222 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   «««121314151617181920   (20 in total)
  1. #301 / 391
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Under the Bonus section at the bottom.

2. #302 / 391
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

OK, I just made a test continent and set a non-continental territory as a factory associated with its bonus.  I could set the bonus to any amount, but amounts only  ..at the bottom of the bonus pull-down, I couldn't find an "auto-assign" option.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could "really "play WG boards in real-time?
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

3. #303 / 391
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

What if I want to create the South American continent on a standard map (using Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, and Peru), which has a bonus of 2 (as usual), but the recipient of the bonus can place them only on those territories?  I'm guessing this isn't possible with the current system.

4. #304 / 391
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

What if I want to create the South American continent on a standard map (using Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, and Peru), which has a bonus of 2 (as usual), but the recipient of the bonus can place them only on those territories?  I'm guessing this isn't possible with the current system.

Nope, not currently

OK, I just made a test continent and set a non-continental territory as a factory associated with its bonus.  I could set the bonus to any amount, but amounts only  ..at the bottom of the bonus pull-down, I couldn't find an "auto-assign" option.

If you have the factory set, then those units will be placed in the factory.  The auto-assign option is on the rule -> Bonus/limits/dice at the bottom (it is a board-wide option). 

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

5. #305 / 391
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    tom wrote:

Yes the owner and units all convert to the player who owns the continent - even if the territory is occupied by an opposing player.

What if it's a Capital City or the opposing player's last territory?  Everything occur as if the new owner eliminated the other player?

This was my workaround for the end-game territory goal.  Have the target territory be a bonus producing one which produces a units in all of the capitals on the board with auto-assign.  This will eliminate everyone at the beginning of your turn. 
    If the territory starts with no units and has 100% defense then everything works (no one can take it away).
    If there are not capitals on the board, then give everyone a capital that is disconnected from the board.

6. #306 / 391
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

What if two different continents have the same territory as their factory?  Is that possible?  If so and if two different players own the continents, who gets the factory territory?

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

He has risen!

7. #307 / 391
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

What if two different continents have the same territory as their factory?  Is that possible?  If so and if two different players own the continents, who gets the factory territory?

I think you just broke it.  This somehow needs to be disallowed.  Either..

1. Factories should either belong to one continent only.
    2. Factories need to be owned by the same player that owns its continent.  Ownership should not be automatically transfered.

Personally, I prefer B, though that's not the way tom has it right now.

8. #308 / 391
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

It'll work under Regular play. At the start of each player's turn it will check ownership and reassign as necessary. Under SimulGear it will create problems as everyone starts their turn at the same time.

9. #309 / 391
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

One more scenario...

Continent A has Territory Factory Z, the Player takes ownership of Territory Factory Z, Territory Factory Z is also Continent B which has Territory Factory Y, will the Player also end up with Territory Factory Y at the beginning of his turn?  Can this be a long string at the start of a turn?

He has risen!

10. #310 / 391
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

It'll work under Regular play. At the start of each player's turn it will check ownership and reassign as necessary. 

Let me see if I understand this.

At the beginning of player A's turn, Player A holding T1, T2, and T3  receives ownership of, and a bonus army on Factory F1.

Then, at the beginning of player B's turn, because Player B holds T7, T8, and T9 (a different continent but with the same assigned Factory, F1), ownership now changes to player B and any armies A didn't use on F1 now become B's (+ a bonus army).

Edited Fri 10th Jun 18:01 [history]

11. #311 / 391
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

One more scenario...

Continent A has Territory Factory Z, the Player takes ownership of Territory Factory Z, Territory Factory Z is also Continent B which has Territory Factory Y, will the Player also end up with Territory Factory Y at the beginning of his turn?  Can this be a long string at the start of a turn?

If you really want to mess things up, consider what might happen if Factory Y is continent C, which takes ownership of Territory Factory Z.  Ownership will not be an issue, but there's a unit making loop that'll bring HAL to his knees.

12. #312 / 391
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

It'll work under Regular play. At the start of each player's turn it will check ownership and reassign as necessary. Under SimulGear it will create problems as everyone starts their turn at the same time.

SimulGear still has a turn order so the last to go would get the territory.  I see no problem with this.

My understanding here would be that the continent check happens then factories produce their units, so there would be no cascading effect.  The scenario you are talking about is exactly how Nymga wanted to use it (without cascade).

This understanding would remove M57 two points as well.

13. #313 / 391
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:
    tom wrote:

SimulGear still has a turn order so the last to go would get the territory.  I see no problem with this.

Bonus units (and hence factory bonuses) are calculated are before the turn starts for SimulGear play - so it will cause problems.

Alpha wrote:

My understanding here would be that the continent check happens then factories produce their units, so there would be no cascading effect.  The scenario you are talking about is exactly how Nymga wanted to use it (without cascade).

Actually this is the way it probably should be rewritten but actually it loops through each continent in turn, checking membership and assigning bonus units along the way. So it won't get into an infinite loop but it will be somewhat arbitrary who gets what (depends on the order in which the continents are retrieved from the database).

14. #314 / 391
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thanks for the clarification and corrections.

15. #315 / 391
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    Alpha wrote:

Actually this is the way it probably should be rewritten but actually it loops through each continent in turn, checking membership and assigning bonus units along the way. So it won't get into an infinite loop but it will be somewhat arbitrary who gets what (depends on the order in which the continents are retrieved from the database).

So it's possible that the Player would end up with Territory Factory Y, but may not depending on continent numbers?

He has risen!

16. #316 / 391
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yes. So it needs to be rewritten.

17. #317 / 391
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Sorry to hear that, sounds like a lot of work.

18. #318 / 391
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Actually shouldn't be too bad, I just need to break it into two separate loops, an ownership check and then a bonus assignment step.

19. #319 / 391
    Standard Member BTdubs
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Apologies if this has been suggested before and I didn't see it, but I'd love it if the comments on a game had a stamp with the turn # in addition to the time.  This is  useful for when I'm trying to figure out if my team messages are the strategy from this turn or from last turn and I just didn't see them till now, and is also entertaining when watching replays. 

We'd get to see who swore at what and when!

20. #320 / 391
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

In the upper right of the message box there is a page symbol with a blue circle on it.  Clicking on this will give you the board state and turnid at the time of the message.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   «««121314151617181920   (20 in total)