229 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 23
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

We might be headed toward a tie this time (please go vote!), but if not this time it will probably happen eventually.  How do we want to break ties?

Some possibilities:

* Whichever board passed review first wins.

* Throw out the last vote(s) until the tie is broken.

* Tied players play a 1v1 game of Wargear Warfare or some other map or something to break the tie.

Any better ideas?

2. #2 / 23
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ask the board designers that tied to decide and if they can't,

I like play a 1 vs 1 game for it... {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} that sounds fun!

-Re-vote a tie breaker vote

-wait 1 month and give it to most games played on the board

-

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

3. #3 / 23
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

If tie for 1st - split 1st and 2nd place, then award a 3rd

If tie for 2nd - award a 1st and split 2nd and 3rd

If tie for 3rd - award a 1st and 2nd then split 3rd

-or-

most 1st place votes, and if still tied most 1st and 2nd

Note: I've taught voting theory in my math classes.  There is no "fair" way of breaking ties (actually there is no fair way of voting at all, but that's a long story).  So, you just have to pick a way and go with it.  It is best to have this figured out before the tie happens because you can always come up with a legitimate tie breaker that favors one, and then a different way that favors the other.

4. #4 / 23
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

We might be headed toward a tie this time (please go vote!), but if not this time it will probably happen eventually.  How do we want to break ties?

Some possibilities:

* Whichever board passed review first wins.

* Throw out the last vote(s) until the tie is broken.

* Tied players play a 1v1 game of Wargear Warfare or some other map or something to break the tie.

Any better ideas?

Here is a weird idea.  Whichever board had the most games played on it, loses.

If a board both has fewer people playing it and gets voted the same, then obviously per player it was more popular...

5. #5 / 23
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>If a board both has fewer people playing it and gets voted the same, then obviously per player it was more popular...

I think you'd have to assume that the people playing and the ones voting are the same group, but my guess is they are probably not.

I like Weathertop's ideas, but for the 3rd place tie:

>If tie for 3rd - award a 1st and 2nd then split 3rd

I don't really like, because each person gets just $5.   The nice thing about the $10 prize, is that although small, you can just turn it in for 3 months of membership.

6. #6 / 23
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i think you meant Amidon's {#emotions_dlg.devil}

if you get a 3rd place tie, they could fight it 1v1!

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

7. #7 / 23
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Us purple players get confused often Smile

There is no perfect solution, so if you like it then go with it.  If there is a 3rd place tie then such is life.

Now, what if you get a 3-way, or 4-way tie?  This rabbit hole can get pretty deep!

8. #8 / 23
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i think for a >2way tie we revote on those specifcally (with a 48? hour time limit). After the vote if there's a 2way tie, they split per Amidon, if after that there's still a >2way tie then fight it out!

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Fri 1st Mar 11:14 [history]

9. #9 / 23
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Black Smoke.

Sequester all the voters, make them re-vote until a clear winner is chosen.  

White Smoke.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

10. #10 / 23
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Black Smoke.

Sequester all the voters, make them re-vote until a clear winner is chosen.  

White Smoke.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Seriously though - I bet the papacy would make a good theme.

11. #11 / 23
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ok.  Trying to combine everyone's input.  How about this for the official tie breaking algorithm:

Most 1st place votes wins the tie.  (this seems simplest & fair)

If still a tie, the two designers involved in the tie can decide to split the money or work it out between them.  If they can't work it out, then revote for just the contestants in the tie.  Vote lasts 5 days.  Anyone can vote, not just voters in the original vote.

Still a tie? -> decided by a best of 3 competition on the two tied boards as well as WargearWarfare.

Problems?  Questions?

Edited Wed 20th Mar 18:06 [history]

12. #12 / 23
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

So that's one game on tied board 1, one game on tied board 2 and one game on wgwf?

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

13. #13 / 23
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

So that's one game on tied board 1, one game on tied board 2 and one game on wgwf?

That's the idea.  I think the chance of a tie, and then a tie on # of 1st place votes, and then a tie on the revote is extremely minimal, so that catch-all is probably never going to happen & is more just a fun idea and for completeness.

14. #14 / 23
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I haven't read the whole thread, but it's not like you absolutely need a tie breaker.. Winners can split the money.

15. #15 / 23
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

But I want ALL the m&m's. 

16. #16 / 23
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

I haven't read the whole thread, but it's not like you absolutely need a tie breaker.. Winners can split the money.

yep, that was mentioned.  I think it's an ok solution, but the amount of money is so small (mainly if the tie is for 3rd place) that further dividing it seems silly.   I think # of 1st place votes works as a good tie breaker because it can automatically be calculated, is simple and will most of the time break the tie. 

If that doesn't work, step #2 says they players involved can agree to just split the money.

17. #17 / 23
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Pro golfers do it - for obscene amounts of money.

18. #18 / 23
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

If it came down to the duel for a tie breaker, wouldn't it make more sense to have the voters divide up into 2 teams and compete? That way it would be the skill of the people voting instead of the skill of the board designers deciding the winner.

19. #19 / 23
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

If it came down to the duel for a tie breaker, wouldn't it make more sense to have the voters divide up into 2 teams and compete? That way it would be the skill of the people voting instead of the skill of the board designers deciding the winner.

I'm not sure if you are serious.  I guess, sure that would make more sense, but it was just supposed to be a fun way to do a rock-paper-scissors like decision in the very rare chance that it actually happens.

Alternatively - presumably the designers each think their own board is the best, otherwise they should concede the tie to the other.  So in that sense they each represent the voting block that is pushing for their board.

20. #20 / 23
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

I like the basis of this idea, but there is no need to have a slow tiebreak when we already have the results of many games on many boards to refer to.

Step 1: Vote.  Usually there are no ties.

Step 2: If there are ties, weight each vote according to how many championship points that person has and recount.  (Because the opinions of top players about game play are more likely to be informative.)

Step 3: In the unlikely case that there are still ties, take the opinion of the highest ranked player who voted.  Define that ranking by championship points, breaking ties with global ranking, breaking ties with H-rating, breaking ties with how long you've been on the site.

Now the only realistic way to get a tie is if nobody votes. :-)

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)