1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 24
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

The new Home page is now officially Live!

The concept behind the redesign was to give you a single page with all the info you need to take your current turns - either game invites or games where it's your turn. It should automatically update without any need to refresh your page. There's a ticker below your turns which shows all activity in your games, also automatically updated.

You may notice the new Competition table on the right hand side - more about that here.

2. #2 / 24
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Nice!

Two things that I miss though...

• The Join Game section (which I think makes sense for the Single page concept)
    • That the Top Championship section appears to try and display around my ranking and therefore doesn't show numbers 1-8 (instead goes from 9-19 with me at 14).  I'd propose doing a similar concept as how the Tournaments page does it, which is to display 1-X (10) then a line with my position and ranking (if outside of that range), same for the Monthly competition.

I slightly question the removal of the total Global Ranking section, but understand that the Monthly one kind of replaces that...still Total/Lifelong versions are nice too.  I wouldn't think another Ranking section would be overkill, but I see that it probably is slightly cleaner without a third section.

You have been granted the title of Strategist!

3. #3 / 24
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I was playing a game with a player who is not active in the forums, and he mentioned that he missed the Join Game Section up top.  I'm mixed, but I think I like Game Events on top.

Personally I would like it if the home page was somewhat configurable by the user, For instance, your choice of Join Game or Events.  Default should probably be Games.  Even though it's a big 'ol easy to find tab up there, it's what a first time user really needs to see.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Sun 2nd Mar 05:52 [history]

4. #4 / 24
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Where do you think the Join page should go? Underneath (but above the ticker)?

5. #5 / 24
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Off the top of my head..

Your Turn

You've Been Invited

Open Games

Events

A first timer will see Empty fields for the first two - so they won't miss open games.

..or maybe put Games below events.  Is it difficult to make this configurable in settings with the default something like the above, or might this add too much clutter to the Settings section?

6. #6 / 24
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I don't miss the join game stuff on the home page - the ticker is much more important for me -

7. #7 / 24
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i don't have a problem that the open games has been removed from the home page, never made sense to have a 'home' page and a 'join' page.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #8 / 24
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I just suggesting that it's difficult for us to see the home page from the perspective of a noobie.

9. #9 / 24
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

i don't have a problem that the open games has been removed from the home page, never made sense to have a 'home' page and a 'join' page.

+1

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

10. #10 / 24
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

I was playing a game with a player who is not active in the forums, and he mentioned that he missed the Join Game Section up top.  I'm mixed, but I think I like Game Events on top.

Personally I would like it if the home page was somewhat configurable by the user, For instance, your choice of Join Game or Events.  Default should probably be Games.  Even though it's a big 'ol easy to find tab up there, it's what a first time user really needs to see.

I think a configurable option is the way to go based on everyone's feedback!

11. #11 / 24
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Perhaps a page in the settings menu that has checkboxes for features that are to be displayed on the homepage?

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

12. #12 / 24
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Will Global Ranking be returning? I found that the more interesting statistic (despite that a few losses or wins has you drift up and down fairly quickly, the names remained relatively constant).

13. #13 / 24
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Andernut wrote:

Will Global Ranking be returning? I found that the more interesting statistic (despite that a few losses or wins has you drift up and down fairly quickly, the names remained relatively constant).

Can't even imagine a monthly challenge, meaningless and volatile by nature, would replace the most interesting stat (before a new aggregate one will eventually be set ?).

14. #14 / 24
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Hardly "meaningless" if you're competing for the monthly challenge, Toto. And that's what it's designed to do, encourage participation, play, paying, etc.

15. #15 / 24
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I've added back the monthly stats. Next up - customisable home page!

16. #16 / 24
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Thanks as always Tom.

Thoughts - 

I don't want to have the whole "Game Join" list on my home page but it would be cool to see games on either boards I've favorited and/or games my friends have joined.

Also it would be cool to have a listing of "games with unread messages".  Of course we still have the persistant bug where it flags our own messages.

Bump from another thread -

Also - if you are messing around - would be cool to never see games (in the join game page) on boards we "hide" from the boards page.

17. #17 / 24
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

+1 to everything Amidon

18. #18 / 24
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

smoke wrote:

Hardly "meaningless" if you're competing for the monthly challenge, Toto. And that's what it's designed to do, encourage participation, play, paying, etc.

Meaningless is probably too strong indeed Smoke. I feel it doesn't mean much as points could come from games almost won the previous months but delayed to be cashed on the same month.

19. #19 / 24
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I've updated the Home to page to be customisable:

• I've added back the open games and tournament sections
    • You can 'close' sections you don't want by clicking on the red cross icon
    • You can drag sections around (click and drag on the section header)
    • If you need to restore a section to view, you can do this via the layout page (http://www.wargear.net/settings/layout)

Good suggestions thanks Amidon, I'll work on those.

20. #20 / 24
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Very impressive!  One minor thing that I just noticed was when moving the Ticker section up that it doesn't have a buffer space at the bottom, so it goes flush against the next section below it.

Great job!

You have been granted the title of Strategist!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)