a run-off.
    2. Every votes for First, Second, and Third.  First = 5 points, Second = 3, Third = 1.   High score wins.  Ties result in a run-off.
    3. Tom decides the voting rules.

I have two questions.  Do voters have to play all maps ..even Simulgear? ..and does playing in a Review game count?

Wouldn't it be nice if you could "really "play WG boards in real-time?
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

18. #38 / 63
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Voters have to play every map (yes, even simulgear - although I don't know what happened to that simulgear map, so that is not currently an issue ).  I guess a review game could count, but I think the people who would play in those are active enough they will probably play in another game also.  I plan on trying to play at least 2 games on each map to get a good idea how they play.

If you read through this thread, Alpha, Raptor & Yertle all liked this suggestion:

Rank the top three scenarios.  1st place gets 3 points, 2nd 2 points, 3rd 1 point.  Scenario with the most points wins.

That's the one I like also, so that's 4 votes for that system.  Since only 6 people finished maps, I think that is the consensus (I'm assuming only the mapmakers with candidates in the contest get a vote on how the voting is done, which seems fair to me).

Edited Sat 2nd Jul 20:14 [history]

19. #39 / 63
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Voters have to play every map (yes, even simulgear - although I don't know what happened to that simulgear map, so that is not currently an issue ).  I guess a review game could count, but I think the people who would play in those are active enough they will probably play in another game also.  I plan on trying to play at least 2 games on each map to get a good idea how they play.

If you read through this thread, Alpha, Raptor & Yertle all liked this suggestion:

Rank the top three scenarios.  1st place gets 3 points, 2nd 2 points, 3rd 1 point.  Scenario with the most points wins.

That's the one I like also, so that's 4 votes for that system.  Since only 6 people finished maps, I think that is the consensus (I'm assuming only the mapmakers with candidates in the contest get a vote on how the voting is done, which seems fair to me).

I didn't see that.  I would prefer 5 - 3 - 1 weighting because I would prefer my #1 ranking to have more weight, but I'll deal with it.  -Thanks O.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could "really "play WG boards in real-time?
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

20. #40 / 63
    Standard Member Lord Of Cups
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

So... just waiting on Alpha & Yuma's? I'll keep an eye out for them - are they being approved soon?

I saw Alpha's is called "Pangea: Rise of The Chimp." What is Yuma calling his?

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)