2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 28
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Why not just make them scenarios of one board?

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

2. #2 / 28
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

There's 5 (if you're just talking about the Mario 3 boards)...I believe I've thought/suggested this before as well.  I still don't think it would be a terrible idea...  This is always a slightly slippery slope.

*yawn* *stretch* time to wake up..

3. #3 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

We could certainly use the Go-Geard Boards for precedent.  The theme is the same, yet all of the boards are different graphically.  There are a different numbers of territories in the maps.

On a site-wide aesthetic level, I think having similar boards at the highest search hierarchy is convoluted and messy. Unless there is a difference that makes play on one of the boards mechanically different in a significant way such that a different set of skills is necessary to play one or the other then maybe, but consider..

With Go-Geared, the mechanics of 1-sided vs. 8-sided dice makes them play VERY differently (in the 1 sided version you can't attack your opponent at all), yet I was amenable to grouping them. 

There are other advantages to grouping.  Ratings and Rankings will have much larger participation, in effect giving the boards more opportunity to become "popular."  With these boards, I see no reason to believe that one board should be Rated or Ranked differently than another, and even if there is some disparity of opinion, the rater can include that information in a review.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    Edited Tue 13th Mar 10:22 [history]

4. #4 / 28
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm inclined to err on the side of more scenarios, and less boards, but I think it's up to the individual map maker to make that call.

5. #5 / 28
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i too am apt to think similar boards by the same designer (and in some case multiple designers) could be scenarios under the same board. I know there's been some pushback in the past, mainly due to rankings and ratings and different board ID#s.

in this instance i would htink that 'mario world' is the generic name, and the individual boards would have their own scenario. however, can you have scenarios within scenarios? (not that i think this one does, but it may occur if we do combine things).

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

6. #6 / 28
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I think the project of the Mario maps started before Scenarios and so the designer continued the trend to make new maps of it.  If we're gonna be that way why not just open up a World Map for scenarios and call it "Maps Risky Won't Play" so my search is easier?

Different Scenarios all count for the same map in the rankings so I don't have any problem at all with there being multiple boards of the same theme by the same designer and Mario World is a good example.  It is a certain style of play that some people really enjoy and so they get to compete for points on multiple maps.  If they were all scenarios a person who plays just 1 version could own all the points while someone who plays all of them is neglected while if they were all different maps the 2nd player would have more points on more maps but lose on just that one.  My point is that there are reasons either way, although I don't know if what I said is a reason for it (my guess would be no).

Besides, shouldn't something like that be suggested at the time of review and if not, then it is how it is and that's that?!

Join the Cult of RiskyBack...it's fun and the Kool Aid is YUMMY!

7. #7 / 28
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

One long term fix could be to differentiate between two types of scenarios.  Like major vs. minor revisions.   Major revisions could be counted separately for scoring & ranking, etc.  (basically treated as separate maps, but organized under a single map) but minor revisions would all be treated as the same map.  I envision it like a tree:

Board

Major Revision 1

Minor revision 1.1

Minor reivision 1.2

Major revision 2

Minor revision 2.1

Minor revision 2.2

This separates the two functions of scenarios: organizing similar boards under a single board, tying very similar versions of a board together for ranking purposes.

8. #8 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

Besides, shouldn't something like that be suggested at the time of review..

Probably so.. though there are no clear guidelines at this point.   No one thought to ask me until after I released Go-Diced - and the reviewer of Go-Diced was aware of the existent Go-Geared board at the time of the review.  I was gently persuaded by the community to merge the boards.

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2012p1/New_board_not_showing_up_on_Boards_page

My favorite post from that thread:

Hugh wrote:

"I'd feel a bit sleazy grabbing major points for both boards."

9. #9 / 28
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

If they were all scenarios a person who plays just 1 version could own all the points while someone who plays all of them is neglected while if they were all different maps the 2nd player would have more points on more maps but lose on just that one. 

Besides, shouldn't something like that be suggested at the time of review and if not, then it is how it is and that's that?!

Agreed on both points.
    +(1+1) = +2

Maybe we should better define what a "Scenario" is vs a "New Map."
    I thought the point of a new scenario = same map, same gameplay, with maybe some tweaks to cards/rules/starting positions (see:  different versions of Base 9, for instance)
    While "New Map" = anything different more than the above.

(It's why I wasn't a fan of combining Go-Diced and Go-Geared:  they play VERY different, so I'd have thought that they should be different maps)

As soon as the graphics are different, I think they're different maps.
    As soon as the gameplay changes, I think they're different maps.
    All of the Marios play the same, but they feel to me like they are different boards.
    Same is true with all the Risk Clones.

Ozy - I understand where your head's at, but I'd lean towards "Major Revision" = "New Board" and save Tom any new programming.  Hence, Mario's stay separate (and in related news:  Go could also be split into 2 boards again, Geared and Dice)

10. #10 / 28
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i agree they're different boards, and if you're going to use Ozy's tree on the Mario stuff - itd be more like (with some liberties for clarification):

Mario World
       World 1 (default)
       World 1 (castles)

World 2 (default)
       World 2 (castles)

World 3 (default)
       World 3 (hordes)

stay away from the word revision as that would be used for fixing something in a particular map. all the above would be "rev 1" as they were initially released. but say World 1 (default) had a missing border (that wasn't missing from the castles version) it would become:

Mario World
       World 1 (default) rev1.2

With Go it'd be:

GO
    Go-Geared
    Go-Geared (reserved-available for more scenarios)

Go-Diced
    Go-Diced (reserved-available for more scenarios)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Tue 13th Mar 15:53 [history]

11. #11 / 28
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Whatever your definition of scenario vs. new map, it will have to find a way to include Simulgear.  This style of play is VERY different yet the board can look exactly the same.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

12. #12 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Well, Go Geared and Go-Diced have 9x9 boards and 11x11 boards.  The irony is that if I was to make them separate Games I would have an 8x8 and an 11x11 for each game.  It's the dice mods that makes it a different game.  For all intensive purposes, one game uses dice, and the other doesn't.  That's quite a difference.

13. #13 / 28
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

IMO it makes sense to use scenarios when the theme is consistent.  I believe the only current objection to this is the ranking question.  

How easy would it be to have rankings for each scenario? Win-win?

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

14. #14 / 28
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Mad Bomber wrote:

am i missing something?

go diced and go geared are the same board......same number of territories......

Are you missing something: I think yes.
    My prediction is that you, like most people, don't actually use dice in the Go-Diced version, and just play it like you would play Go-Geared.  I don't.

Sure if I'm playing well, and ahead from the beginning, I won't use the dice.

But put me behind in the game, and I play VERY differently (scrappy, and using the dice to make HUGE moves on my opponent to try to gain the advantage back).  My guess is that guys like Hugh, Black Dog, probably you (Mad Bomber), just play the tactical, and have never had someone use the dice to their advantage.

I had a game where M57 was schooling me, and with a series of a few lucky roles I'd turned the entire game on him.  That's what makes Go-Diced different than Go-Geared.  But if you never play against someone who is willing to make that attack, then you'd never see the difference.

15. #15 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I was mixed about what the right thing to do with GG.  On the one hand the mechanics of game play are radically different, with one giving players the option to use the dice, which completely alters correct strategy in many cases. 

On the other hand, the same skill-set must be developed to be successful on each.  The boards are similarly themed (if not for the fact that some are larger than others. 

In the end, I think combining them for statistical purposes was the right call.  It's not becoming a "popular" board, so summative stats gives it more clout when it comes to ratings and analysis.  In my opinion, once stats can be broken out by scenario, there's very little in way of argument to separate them.   Mario-3 would benefit similarly.

Navigating the top hierarchy is becoming cumbersome.  When you create a game and pull down the select game menu, it goes way off the screen.

BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed losing that game to Boris.  It validated the design all the more. He did exactly what was needed to beat me.

Edited Wed 14th Mar 06:35 [history]

16. #16 / 28
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

(RE the win over M57:  In his defense...I did get great rolls, and he has continued to slaughter me in most other games we've played together)

17. #17 / 28
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I... I think this looks like searching for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

In your Face!

18. #18 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:

I... I think this looks like searching for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Well, I guess it all depends on whether or not you think the top board list is getting crowded.

19. #19 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Mad Bomber wrote:

top board list? none of these boards are top rated.....i must be missing something

By top board I mean top of the board selection hierarchy, not top rated.

20. #20 / 28
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Just now seeing this thread, sorry. I'd be fine doing whatever. I was originally planning on making several scenarios for each Mario World which is why multiple boards made since. But now i don't think that'll happen so i'd be fine with whatever you all decide. 

As far as the board list goes, there will continue to be more and more boards released to crowed the list. What if instead of listing them all together, they were grouped? So, for instance, when you go to the board list there are 8 choices: Classic, Duals, All Boards, etc... this would clean things up i think.

(sorry if this is kind of a hijacked thread)

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)