219 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 19
    Standard Member the regulator
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

is there anyway to have this done or can only the board designer do this?

2. #2 / 19
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Only the designer can do it.  But every board scenario can have different card structures.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

3. #3 / 19
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

thats what i figured... sent in a request to him but havent heard back yet

4. #4 / 19
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'll bet this was thoroughly debated in the early WG days. If you start to give "game creators" too much control over how the game plays, they can fundamentally alter the way it was meant to be played. I'd even bet that changing the card progression alters fairness on some boards.  In many cases it's a deal breaker for me.  But you can petition the map maker to make a scenario ..or even change the card set in an existing scenario.

Yertle's Micro-Mission is an example.. I suggested that for the Stasis scenario, 4,4,4,4, ... was more appropriate to the scale than 5,5,5,5, .. and he changed it.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

5. #5 / 19
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

i sent cramchakle a message sat requesting a version of his euro 1560 with a different card value but i guess he either doesnt read his messages or chose to ignore it...  

6. #6 / 19
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I got it. I'm a busy fella' with a job and a family and a, well, that about covers it, actually. But I squeeze Wargear in while I'm on hold with my vendors or on my lunch hour. I barely have time to accomplish on here what I want, so I'm sorry that I haven't had a chance to reply to you.

I'll consider making a tweak to the card scale for you, as it has been a concern of mine since the first time I ever played the very similar map on ToS. That said, lower and slower card scales on 1560 lead to a different problem: stalemates. The version on Warfish allowed the game host to alter the card scales, and games I played on 1560 with flat or stagnant card scales usually resulted in games that never ended. Some changes to layout could correct it, but my goal in bringing this map here was to faithfully recreate an old favorite of many people - warts and all.

Also, scenarios are a mechanic that appeared during my 1-year sabatical from Wargear, and I'll have to find some time to figure out what and how.

In your Face!

7. #7 / 19
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

i appriciate your response and hope you will forgive me my impatience...  let me start off by saying i have 4 boards on here that ive found i really like, 2 of which are yours, the one mentioned and your world war map.

i understand your concern about stalemates and would hate to see you have to alter the map so maybe even a card scale like in the colossul solar game where it goes from 5-20 and then starts back at the beginning, or maybe just making the cards go up in increments of one instead of two.  or both =cD 

again i appriciate your concerns about the game and the time you would have to spend on doing this, and of course your continued contributions to wargear as well as apoligize for my impatiatence shown in my prior post...

8. #8 / 19
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

You actually got me to pull 1560 off the shelf today. I've reworked the graphics to be a true fill mode, something I abandoned in the past due to not having the skill or tools to maintain visual clarity. I think I've got it. And, in the spirit of moving forward, I'm switching the cards to an increment of 1, so that the continent collection can play out, but also so that cards do eventually get high enough to overwhelm any kind of continental bonus based stalemates.

It was also your kick in the pants that got me to learn scenarios and fix up a version of Fallout.

So, thanks, actually.

In your Face!

9. #9 / 19
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

thanks cram

10. #10 / 19
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:

You actually got me to pull 1560 off the shelf today. I've reworked the graphics to be a true fill mode, something I abandoned in the past due to not having the skill or tools to maintain visual clarity. 

There was a Fill mode...but then there was a revolt so you changed it back... http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/381p1/What_happened_to_Europe_1560_

11. #11 / 19
    Standard Member Toro
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I dislike that on the main 'Risk' board, wargear warfare, the only card scale available is 4, 6, 8,..., n+2.

The only thing that matters is cards.  The only strategy is staying alive for the big card cashes, and eliminating those with cards.

I'd love if you can change card values, at least even if it's for a private unranked game.  Or if each board can have a progressive and static card setting.  Is there any way to push for something like this?  I assume people have brought it up in the past.  I just started digging a bit on it now.

edit:  i understand original risk rules have a scale to this.  I guess I grew up playing 4, 6, 8, 10, 4, 6,... repeating, and I like that it relies less on cards and more on holding countries/continents.

So I guess for ranked versions the way the cards scale is accurate, but it'd be cool at least for unranked games to customize the card scale.

Edited Wed 20th Feb 15:53 [history]

12. #12 / 19
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Wargear Warfare is Toaster, and I think he is fairly amenable to amendments.  :)  Try PMing him to make your case & offer to play some test games to make sure he likes it.   For a small change like that you probably have a decent chance.

13. #13 / 19
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

There's also Global Warfare which is the standard map with a number of scenarios including no cards and 4, 6, 8, 10, 4, 6, 8, 10, ... cards.

14. #14 / 19
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I was looking through the original Risk rules a week or so ago and the interesting this is that I don't believe the WG Card Scale can actually mimic the original Card Scale of 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 25, 30...

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

15. #15 / 19
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

funny, i usually have the game end before high card values come into play...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

16. #16 / 19
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

I was looking through the original Risk rules a week or so ago and the interesting this is that I don't believe the WG Card Scale can actually mimic the original Card Scale of 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 25, 30...

I believe you are correct, because that would require two separate ramps.  Of course we can get pretty close 4,6,8,10,12,16,20,24,28,32 is maybe the best match.

17. #17 / 19
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:
    Yertle wrote:

I believe you are correct, because that would require two separate ramps.  Of course we can get pretty close 4,6,8,10,12,16,20,24,28,32 is maybe the best match.

On a board I'm working on that is to match the original rules so far I've went with 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 25, 30...

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

18. #18 / 19
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I actually like yours better.  Especially in a big game, the difference between first and last player to turn in would be huge in the original Risk rules.

19. #19 / 19
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I always played it with fixed values. Something like 4 for 3 artillery, 6 for 3 infantry, 8 for 3 cavalry, and 10 for 1 of each or something like that. Also not implementable here.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)