2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 36
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Magpie wrote:
    tom wrote: What about incentives to rate boards - I'm thinking maybe a couple of days free premium per rating written? Anyone got any better ideas

I see that this has been shot down, but I would encourage you to keep thinking of ways to incorporate free premium into something.  Don't give up!  I'm thinking about the general health of the community!...err... something like that   :p

Free month of premium for getting a map released to Live.

Free premium for as long as you're ranked in the top 10.

Free premium for significant marketing efforts outside Wargear?

Do like: Free premium for community involvement and site-wide accomplisments.

Do not like: Free premium as a prize for winning games and tournaments or other individual accomplishments.

Happy Birthday to the ground!!!

2. #22 / 36
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Don't like. Favors certain prolific people over others, and (more importantly) would politicize the Review process.

Don't like. Favors established players and reinforces the perception among newcomers that it's hard to break in. Also what you said.

Do like. No harm in some subjectivity on this score. If somebody does something Tom thinks is awesome, they get a month! Cool.

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

3. #23 / 36
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

for ratings i was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea if you had a rating for the aesthetics and a separate one of the playability, but when you submit the ratings both are automatically averaged to give you a total rating. (if that makes sense)

also I'm thinking that you should have to play 2 or 3 games before you rate a board, this will make people give a board a second chance in case the just didn't get it or didn't read the info, or  they can submit a rating like "stupid board i didn't get it... 1 star" with only 1 game played on it.

4. #24 / 36
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

So when a new version of a board is released (ref: Toaster's WarGear Warfare recent thumbnail update), the ratings for the old version are lost? I definitely left it a 6-star review - one star more than Global Warfar =P - but now it has no reviews. Is this the way things should work, or is this a bug?

5. #25 / 36
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm on the side that likes the idea of a premium for the winner of a tournament.

6. #26 / 36
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Ah yes thanks Kjeld I'll fix that.

7. #27 / 36
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Not a big deal, but you can't leave a Rating for your own board I take it (which I'm fine with), but the reason says "You can review this board once you have completed a Public game".

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

Seek Yours Today. Get Uncomfortable.

8. #28 / 36
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The Rating counter in the bottom right of each person's rating says #1 of 1, instead of actually incrementing the numbers. Ie http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Gear%20Wars:%20Episode%20I/Ratings

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

9. #29 / 36
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Is anybody using this much?

Happy Birthday to the ground!!!

10. #30 / 36
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i haven't yet... but at the very least when you win a game, in the same window that tells you you won it should have a button that allows you to leave a review for the board. that way at least the winner of every game gets prompted to review the board.

it could read:
    You have just won the game {#emotions_dlg.clap}. There were X amount of players and it took you X number of days/minuets to Finnish. you were Above/below the average time for the same numbers of players on this board by X amount. would you like to review this game board YES / NO

11. #31 / 36
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'd include a link to rate the board on the "you've been eliminated" emails, too.

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

12. #32 / 36
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yep good ideas will add.

13. #33 / 36
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote: Is anybody using this much?

I have to confess that I've thus far been terrible about rating boards.  In addition to reminders, maybe there should be some sort of small incentive for people who review boards.  Here are a couple possibilities:

1. Give a day of premium membership to a player each time they review a board.  Alternatively, hold a periodic drawing for X days of premium membership.  A person gets one "ticket" for the drawing for each map they've reviewed.
    2. If at some point the site has an achievement system, there could be achievements awarded for reviewing X boards.

Once each board gets a significant number of ratings (maybe 10+), the site could start to feature/rank boards based on their rating.  Directing new players to the site's most popular boards could help quite a bit with new player retention.

EDIT: I reread this thread, and perhaps an incentive to review wouldn't be good after all.  The problem is that right now, there are plenty of people who could give valid reviews and aren't for various reasons.

Edited Mon 8th Feb 18:21 [history]

14. #34 / 36
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Questions:

Should the reviewer be anonymous?

Should it be possible to give a board a star ranking, but not leave a textual review?

I ask because I thought the answer was no to both of these, but that doesn't seem to the case here. At the top it says, "Rating: 8.00 out of 10 based on 1 ratings", but at the bottom it says "No ratings have been submitted for this board". That seems contradictory to me.

Edited Fri 5th Mar 08:41 [history]

15. #35 / 36
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I agree, answer should be no. I think we've seen this a couple times with new versions of boards. Probably means tom has to fix something.

What's Your Passion?

16. #36 / 36
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

minuets to Finnish

I love how these two typos actually made other words {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Edited Fri 12th Mar 12:23 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)