2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 14
    Private emz emz is offline now
    Standard Member emz
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I just made my first board. It's pretty simple and straightforward.

I started a bunch of "developing" games, in every format (team and non-team) except for 10 player/5 teams, 12 player/6 teams, 14 player/7 teams, and 16 player/8 teams.

If people want to play, here is the board's link.

Here is a link to the games list with the many formats, all first timers.

I'd appreciate any feedback, on the board itself, or on creating boards in general.

Thanks, all!

Edited Thu 16th Jun 21:04 [history]

2. #2 / 14
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

simple and cool concept for a first map.  nice execution.

3. #3 / 14
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

You based the attack/defend bonuses on the color of the part of the circle/ellipse, but when the game is actually played the colors will be different because of the players.   I could see this as confusing to players.

In general I like the board though.  They don't need to be fancy to play well.

4. #4 / 14
    Standard Member emz
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

You based the attack/defend bonuses on the color of the part of the circle/ellipse, but when the game is actually played the colors will be different because of the players.   I could see this as confusing to players.

In general I like the board though.  They don't need to be fancy to play well.

I'll have to re-word the "About" then. Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that the colors would disappear.

5. #5 / 14
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

you can keep the same concept. you just have to be creative with graphics. For example, you could create and outline for each circle that would remain the base color. 

Also, this is your first board, so it's fun to play around and see what comes of it. You've done a good job. One thing that can be difficult, but makes boards much more fun, is finding a theme that you could make your board around. That way, instead of playing on simple circles it could be something more interesting. This isn't necessary, but it can make boards more fun! :)  

Grace and Peace to you from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Chirst

6. #6 / 14
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

What Jigleer said -

Also you could also put little icons in the spaces.  Use 1 sword for +1 attack, 2 swords for +2, a shield for +1 defense, etc.

Do a google image search for "sword icon" or something similar and you should get something.

7. #7 / 14
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I kind of agree and kind of disagree with what people are saying.  On the one hand a theme is preferred, but there are boards out there that are pretty much abstract designs.

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/EVE+Universe/Board

But non-themed boards are rare for a reason. 

Also, I'm thinking that you're trying to start way too many Dev games.   I'd say you'll be lucky to fill 3 of them in the next 2 weeks, maybe more.   For one, you run the risk of people all joining different games, in which case you'll be lucky to fill any of them.  I would recommend floating 1 or 2 to start. 

Just my 2 cents.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could "really "play WG boards in real-time?
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Thu 16th Jun 22:45 [history]

8. #8 / 14
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Also, I'm thinking that you're trying to start way too many Dev games.   I'd say you'll be lucky to fill 3 of them in the next 2 weeks, maybe more.   For one, you run the risk of people all joining different games, in which case you'll be lucky to fill any of them.  I would recommend floating 1 or 2 to start. 

Agreed, first step is a basic dev game with what you envision as the optimum number of players.  Make sure borders are right and the general concept works. After that you can start testing variations.  This one looks OK at first glance but you might find that it is "broken" and it would suck to have 10+ games in limbo because of a technical issue.

Sometimes you have to bathe the cat
    Edited Fri 17th Jun 04:50 [history]

9. #9 / 14
    Standard Member emz
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

What Jigleer said -

Also you could also put little icons in the spaces.  Use 1 sword for +1 attack, 2 swords for +2, a shield for +1 defense, etc.

Do a google image search for "sword icon" or something similar and you should get something.

That's a good idea as well. Hadn't thought of it.

10. #10 / 14
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Your current Board Description works also.  That is easy enough to understand.

11. #11 / 14
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I kind of disagree regarding the sword icon thing.  Right now you've got an abstract thing going.  This isn't knights of the round table or Middle Earth.  I would get something going in the background and then figure out how to (or not to) show the mods from there.

12. #12 / 14
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Your current Board Description works also.  That is easy enough to understand.

agreed. and nothing else will be needed graphically to show this and 'ruin' the simple graphics.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

13. #13 / 14
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

One man's simplicity is another's boredom.  I'm not disagreeing with you, W. It really is a matter of taste.

If it were me, I would at least experiment with something other than black in the background.  Even the simplest of textures or atmospheres could make it pop.  Who knows, everything I try might "ruin" it and I would come back to black, but it's certainly worth a try and easy to experiment with if you use layers.

Edited Mon 20th Jun 12:23 [history]

14. #14 / 14
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

true, and i agree - background alterations could do something surprising.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)