2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 21
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Learned this at work last week (it was semi-work related though!):

If the number Googolplex (1 with a googol (1 followed by 100 zeros) of zeros) were attempted to be written in Microsoft Word, all the computers in the world would not even come close to being able to handle the filesize.

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

2. #2 / 21
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Considering there are only about 2.5×1089elementary particles in the observable universe.  I'd say you are going to have a hard time writing 10100 digits, no matter what the system.  Of course, I guess the easy way to do it is to write it in base googol.  Then it is just... actually I have no idea what that would be, so I guess it's not the easy way.  At least not for me.  Maybe someone here with better math skills could say if that would make it easier.

3. #3 / 21
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Well, two in base two is 10, three in base three is 10, ten in base ten is 10, and ... yes, googol in base googol is 10. And that is not many digits at all :) 

4. #4 / 21
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:

Well, two in base two is 10, three in base three is 10, ten in base ten is 10, and ... yes, googol in base googol is 10. And that is not many digits at all :) 

We were talking about googolplex, although I guess googolplex in base googolplex is 10, which would indeed be the easy way out. 

The specific problem I posed (for no good reason) was googolplex in base googol.  So 10^n in base n where n = Googol.  10 seconds of googling didn't tell me if there was a general solution to 10^n in base n.

5. #5 / 21
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

eh...?

6. #6 / 21
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

The specific problem I posed (for no good reason) was googolplex in base googol.  So 10^n in base n where n = Googol.  10 seconds of googling didn't tell me if there was a general solution to 10^n in base n.

Ah yes, this better than just punting to silliness. Googolplex is 10^(10^100).

10^(10^100) = (10^100)^k is essentially what we're asking (n is the number of 0's after a 1 we'd be using base googol).  But (10^100)^k = 10^(100k), so 100k = 10^100.  k = 10^100/10^2 = 10^98.  So, not a big improvement - 10^98 zeroes in base googol instead of 10^100 zeroes in base 10!!!

The base (googol) was a power of 10 whose exponent was also a power of 10, so that won't work for the general 10^n base n.

Edited Tue 21st Jun 23:56 [history]

7. #7 / 21
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Considering there are only about 2.5×1089elementary particles in the observable universe.  I'd say you are going to have a hard time writing 10100 digits, no matter what the system.  Of course, I guess the easy way to do it is to write it in base googol.  Then it is just... actually I have no idea what that would be, so I guess it's not the easy way.  At least not for me.  Maybe someone here with better math skills could say if that would make it easier.

Sounds like there is the possibility that the observable universe IS Microsoft's attempt to write this number and store the file size...

...which means the Big Bang was really just the moment when Bill Gates flipped the power switch in his mom's basement.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

8. #8 / 21
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thanks for laying that out for me.  Makes sense and gives me another perspective on just how huge a googolplex is!

9. #9 / 21
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:
    Ozyman wrote:

Sounds like there is the possibility that the observable universe IS Microsoft's attempt to write this number and store the file size...

...which means the Big Bang was really just the moment when Bill Gates flipped the power switch in his mom's basement.

I can't speak for the rest of you, but I'm pretty sure I don't have enough elementary particles in my brain to think about beginning to begin the process of thinking about beginning the process of having a clue how big a googleplex is.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could "really "play WG boards in real-time?
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Wed 22nd Jun 15:05 [history]

10. #10 / 21
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

...and Gates said "Let there be -plex."

11. #11 / 21
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

More useless knowledge, relating to strategy games:  There are nearly 319,000,000,000 different ways to play the first 4 moves of a game of Chess.

And a piece of knowledge, relating to nothing else:  Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike every year than all factory workers who work for Nike in Malaysia combined.

12. #12 / 21
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

"Eunoia" is the shortest word containing all five vowels. One of its meanings is "beautiful thinking", a notion I rather like.

13. #13 / 21
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Anybody know if there's a word containing all consonants?

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

14. #14 / 21
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

There's tons of them.  I have a mother-in-law who really likes Scrabble.
    http://www.tnellen.com/ted/scrabble/scrabble_words_others.html

15. #15 / 21
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Apparently not, but the word with the most consonents is:

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

at 25

16. #16 / 21
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Although apparently that isn't a "real" word.

Antidisestablishmentarianism has 17

Edited Thu 23rd Jun 13:08 [history]

17. #17 / 21
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I like this one:

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg

18. #18 / 21
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Proper nouns don't count.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could "really "play WG boards in real-time?
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

19. #19 / 21
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ha! In a world of chemical, technical, translated, and coined words the proper nouns don't have a place?

20. #20 / 21
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This article covers most of these weird words:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_words_with_uncommon_properties

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)