219 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 9
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

anyone else getting boned with a particular strategy on Duck Hunt. I won't mention it specifically as I don't know if there's any counter to it.

I guess that's what i'm asking for. Those of you that employ this particular strategy, has anyone countered it? or have you countered it yourself when playing someone else that employs this strategy?

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

2. #2 / 9
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I looked at the first few pages of finished games, and it appears that the first player wins about 70% of the time. I'm still figuring the board out, but my initial impression of the board's strategy is:

1. Go first.

2. Deny the opponent the opportunity to place troops by capturing their dog and gun.

Edited Tue 6th Apr 16:39 [history]

3. #3 / 9
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Haven't played enough games to know, but from talking to others, Norseman, again, summarizes the consensus.

4. #4 / 9
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

To answer the original question, I have never won after first player successfully took the dog, but I have come close, and I also haven't played many games.

If first player took this tactic, you at least have a good bonus, so firing away seems somewhat reasonable. Unfortunately, you have to defend your gun - I haven't had this work very well at all.

I recommend trying to retake the dog. I've done this in two games. In one game I did it quick enough to start firing at the weakened ducks of the first player. This created a close game that I lost. In another game, I was able to keep the dog after retaking, but I was weakened and first player had enough income to just fire away for a convincing victory.

Interesting factoid (I have a written up PDF file with details - anyone know of a place I could publicly post such files?): Each continuous attack from a duck with 3 on it expects to kill about 1.7 defending armies! So, about 6 attacks should kill the 10 armies, and those who defend the dog with 16 after turn 1 are not necessarily safe.

5. #5 / 9
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I have comeback after losing my Dog in the first game. The key to this map is denying your enemy more than supplying yourself. 2 player games without a simultaneous play option are usually gonna favor going first. I did a lot of testing and the set up here worked the best.
    I can't really relate with the math or strategy for this map because if I attack with 5 full ducks against a dog with 10 units I will always end up with 5 ducks full of 1's and a dog with 6 units left in it.

The Status is NOT quo

6. #6 / 9
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

So, I'm in a game where I have all the ducks. My opponent could of course take some back, but currently has 40 something units in his dog. How am I supposed to finish this game if he just supplies the dog the entire time?

linky: http://www.wargear.net/games/player/25602

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
    Edited Fri 6th Aug 00:15 [history]

7. #7 / 9
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

You should be killing ~17 armies per turn using all 10 attacks from the ducks onto the dog. Your opponent is only getting +3, so it should be done in a few turns.

8. #8 / 9
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I actually beat Weathertop after he took my dog in the first round.
    http://www.wargear.net/games/player/18785
    I usually try to take my opponent's dog instead of regaining mine.
    I doesn't always work but it can rebalance the game.

In the end, all things are squishy.

9. #9 / 9
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote: You should be killing ~17 armies per turn using all 10 attacks from the ducks onto the dog. Your opponent is only getting +3, so it should be done in a few turns.

But you underestimate how bad my luck is! My last turn I lost close to 10 units in my first 5 attacks. Managed to kill about 5-7 units total iirc. You're right though I guess, I should be slowly whittling him down.

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)