1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #21 / 52
    Standard Member NewlyIdle
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

My $.02:

First, I personally prefer seeing the Turn Timer value to the new Time Remaining.  But I don't play many realtime games, and I can certainly see the value in the time remaining column for those who do, as well as those with >100 active games with 40-50 where it is their turn.  So I'd like to see a preferences setting for which value to display.  Maybe seperate enables for each column, so you can have both if you want?

Second, I begrudge the screen real estate for the "Game Speed" column.  Maybe make the "Options" column header clickable to sort on game speed?  It's less obvious, but it could work.

Third, I see the Turn Timer column has disappeared from a player's profile Game List display, but it has not been replaced by Time Remaining.  What's up with that?

2. #22 / 52
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

NewlyIdle wrote:

Second, I begrudge the screen real estate for the "Game Speed" column.  Maybe make the "Options" column header clickable to sort on game speed?  It's less obvious, but it could work.

I agree, the "Game Speed" column is redundant.  If folks want to sort on Game Speed, I'd rather see it listed in the drop-down box along with "Flagged," "Live," etc., assuming it's not possible to click the Dice icon to sort.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun
    Edited Wed 24th Oct 15:57 [history]

3. #23 / 52
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I don't like this. I always sort by the game timer, so the "lively" games are at the top. Can't do that now. And, as said above, the Game Speed is redundant and a waste of space.

4. #24 / 52
    Standard Member ts8801
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I really do not like this change.  I play a variety of game lengths and generally do not have any games where it is my turn.  With this update instead of games showing up at the top of the list when it is my turn, they randomly show up somewhere in the middle of my list of games.  This is only mildly annoying right now with ~30 games, but when I am closer to the max # of games i usually have in the ~100 range It could be quite hard to find games that is my turn in.  I also liked the old method as I usually follow a few games in between my turns, and watch what other due.  Now when another player takes their turn, they appear in the middle of the lists. 

Edited Wed 24th Oct 16:26 [history]

5. #25 / 52
    Standard Member Candy Cane
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

i don't like the new changes.  i might like the option to impliment at a later date.  but the changes make it more complicaed and confusing to me.  likely it's just because i am familar with the old way, but i did like the old way.

6. #26 / 52
    Standard Member civilmurph
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I would like to see an option in preferences to show either a turn timer or time remaining.

7. #27 / 52
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

OK I've backed this out for now... guess it needs more work.

8. #28 / 52
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

booo - I liked it.  I guess it needs some tweaks, but I hope it comes back in some form.

9. #29 / 52
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Only some minor tweaks needed...definitely needs to cater to those folks that follow games in between turns. Sounds like that is a lot.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

10. #30 / 52
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I would like to see the "Not Started" Games on the other end of the list, or always at the bottom.   Sorting by turn timer is useful to me because I can see which games have been in turn the longest, and get to those first. But sorting that way puts not started at the top... And I have to scroll past them... 

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

11. #31 / 52
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the idea.  I can see myself occasionally wanting the data presented that way, so it needs to be selectable.  I suppose members could set their preferences, but optimally, it should be selectable on the page.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

12. #32 / 52
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

I would like to see the "Not Started" Games on the other end of the list, or always at the bottom.   Sorting by turn timer is useful to me because I can see which games have been in turn the longest, and get to those first. But sorting that way puts not started at the top... And I have to scroll past them... 

I was thinking the same thing.

w0000t to returning to being more active with WG! I may even have a board or two in the works with refreshed fire!

13. #33 / 52
    Lieutenant poq poq is offline now
    Standard Member poq
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

ts8801 wrote:

I really do not like this change.  I play a variety of game lengths and generally do not have any games where it is my turn.  With this update instead of games showing up at the top of the list when it is my turn, they randomly show up somewhere in the middle of my list of games.  This is only mildly annoying right now with ~30 games, but when I am closer to the max # of games i usually have in the ~100 range It could be quite hard to find games that is my turn in.  I also liked the old method as I usually follow a few games in between my turns, and watch what other due.  Now when another player takes their turn, they appear in the middle of the lists. 

I don't really understand. The 'My Turns' view lists all games where it is your turn. Why would you look for games where it is your turn in the 'Live Games' view?

14. #34 / 52
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

live games means games in which you're involved and are still going.

my turns list will take those games and filter it for which it is actually your turn.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

15. #35 / 52
    Lieutenant poq poq is offline now
    Standard Member poq
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote: Only some minor tweaks needed...definitely needs to cater to those folks that follow games in between turns. Sounds like that is a lot.

Interesting. I wasn't aware anybody followed games in between turns. Never thought about doing that. But that does indeed seem to be the continental divide here.

I personally don't need the game speed column, either. Can't imagine I'd need to sort for that.

But from a productivity standpoint the most important information the 'My Turns' view can supply is to tell you which turn you have to take next. And the old way, it doesn't do that.

Here is another suggestion:

1. Leave the 'Turn Timer' - this way no one will lose anything they are used to.
    2. Add 'Time Remaining' - for those who are more productivity minded
    3. Set the default sorting to 'Time Remaining' only in the 'My Turns' view - assuming the turn-watchers more frequently use the 'Live Games' view, while the productivity minded ones use the 'My Turns' view

It seems like this way mostly everyone will get what they want. I don't think both adding preferences for this matter and using different columns in different views both would be rather unelegant solutions.

16. #36 / 52
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Whenever I sort columns, that sort remains the next time I go to the My Games tab, so I don't think a preference is needed.  

I think the additional column of Time Remaining (to the right of Turn Timer?) makes sense.

w0000t to returning to being more active with WG! I may even have a board or two in the works with refreshed fire!

17. #37 / 52
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

I think the additional column of Time Remaining (to the right of Turn Timer?) makes sense.

Yeah, agree. I expected it work this way when the change was first proposed, which is why I didn't complain beforehand. 

18. #38 / 52
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

So in one column it would have the turn timer (i.e. 5 hrs 40 mins) counting up and in the immediate other column it would have the time remaining (i.e. 18 hrs 20 mins if a 1 day timer) counting down?

This sounds confusing/redundant as well...I'd suggest going with one or the other, not both.  

19. #39 / 52
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

> This sounds confusing/redundant as well...I'd suggest going with one or the other, not both. 

That would be my preference too.  Once I get time left I don't need my turntimer any more.  Maybe let players configure it, or have a toggle on the games list - like you click the column header to switch between turn time & time left.

20. #40 / 52
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

There's now a 'Toggle Timer Columns' link in the My Games header which allows switching between the column options. Does this work for everyone?

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)