215 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 13
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I have some friends that I want to try Wargear (they are coming from TOS), and I'm trying to figure out a good map or two that showcases not only the graphical superiority but also the various special borders (artillery, view and transfer only, etc) without being too complicated. 4 player maps would be good (I'm thinking Gauntlet for the view only / special gameplay and StarGear for Artillery borders and such, but would like other suggestions), but also a 2 player map or two would be helpful as well as some variable player count maps.

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

2. #2 / 13
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Castles is probably a good map for this purpose. It's got lots of special features, but they're stitched together very nicely and intuitively so it's still quick for a newcomer to pick up.

Edited Thu 29th Apr 13:07 [history]

3. #3 / 13
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

+1 for Castles. I probably wouldn't suggest it for completely new online Risk players, but if they have the basics from WF or other places then shouldn't take too much explaining.

4. #4 / 13
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I don't know what TOS is so i don't know what background your friends have, but having been full-time teacher for 15 years I have a thing or two to say about this. (Alas not a teacher of Risk though.)

If they have never played on-line risk (or Risk at all) before then a straight-forward map would be where to start to get the idea down. (Battle USA is particularly friendly looking IMO.)

Then work in one change at a time - return to attack from fortify would be a nice step - Suggestion: Light Cycles

Then throw in return to attack from placement - suggestion: Another Brick in the Wall - which also has light fog.

No offense to Cramchackle, but I would stay away from Castles - capitals are too finicky for a new player.

5. #5 / 13
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Agree with Amidon... Start with basic functionality. Those familiar with the standard Risk game will be instantly at home, and those who are completely new to the game are less likely to be overwhelmed. I played a lot of Risk in my youth, and for my first few years of on-line play, I was pretty much a purist - very skeptical of the validity of complex mods..

I suppose you could make exceptions for hard-core gamers, but even there, gaining an appreciation for the standard mechanics of the game can't be a bad place to start.

6. #6 / 13
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Infection would be another good map in this lineup.

7. #7 / 13
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Not sure I agree. Infection features extensive phase switching, a very non-traditional card scale, outsized elimination bonus... AND Hordes! continents. That's a lot to absorb at once, and I think we underestimate the non-intuitive nature of Hordes! because we grew up with it. I'd go with Brick as a good beginner's introduction to Hordes! before trying to tackle Infection.

It's a trap!

8. #8 / 13
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Fair enough. Though I quibble with your contention that the elimination bonus on Infection is outsized -- on the old Hordes map, it used to be 20!

9. #9 / 13
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Quibbler.

It's a trap!

10. #10 / 13
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

No offense to Cramchackle, but I would stay away from Castles - capitals are too finicky for a new player.

I am offended!

... danger zone! ...

11. #11 / 13
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Thanks Kjeld and Yertle, I've been playing Castles and a few others with them and I think they're getting the hang of it (although they are still a little shaky on how capitals work). For the rest of you: they have been on Warfish just as long as I have, and are already well acquainted with less-than-standard maps such as hordes and how online Risk works. I specifically wanted maps that showcase what this site has that Warfish doesn't. =)

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

12. #12 / 13
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Well let's see, leaving aside the obvious answers to that question and sticking mostly to gameplay, capitals is a good feature, better GUI, better graphics, and more border options. Mediterranean Mayhem uses artillery well, you could give that a shot.

It's a trap!

13. #13 / 13
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Mediterranean Mayhem hmm? May have to try that, I don't think I've played it either. Well, not here at least.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)