1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 35
    Standard Member GnuFlip
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Pretty much every weekend now, I'm getting a skipped turn in at least one game (and I only have a few active). It's often because I take my turn some time on friday, the turns go around and it gets back to me at like 1am on Saturday.  I try to stay away from my computer on the weekends since I'm here all week so when I get back on Monday morning, I find that my turn was skipped a few hours ago.

I understand that this is arguably user error, but it'd be nice if we were given an extra day if the turn timer is set to 2 days and your turn overlaps the weekend.  Or maybe if most of your turn time was over the weekend.

2. #2 / 35
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

There was a discussion on this a while ago. I thought that Tom made it so that Sundays do not count, but maybe that was just part of the discussion and nothing actually happened. At any rate, you may want to try to spend 15 minutes on a Sunday just to check to see if you are at risk of being skipped in any games, and take a couple turns as necessary. I know you should be able to play on your time, but it's up to you to determine how you want to handle it.

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

3. #3 / 35
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Vataro wrote: There was a discussion on this a while ago. I thought that Tom made it so that Sundays do not count, but maybe that was just part of the discussion and nothing actually happened.

Yep, nothing was implemented yet (at least I'm very certain that nothing has been :P)

4. #4 / 35
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I favored the idea of switching to a 3-day boot time over the Sundays thing.

IF YOU ARE SUGGESTING ASM IS A GOOD PLAYER YOU WILL STOP NOW, OR I WILL CALL HR AND I WILL PUT AN END TO IT, FOR THAT IS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME.

5. #5 / 35
    Standard Member GnuFlip
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

I think the 2-day boot is fine, as 3-day boot would create an extra 2-day wait for those players that decide to quit a game by not taking their turn anymore. It's rare, but worth considering.
    If Sundays didn't count in a two-day boot, then that would solve the problem. Seems a little un-intuitive, but probably no less than a simple extra day for the weekend. I'm in favor of either solution. Until then, I'll have to remember to check my turns on the weekend.

6. #6 / 35
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yep it was one of those discussions that never quite got to an agreement on how to proceed. The problem with Sundays is... how do you define Sunday? Is it Sunday in your timezone or Sunday in anyone's timezone (which is actually a 48 hour period).

If it's just Sunday in your timezone then if you have a boot pending you'll get booted at 12am Monday morning - that's probably not ideal either.

It's a tricky one :)

7. #7 / 35
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I'd say a 36 hour period in a timezone in the US - 12am Sunday to 12p Monday CST, for example. This way, it safely ignores Sunday and gives people time Monday morning to catch up. Furthermore, people playing in Europe should also be safe using this window, since I believe they are about 6 hours ahead of CST (at least I believe the UK is, which I feel is where the majority of European people playing on this English-speaking site would be located; I could be completely wrong however, and don't mean to exclude people in other locales). This would mean to them the window would be 6 am Sunday to 6 pm Monday. As long as they took their turns on Friday and again on Monday (which is expected using this system anyway), they would be safe. It may need adjusting but I think the 36 hour window would be ideal for this situation.

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

8. #8 / 35
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yes that's certainly doable - would exclude Lightning games of course. Anyone see any major problems with this? Australia / New Zealand are probably the group who aren't that well catered for with this arrangement.

9. #9 / 35
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Why not based upon the player's timezone?

10. #10 / 35
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Wouldn't basing it on the player's timezone be more difficult? Perhaps I am mistaken.

Australia would be the biggest problem; being 15 hours ahead of CST this schedule would put their "safe time" starting at 3 pm Sunday and going to 3 am Tuesday Morning... certainly possible as long as they finish up all turns by 3 pm on Friday, which seems doable to me. They would just have to set a vacation status to go on a long weekend, which may not be ideal but would certainly work.

This is of course assuming that individual time zones cannot be done. If they can, then that is obviously the preferable option, and I would recommend setting the "safe time" to be until 12p on Monday for all players, and start either at 12a or 12p Sunday.

11. #11 / 35
    Standard Member Seige07
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Vataro wrote:  They would just have to set a vacation status to go on a long weekend, which may not be ideal but would certainly work.

Isn't this what the vacation status is for? If you know you are not going to be able to check your games for 48 hours then you need to be smart and use the vacation feature.

12. #12 / 35
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

STOP! don't ask people to be smart! what are you thinking?

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

13. #13 / 35
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote: Why not based upon the player's timezone?

The only problem I see with that is that it then becomes tricky for players in a game to work out when a player is going to be booted - you have to work out what timezone they are in relative to you.

14. #14 / 35
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Eh, either way seems to have potential trickiness to it. Anyhow, I'll just change my timezone when I need extra time ;) Don't forget to update it for DST events and to account for places that do/don't observe DST changes...or the best is when they observe them but then change them the week prior to the event due to an earthquake which then throws off all medication administration times... :P

15. #15 / 35
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Hehe, that's why I think it should just be set to a specific Time Zone :P.

16. #16 / 35
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Vataro wrote: Hehe, that's why I think it should just be set to a specific Time Zone :P.

Vataro wrote:

This is of course assuming that individual time zones cannot be done. If they can, then that is obviously the preferable option...

Wink

17. #17 / 35
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Take the easy fix and make it a 3 day standard boot, it really isn't that much longer than the two day boot we currently have.

18. #18 / 35
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    Vataro wrote: Hehe, that's why I think it should just be set to a specific Time Zone :P.

Vataro wrote:

This is of course assuming that individual time zones cannot be done. If they can, then that is obviously the preferable option...

Wink

Hey, blame yourself for making an argument against yourself. Or something. :P

19. #19 / 35
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm with Alpha.

IF YOU ARE SUGGESTING ASM IS A GOOD PLAYER YOU WILL STOP NOW, OR I WILL CALL HR AND I WILL PUT AN END TO IT, FOR THAT IS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME.

20. #20 / 35
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote: Anyhow, I'll just change my timezone when I need extra time ;) Don't forget to update it for DST events...

Great point Smile

I'm a little reluctant to go back to 3 day boot times after all the discussion about how this was too slow we had before.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)