226 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 13
    Standard Member YuriZ
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

In a 3v2 dice situation, who got the advantage? The attacker or the defender?

2. #2 / 13
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

6 sided dice? Attacker edge: Defender loses roughly 6 units per 5 units that the attacker loses.

3. #3 / 13
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The attacker has a light advantage, a 1.07 hope of win I believe.  

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

4. #4 / 13
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It depends.  Rolling a stack of 4 against a stack of 4 does not give the attacker the advantage.

I would recommend googling "risk dice probability", or "risk dice statistics".

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Mon 22nd Aug 13:25 [history]

5. #5 / 13
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Sorry Hugh, I did not see your reply as I was writing mine. your figure seems too high I believe.

6. #6 / 13
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Toto wrote:

Sorry Hugh, I did not see your reply as I was writing mine. your figure seems too high I believe.

Hugh is correct (in an extended 3v2 battle), attacker will lose 0.92 dice per each roll and defender will lose 1.07 dice per roll

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Mon 22nd Aug 13:35 [history]

7. #7 / 13
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

It's an overestimate, but it isn't by much, and is usable. For more precision, we can use the often cited single roll probabilities: 37.17% defender loses 2, 33.58% is a split, 29.26% attacker loses 2. The expected attacker loss is 0.9210 per roll, and the expected defender loss is 1.079 per roll. The defender expects to lose ~1.17 units per attacker unit lost. Rounding to 1.2 gives the nice and usable 6 to 5 I just gave, though 1.17 to 1 is certainly more precise. 13 to 11 is also close :) 

If you roll 20 times, the precise estimate and the 6 to 5 both give defender losing 22, attacker losing 18 after rounding to the nearest integers. So, I think it's dirty, but decent. For larger numbers of rolls, you might want to use the more precise estimates.

Edited Mon 22nd Aug 13:47 [history]

8. #8 / 13
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Toto wrote:

Hugh is correct (in an extended 3v2 battle), attacker will lose 0.92 dice per each roll and defender will lose 1.07 dice per roll

This is also what I was trying to say when speaking of a 1.07 hope of win for the winner :)

9. #9 / 13
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:

It's an overestimate, but it isn't by much, and is usable. For more precision, we can use the often cited single roll probabilities: 37.17% defender loses 2, 33.58% is a split, 29.26% attacker loses 2. The expected attacker loss is 0.9210 per roll, and the expected defender loss is 1.079 per roll. The defender expects to lose ~1.17 units per attacker unit lost. Rounding to 1.2 gives the nice and usable 6 to 5 I just gave, though 1.17 to 1 is certainly more precise. 13 to 11 is also close :) 

If you roll 20 times, the precise estimate and the 6 to 5 both give defender losing 22, attacker losing 18 after rounding to the nearest integers. So, I think it's dirty, but decent. For larger numbers of rolls, you might want to use the more precise estimates.

Great, this is much more accurate. Your estimate was indeed not that bad.

Edited Mon 22nd Aug 13:54 [history]

10. #10 / 13
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I wrote some online tools that are available to anyone that wants them:

http://prestopnik.com/wargear

They both allow you to set attack/defense bonuses.

The one on the left is a simulator and after you enter the initial starting situation, it runs 1000 simulations (by default), and tells you how often the attacker wins, and the distribution of units left.

The one on the right is a calculator.  It tells you on average what your odds are.

11. #11 / 13
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Good thing Hugh never took a statistics class...can you imagine if he had?

{#emotions_dlg.shocked}

Edited Wed 24th Aug 00:00 [history]

12. #12 / 13
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

The one on the left is a simulator and after you enter the initial starting situation, it runs 1000 simulations (by default), and tells you how often the attacker wins, and the distribution of units left.

The one on the right is a calculator.  It tells you on average what your odds are.

Very cool.  Any way we can have this as a sticky or in the Help tab so new players (and non-statisticians like myself) can reference easily?

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

13. #13 / 13
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:
    Ozyman wrote:

Very cool.  Any way we can have this as a sticky or in the Help tab so new players (and non-statisticians like myself) can reference easily?

http://www.wargear.net/help/display/FAQ#Calc

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)