219 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 16
    Standard Member venustas
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Is their any board that is more like real risk., in that the person takes turn placing the original pieces on the country they choose? Cause if their isn't we need to implement it.

2. #2 / 16
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

If you're looking for the original Risk board as well, then the board Global Warfare has a Scenario for 2 players to choose their territories and then unit placement (Scenario Name: '2 player - turn pick and place') or 2-8 players where the territory selection is random or simultaneous but unit placement is done simultaneously (Scenario Names: 'Random and place simultaneous' and 'Select and place simultaneous').

A few other boards on WarGear have similar beginning territory selection and unit placement to your request if you're interested.

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

3. #3 / 16
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Right, but nothing where there is an iteration of turns in which players place just one unit at a time...wow, would that be tedious even if implemented...it'd take days before the game even started.

4. #4 / 16
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

venustas wrote:

Is their any board that is more like real risk., in that the person takes turn placing the original pieces on the country they choose? Cause if their isn't we need to implement it.

Actually, what you are looking for is a basic RISK map with Turnbased Placement.  With the way the site is set up, that is possible, but not fun.  Simu-placement is more interesting (players choose the order of which territories they would like to own) but still not as good.  The deal is that we're just not all around the same table.

I have some maps that I really like playing as turnbased placement, but the games take so long to start up because the site is email drivel.  Sorry, you aren't going to ever get the RISK feel on a website unless you have a group that will be on all at the same time and join the same game.  If you know those people...

I don't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my butt

5. #5 / 16
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Turn baed Territory selection + simultaneous unit placement is probably the closest option - it would be easy to set up a scenario with this enabled.

6. #6 / 16
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I created a scenarion on Global Warfare "Turn Territory and Simul Unit" as per Tom's suggestion.

I also created a game because I don't think there is another board/scenario with turn-based territory selection and I wanted to try it.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  The game is here:

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/227855

Also, Tom, even when we used to sit around the table together with Risk we used to place 2, 3, 4 units at a time.  Would be great to have a setting on the number of units placed per turn so we could make scenarios that use this feature.

7. #7 / 16
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I wonder if there is a way to clean up the Global Warfare board some, it's looking a bit overwhelming/cluttered.

My Micro Mission - Twist scenario that is Turn Based Selection and then automatic Unit Placement, I was thinking about seeing if I could add another Scenario that has Turn Based Placement too (probably easier said than done as I'm not sure I can get to my original images).

I like the idea of the 2, 3, and 4 unit placement, which I think has been thrown around before as well.

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

8. #8 / 16
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Do you mean clean up all the scenarios?  What are you thinking?

I figured one of your boards had such a scenario -

9. #9 / 16
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Do you mean clean up all the scenarios?  What are you thinking?

Sorry I was pretty vague there.  Mainly just the Board page and mainly around Scenario names, ie somehow come up with a Grouping system or a number system so they display in order and like-Scenarios display next to one another.  For example, putting all the Setup Scenarios together, all the Card/Reserve Scenarios together, all the Neutral Scenarios together, Gameplay etc.  I'm a fan of stamping Scenario names on the Board Image as well, but that's a bit more work.

10. #10 / 16
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

I like the idea of the 2, 3, and 4 unit placement, which I think has been thrown around before as well.

Seems like 4 placement ( and even 3) will be too unfair for anyone outside 1st & 2nd position.  4 placement, means you could take all of australia.

How about an increasing pattern.  First round everyone place 1, next round place 2, next round 3, etc.

Ideally each round order is randomized.  I think that would be relatively fair and fast.

11. #11 / 16
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Not take 4 countries per round rather, after countries are chosen, (by whatever method) additional armies are placed 4 at a time.

Edited Sat 19th Jan 20:09 [history]

12. #12 / 16
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

oh - that makes more sense.

13. #13 / 16
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Not take 4 countries per round rather, after countries are chosen, (by whatever method) additional armies are placed 4 at a time.

That's what I was thinking as well.  Although I do think it has been proposed to allow for more than 1 Territory Selection per round if Turn Based, which could be beneficial and work as well.

14. #14 / 16
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

you know what would be cool, is if you could roll the dice and what you roll is what you get to place that turn. you could have a limit per territory placement. the only problem is the last person to go would not have any place to get a advantage.

it seemed really cool in my head but tomorrow, (to me, and you all) it  will seem stupid. :)

sorry had a fun saturday night!

15. #15 / 16
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

I wonder if there is a way to clean up the Global Warfare board some, it's looking a bit overwhelming/cluttered.

My Micro Mission - Twist scenario that is Turn Based Selection and then automatic Unit Placement, I was thinking about seeing if I could add another Scenario that has Turn Based Placement too (probably easier said than done as I'm not sure I can get to my original images).

I agree - the graphics could do with updating too - they should sack the guy that designed it :)

16. #16 / 16
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

I agree - the graphics could do with updating too - they should sack the guy that designed it :)

you must NOT allow that to happen...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)