Pages:   1234   (4 in total)
  1. #21 / 67
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Wow!. That *really* looks good.  Nice idea WT & great execution M57!

It's hard to believe how much is on the wiki after just two days.  Mostly due to your amazing efforts M57. 

Thanks - although when school gets back in session - I'll go into perennial hibernation mode, where I come out to take a few moves and make a few posts.  It's looking like I'll be lucky to push out 1 map per summer.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

2. #22 / 67
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

3- Can you make (or find) a three layer cross-view (thinking like three planes in 3D about to be stacked on one another)? Think this will help visually explain layering. If you can't let me know, I'll work on it.

I think I did it!! Woohoo..

It's at the very bottom of the tutorial - let me know if that's what you had in mind.

beautiful. even if you cheated and used an in-tool tool {#emotions_dlg.thumb}

it might be better to have that up top and described, so that as you're going thru talking about how things will be seen thru the board layer from the fill they have a visual.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

3. #23 / 67
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:
    M57 wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

3- Can you make (or find) a three layer cross-view (thinking like three planes in 3D about to be stacked on one another)? Think this will help visually explain layering. If you can't let me know, I'll work on it.

I think I did it!! Woohoo..

It's at the very bottom of the tutorial - let me know if that's what you had in mind.

beautiful. even if you cheated and used an in-tool tool {#emotions_dlg.thumb}

it might be better to have that up top and described, so that as you're going thru talking about how things will be seen thru the board layer from the fill they have a visual.

I actually put it on the top at first - but then thought it might be confusing..

4. #24 / 67
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

I actually put it on the top at first - but then thought it might be confusing..

Whoever moved it - Great! -  I like..

5. #25 / 67
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm ambivalent about the placement of the talk - it's fine with me if we want to move it to the end.  

I'm not that happy with the way the notice on the page looks.  I wish it was red or centered or bigger or in a box or something, but I couldn't figure out how to do any of that.

6. #26 / 67
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i put it in a table box. not much of an improvement...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

7. #27 / 67
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think there are some doku plugins that might give us a bit more control over how it looks.

8. #28 / 67
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i was looking for stuff, but wasn't sure if you just needed the plugins to create the stuff (i.e. just the wiki developers needed them) or if you needed the plugin to see it (i.e. everyone needs it in order to see it the way it's intended).

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

9. #29 / 67
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Is it possible to make it the same color scheme as the main site? The transition is jarring.

10. #30 / 67
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

didn't even think about that as i play in work mode all the time...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

11. #31 / 67
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

K, M57. i like the image manipulation, but you've got me stumped. how did you justify some of the images? i figure that the number (eg. 200) is to how large (pixel-size) it will be.

I can see if it's '.png?200 |' it centers, where '.png?200|' it doesn't, but that doesn't hold true to others. for example: where '.png |' allows text to wrap on the right of the image where '.png|' doesn't.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

12. #32 / 67
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

i was looking for stuff, but wasn't sure if you just needed the plugins to create the stuff (i.e. just the wiki developers needed them) or if you needed the plugin to see it (i.e. everyone needs it in order to see it the way it's intended).

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they are all server side plugins, so we just need Tom to install, not visitors.  I figure let's give everyone another few days to get a chance to play with the wiki, and then we'll start thinking about plugins.

13. #33 / 67
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

i put it in a table box. not much of an improvement...

I like the table box so much that I removed the other stuff.  I also tried adding a long horizontal line in the table to widen it, and get the text centered more in the page.  I dunno if it looks any better though.

14. #34 / 67
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I was thinking how dokuwiki doesn't have talk pages, but then, I figured we could just make a Talk: namespace to simulate talk pages.  Each page at X:Y:Z would have a talk page at Talk:X:Y:Z.  They wouldn't get created by hand.

I like your idea, although it'll be interesting to see how the wiki vs. forums vs. talkpageidea works out.

Me too.  I think the in place comments/notes on the wiki are fine for reminders to add something, or short comments, etc.  Maybe once the wiki settles down more, try to stop using those.

I think the forum is good for big discussions about broad topics, and I think the Talk pages are good for discussion about a particular page.   It allows better record keeping of the process of getting the page to where it is, and a more leisurely pace for conversations. 

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

15. #35 / 67
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I moved the "Talk" to the right end of the link.   I'll try to get a "how to use talk pages" page on the wiki soon.

16. #36 / 67
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

take a look at the sitemap for my Circles of Death. which version of scenarios do you like better?

- in their own level under the main board page (my preference)
    - on the same level, altho with 'scenario--' prepended
    - on the same level with nothing prepended (deleted as I don't feel this should be an option) 

once i get a couple opinions (assuming they agree Wink), I'll update the template with a combo of what i have and M has for Roses.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

17. #37 / 67
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

K, M57. i like the image manipulation, but you've got me stumped. how did you justify some of the images? i figure that the number (eg. 200) is to how large (pixel-size) it will be.

I can see if it's '.png?200 |' it centers, where '.png?200|' it doesn't, but that doesn't hold true to others. for example: where '.png |' allows text to wrap on the right of the image where '.png|' doesn't.

The number adjusts width size - So, if you want to use it as a header and not have it get pushed below the mini page menu, 460 is about tops..

RE: justifying images  - I figured it out looking at OM's markup on his bio..

Here is normal (left justified) - 

{:designer_tutorials:three_layers.png?350|}}

Right Justified - 

{ :designer_tutorials:three_layers.png?350|}}

Centered - 

{ :designer_tutorials:three_layers.png?350 |}}

it's all about putting spaces in the right places.

I still haven't figure out how to center and right justify text, and more specifically, headers.

Edited Mon 12th Aug 06:38 [history]

18. #38 / 67
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

take a look at the sitemap for my Circles of Death. which version of scenarios do you like better?

- in their own level under the main board page (my preference)

I agree with this one.

19. #39 / 67
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i went thru and double checked the board list, they're all there now. i noticed half were done with

[[Boards:Boardname:]]

and the other half were:

[[Boards:Boardname:Boardname]]

question: the first ends up with a result after something is entered of 'boards:boardname:start', is that what we want? either way is fine as they both end up with a subtread in the sitemap, but we should be consistent. choosing to the 'start' option, we'd need to change the few boards that have already been added. if we choose the 'non-start' option we need to add the second 'Boardname' to the links...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

20. #40 / 67
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I like the non-start option better.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)