206 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 36
    Premium Member Cona Chris
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

What if there was a dedicated Forum thread for each board on WG, and there was a link for it in the tabs of the actual Board?  So for example you can click on Board Rankings, Games List, and so on, but now add "Thread" (or whatever the name may be)? 

In the thread there could be things like discussions on strategy for that specific board, etc.  I know that there are threads in the Forum already for this, but you have to know they are there and/or search for them.  This way, if you are checking out a board, you can see what others have to say, in-depth, about the board's strategy, or whatever else people wanted to post about it.

Makes it a little easier for the Noobs to the board., especially for the intermediate and advanced boards  It might help keep them coming back to the board instead of trying it once and getting killed and never coming back.

2. #2 / 36
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

+1.  Would there be a new 'forum' for these?

3. #3 / 36
    Thread Slayer Severene
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

+1.  I like this idea.

BTW - I am NOT complaining. I am just trying to make the world a better place with more awesome suggestions.

4. #4 / 36
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

maybe 'discussion' for the link text.

5. #5 / 36
    Standard Member the regulator
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

great idea

6. #6 / 36
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

So there could be separate threads within each forum?

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Thu 26th Jan 06:40 [history]

7. #7 / 36
    Premium Member Cona Chris
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

The way I was thinking, it would be a separate forum dedicated for each board... there would likely be only a few threads for each board (if even that many), but as many could be created as people wanted.  Then they are all organized in one place for that board.   So for example, the board "Invention" could have a thread for strategy, a thread for ideas/suggestions on tweaks, a thread for open DEV games for new scenarios, a thread for trash talking :), etc.

Not sure how hard that is or if there is a better/easier way...

8. #8 / 36
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Cona Chris wrote:

The way I was thinking, it would be a separate forum dedicated for each board... 

I don't think that's a good idea, information would get hard/even more difficult to find.  We all know topics don't stay on topic all that much (*cough*ever*cough* :)), so having hundreds of Forums probably isn't a good idea.

9. #9 / 36
    Thread Slayer Severene
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

At minimum a 1 page forum to chat about the board.  Perhaps like the message board on a users profile.  But yes, it would be nicer if people could open seperate threads concerning boards are if there were pre-set threads like: General, Kudos,  Bugs, Strategy, Trash-Talk, etc.

BTW - I am NOT complaining. I am just trying to make the world a better place with more awesome suggestions.

10. #10 / 36
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    Cona Chris wrote:

The way I was thinking, it would be a separate forum dedicated for each board... 

I don't think that's a good idea, information would get hard/even more difficult to find.  We all know topics don't stay on topic all that much (*cough*ever*cough* :)), so having hundreds of Forums probably isn't a good idea.

I think if the "board forums" were kept separate from the "Forums" it wouldn't be confusing.  The forum for any given board would be found by going to that board's page.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.

11. #11 / 36
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I was thinking just a thread for each board.  Alternatively, there could be a fixed set of threads for each board, (i.e. something like 'general', 'strategy', 'cartography').

Having a separate forum for each board might not be a bad idea either, as long as everything is well organized.

What is best might just depend on what is easiest for Tom to implement.

12. #12 / 36
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

What is best might just depend on what is easiest for Tom to implement.

I think what is best should be what is easiest to navigate and least confusing.  Tom is a magician; he can do anything.

13. #13 / 36
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    Cona Chris wrote:

I like this idea a lot, but I understand your concern.

My suspicion is that our most rambling threads involve luck, rankings, stats, suggested improvements to the site, and so forth. My recollection of the Spy v Spy, Five, Propagate, and that Fog Antastic thread is that everyone stayed on topic. These are some of our most focused threads. Since the topic narrows so dramatically, we avoid the usual traps of open-ended conversation.

e^ix=cos x + i*sin x. Tell your friends.

14. #14 / 36
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:
    Yertle wrote:
    Cona Chris wrote:

I'm with Yertle on this one.  It sounds like it could be a good idea but needs some more development to make it less vague.  

If it's strategy that's the main need, awhile ago there was discussion about an informal "Beginner's Guide" for each board that would be linked to each board via a quick link.  This idea never really gained any traction.

If it's trash talk, I would wonder why we need a dedicated forum thread for that.

If it's too general, I think the conversation would just be all over the place and difficult to find anything...only now with a whole other forum to boot.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

15. #15 / 36
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:
     It sounds like it could be a good idea but needs some more development to make it less vague.  

that's why we're here..

If it's strategy that's the main need, awhile ago there was discussion about an informal "Beginner's Guide" for each board that would be linked to each board via a quick link.  This idea never really gained any traction.

If it's strategy that's the main need, then an informal Beginner's guide not enough.  That would explain why it got not traction.

If it's trash talk, I would wonder why we need a dedicated forum thread for that.

It's not just trash, but trash related to a specific board would be much more appropriate in a forum dedicated to that board.

If it's too general, I think the conversation would just be all over the place and difficult to find anything...only now with a whole other forum to boot.

Maybe we're talking about different things.  I'm thinking about a Forum page dedicated to each board, with no limit on the number of threads that can be started.  Perhaps there could be categories..

General/TrashTalk/Strategy/Suggestions/etc..

I don't see how it would be any more difficult to find things than it is in this forum.

16. #16 / 36
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:

It's a similar idea. The quick link from a board page, coupling the information to the board instead of the forum stream, is there in both ideas.

The static version of the idea specializes to an important topic (beginner guide). In the more dynamic thread/forum version, we'd want to encourage a few structured posts, such as mechanics or beginner guides as sticky posts.

e^ix=cos x + i*sin x. Tell your friends.

17. #17 / 36
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:

It's a similar idea. The quick link from a board page, coupling the information to the board instead of the forum stream, is there in both ideas.

The static version of the idea specializes to an important topic (beginner guide). In the more dynamic thread/forum version, we'd want to encourage a few structured posts, such as mechanics or beginner guides as sticky posts.

One is a page of threads.. and the other could be more Wiki-like.  Is this what you are talking about Hugh? Realistically, I think it doesn't make sense to have both -- in which case the former would be preferable.

18. #18 / 36
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

It would be cool if each map could have a "Wall" so people could post things and then they could be commented on, that way everything is all in 1 place but you can tell where one topic starts and keep it all tidy.  I doubt that sort of integration is possible but I kinda like the idea.

Join the Cult of RiskyBack...it's fun and the Kool Aid is YUMMY!

19. #19 / 36
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

It would be cool if each map could have a "Wall" so people could post things and then they could be commented on, that way everything is all in 1 place but you can tell where one topic starts and keep it all tidy.  I doubt that sort of integration is possible but I kinda like the idea.

I've thought of a wall before, but the idea of a threaded wall is kind of interesting ..I think it's probably easier and more consistent to have folders like in the regular forums.

20. #20 / 36
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

A threaded wall sounds cool -

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)