1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 37
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I've put together a Google Docs spreadsheet which holds all the Feature requests that I have to date. I tried various online bug / feature tracking systems but they were a bit overcomplicated for my needs.

As you can see there are quite a few requests. Right now I have not prioritized them, however I have put a time estimate in for each one in terms of the number of days effort required.

I'm keen to seek your feedback on what should be tackled next. Ideally I would like to prioritize them all so I have a clear view on what the WG community think should be coming up in the development pipeline:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Amde-LBDUI7QdERHeVZ2a0s3QjRHS3NXSGNhMTc3aUE&hl=en&authkey=CLjgyYcH

2. #2 / 37
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Rather than go through and vote on each item, I've aim my feedback towards the general categories you've made. I was looking at the Charts for overall players and boards played All Time.  From that I've seen some things:

1) Since Nov. 20, 2010 the overall # of players on the site has been accelerating steadily and consistently.  Seems that there is now critical mass with this site. Conclusion: I think any and all feature requests aimed at attracting new players would be lower priority.  Most people are happy with the "playing experience." (e.g. website features)

2) Most new games both All Time and within the past year have been played on Wargear Warfare and other classic RISK style boards.  Conclusion: I would prioritize features that allow variations in gameplay/proliferation of this style board. (e.g. designer/gameplay features)

3) I couldn't find data on how many new board designs have been released to see whether the rate has been increasing/decreasing, so if somebody has this info please chime in.  Conclusion: If new board design releases have slowed, this might indicate that there is a breakthrough needed in designer/engine features in order to allow for the next wave of board releases.

Hope this helps,

ATH

3. #3 / 37
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:

3) I couldn't find data on how many new board designs have been released to see whether the rate has been increasing/decreasing, so if somebody has this info please chime in.  

I can't get to all 100+ boards without some difficulty (tom how about Page numbers for Live Review game list! :))  here's what I found though:

• Nov- 6
      • Dec- 20
      • Jan- 15+
      • Feb- ?
      • Mar- ?
      • Apr- ?
      • May
      • Jun- 4+
      • Jul- 5
      • Aug-14
      • Sep- 1
      • Oct- 3
      • Nov- 7
      • Dec- 9
      • Jan- 3
      • Feb- 4
      • In Review- 4

I really don't think the Board Designer has been exhausted or fully used.  We played on WF for years and were still finding clever ways of utilizing that system.  WG already has many more features to play with...

That said, I'm definitely not against new Board Designer features, just wanted to throw out the info I see.

Attracting New Players and not overwhelming them is a big thing I think.  Along with giving some quick feasible goals (ie a new player isn't going to jump in and say I'm gonna break 200 CPs in a month).

RISK style boards are basic, I'm a bit unsure of what designer/gameplay features could be added that make it more basic.

tom what's the best way to prioritize, vote, give feedback?

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

4. #4 / 37
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I suppose if everyone gave a top 5 in terms of what they want done first that would give me a good idea.

Personally the things I would like to tackle next are:

1. Realtime game notification system
    2. Board list display update
    3. Spawning / Barren / Factory territories (if only to stop M57 going on about it Wink)

5. #5 / 37
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

I suppose if everyone gave a top 5 in terms of what they want done first that would give me a good idea.

Personally the things I would like to tackle next are:

1. Realtime game notification system
    2. Board list display update
    3. Spawning / Barren / Factory territories (if only to stop M57 going on about it Wink)

..and again the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

6. #6 / 37
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Add the no numbers territories with view only borders type to that please.

I would change the order a bit though.

1. Achievements system

2. Board Designer features including number 3 above.

that's it!

7. #7 / 37
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

My list:

9    Website    0.5    Add top ranked player to Board Info page        Active

17    Website    0.5    Scenario Name/Link is needed for Tournaments        Active

7    Website    2    Add Team luck calculation and charts to luck stats page        Active

4    Website    10    Notification system for realtime games        Active

54    Website    10    Chat system        Active

Reasoning:  Couple of quick ones that give some recognition to players and needed information for Tournaments.  Team luck seems cool and again, pretty quick (slip SG luck in there for added bonus! :)).  Notification system, not something that I'd probably use (since I don't play too many Lightning game), but could help with Lightning games and that crowd could utilize.  Chat system was nice IMO, there's been questions brought up after it went away so it was utilized and just a good thing for the site IMO.

Followed by:

40    Website    3    Add common opponents (or Opponents Stats) page on Profiles - Would it be possible to have a Common Opponents (or Opponents Stats) page on Profiles?  It could perhaps go on the Player Stats page, but that page could become overwhelming too.  This page would have a table of the 25ish (unless it wasn't ...        Active

35    Website    4    Add buttons to ranking charts to allow display of any player's ranking history - Add buttons to ranking charts - That would be super cool if you could get to anyone's 'My Ranking History', ie so I could see that page for Norseman's or asm's wins/losses and thus get easily to their game list too.        Active

2    Website    30    Update board list view - Map Maker defined genres (World Map, Hordes Map, Movie Theme Map)        Active

Reasoning: Not too much work for some cool things.  Board list is a part of cleaning up the site and should be fixed up in the near future, it can be overwhelming for new players is my guess.

Follow Followed By:

3    Website    30    Achievement system        Active

Reasoning:  I look forward to this!

Seem to be missing some Scenario enhancements, Board Description/Info, links, Board Page, etc. that would be nice to haves and depending on the work may move up higher on my vote lists.

Need help with the Bug tab?  Let me know/be able to modify and I'll add to that.

Out of date ones?:

This one is completed with the My Ranking History:

56    Website    5    Display of games played on a certain board - I'd like to be able to get to a list of games that I've played for a particular board, even if only a Public Ranked games list.  This could either be a filter on the Board>>Games List tab or via the Profile>>Board Rankings list or both.  I wouldn't ...        Active

I propose people use Gyazo for this:

68    Website    5    Forums - add image upload facility        Active

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

Edited Fri 25th Feb 12:03 [history]

8. #8 / 37
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Another to add to my list..

Customizable time limit on Lightning games.  maybe be able to set it anywhere from 10 minutes to 4+ hours.

9. #9 / 37
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Tom's top three are fine.  Add below that 

76 - Team Continental bonuses - though I have no clue how they would be allocated.

Win conditions 87-89

39 - Territory Randomizer by designer

Missing:    (things that only I want)

Global points 50 Day Moving Average - oops I see it, #13

Modifiable turn times - especially for lightning games. I think 2 minute turn times would be fun.

"LiveGear" with M-Engine or similar for true lightning play.

BAO alternative:

10. #10 / 37
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I added the extra suggestions above.

11. #11 / 37
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Very nice to have a list in one place of the potential new features. 

I'd most like to see all the 'scenario' fixes made.  (i.e. seeing what scenario a tournament is.  Scenario tabs on all the board viewer pages, selecting a scenario when you promote a board, anything else I'm forgetting)

Also I think the new board list/display/search should be done soon.  There are a ton of boards now, and I think this will help new players from being overwhelmed.

Edited Fri 25th Feb 21:14 [history]

12. #12 / 37
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I scanned the list and will read more carefully later (looks like tom will be booked for awhile).

I have no real opinion on what to do next, but I do think:
      player availability is important (meaning playing wargear on any devise); get the addicts to take wargear with them to the bar and movie.  In general, grow and retain as many as possible.
      Also all of the optimization that tom has been doing to make the site run faster.
      Bugs are also always good to fix and I am pretty sure this is what you tackle first anyway.
      New designer tools are low on my priority since there is still much left unexplored.

Tom, your suggestions are good and more than anything I would like to see you work on the things you want to work on (this will get more done in the long run).

Features I didn't see but have been mentioned (sorry if I missed these).
      More Fog options (kjeld long ago)  Something about two-dimensional color and count ...
      ... I had a couple others and will return with them later.

New feature:
      borders type (fog games): attack without view, artillery without view (no sure how this currently works, I think it has view)

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

13. #13 / 37
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Fixed length game: Something like 30-120 minutes per player.
    Scenario name/Board Name:  I think Yertle proposed several scenario changes, one is that the scenario name appear as Boardname:Scenarioname in game lists.
    saw mention of king style play, but not roving leader:
      I remember it mentioned once, have a moving capital associated to a leader that can move from territory to territory.
    Nymga feature: allocate blocks for random placement in designer, i.e. each player gets 1 of these ten, 2 of these 30, 0 of these 5...

14. #14 / 37
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozy's post reminded me..  If the boards are going to be categorized by type, do we have consensus regarding how they might be delineated?  It occurs to me that different scenario options may make this a bit complex.

Related:

Search by rating

More rating categories (this is not a high priority, but it has been discussed).

BAO alternative:

15. #15 / 37
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:

Fixed length game: Something like 30-120 minutes per player.

One thing to mention.  In chess the time limit is for the... well, let me just quote wikipedia:

90 minutes for the first 40 moves followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game with an addition of 30 seconds per move starting from move one.

So if we have a fixed length game it should probably be for the first N moves, and then something else kicks in after that.

Here is the link where I got that.  Lots of good ideas on this page.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_control

Edited Sat 26th Feb 15:10 [history]

16. #16 / 37
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:

Features I didn't see but have been mentioned (sorry if I missed these).
      More Fog options (kjeld long ago)  Something about two-dimensional color and count ...

I'd been thinking of all the various fog possibilities, but hadn't posted anything because I felt like I was missing something, but here is as good a place as any to discuss it.

Here is what I have come up with.  I don't know if this makes it more work or not, but I figure if fog is getting an overhaul, might as well make it complete:

These should all be able to be set (mostly) independently

neighbors - 'unit counts', 'ownership', both, neither
    entire world - 'unit counts', 'ownership', both, neither
    cards - no info, card counts, card identity
    reserves - fog or no.

I guess various options for team mates to be able to see what you can see.

anything I'm missing?

17. #17 / 37
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

anything I'm missing?

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/293

18. #18 / 37
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:
    Ozyman wrote:

anything I'm missing?

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/293

Thanks, I didn't want to go looking for that one.

19. #19 / 37
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Now including Bug tracking!

20. #20 / 37
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Territory minimums is top on my list.

After that I'm up for anything.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)