224 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 13
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Im trying to make a board that is simmiler to battle ship.

http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/751 ;

The problem is that Capitals need another option. right now there is Neutral Capital and Allocated Capital. With the Neutral Capital you can not select your starting position. It says that you must select a unoccupied territory (I have the nutrels set to 0 and it still says that). With Allocated Capital you allways have the same setup so all you have to do is look in the starting scenario to find where the other players troops are.

What i would like is have a Capital that is unassigned until the Unit Section Phase.

I assume that it wouldn't be to hard to implement but like I said "I assume"

2. #2 / 13
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Do you mean players choose their capital locations during unit placement?

3. #3 / 13
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I mean the capitals are open (not neutral or assigned to a player in the scenario) and when it comes time for territory selection, that is when it is selected or automatically assigned.

4. #4 / 13
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Are you asking for an extra step in between territory selection and unit placement where a player gets to pick their capital(s) based on what territories they have?

-or-
    Are you asking to be able to designate territories as capitals in the board set-up and then whoever gets them during territory selection gets them?

-or-
    Something else?

5. #5 / 13
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote: Are you asking for an extra step in between territory selection and unit placement where a player gets to pick their capital(s) based on what territories they have?

-or-
    Are you asking to be able to designate territories as capitals in the board set-up and then whoever gets them during territory selection gets them?

-or-
    Something else?

option B

more for the "turn based" territory selection then the "automatic" territory selection

6. #6 / 13
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I've thought about this before and asked tom about it (can't find the post), but an Unallocated Capital idea is intriguing. I'm not sure if it would/should be available for Automatic Territory selection, but Turn Based and potentially Simultaneous Territory selection it has more merits.

I think "Unit Section Phase" should be "Territory Selection Phase", Unit phase would be placing units IMO.

7. #7 / 13
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I can see having such an Unallocated Capital being a fine idea in random territory selection if either it was combined with a board such as Total Wargear and everyone started with one capital or if it was combined with the idea that was floated sometime about players randomly getting a certain number of territories from a certain group. (E.g. each person gets a random capital and then each person gets a random allotment of the rest.) So I don't think it should necessarily be restricted if it was implemented.

And actually now that it was brought up I remember playing with creating a board where I wanted each player to randomly start with a capital and couldn't do it so I abandoned the idea.

8. #8 / 13
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

can't you make them neutrals with zero units?

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

9. #9 / 13
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote: can't you make them neutrals with zero units?

yes, but that would work differently.  Think about have 4 players on a board with 10 capitals.  Krock wants to randomly / player select one for each player and then have the rest destroyed.  Actually to play battleship Krock want to select many, but then have the rest destroyed.  I like this idea.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

10. #10 / 13
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:

yes, but that would work differently.  Think about have 4 players on a board with 10 capitals.  Krock wants to randomly / player select one for each player and then have the rest destroyed.  Actually to play battleship Krock want to select many, but then have the rest destroyed.  I like this idea.

This is an interesting idea, but is it too specific?  Will it be used by many designers?  If only certain territories are defined as potential capitals, what if the designer wants each player to have more than one?  The menu options could get busy.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

11. #11 / 13
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Alpha wrote:

This is an interesting idea, but is it too specific?  Will it be used by many designers?  If only certain territories are defined as potential capitals, what if the designer wants each player to have more than one?  The menu options could get busy.

It falls under the assign one of these ___ territories to each player, rest are neutral category, or unallocated capitals are destroyed after territory selection.  In my mind the first should be used often and is not that busy, assign groups for random start (similar to continents).  The capital selection phase is a check box.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

12. #12 / 13
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I tried that but it doesn't work. if you designate a territory as neutral then it will start as a neutral you wont be able to select it (or have it randomly assigned) in the territory select phase .

13. #13 / 13
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

but you could attack and 'claim' it as your capital, and if total fog is on...still not what you want but maybe a workaround.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)