216 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1234   (4 in total)
  1. #61 / 67
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, I say make changes you think are improvements.  If someone disagrees with someone else's change that's when it's time to bring it to the talk page or forums.

I put a talk page on the Board Review Protocols page because I figured it might be one that needs a lot of discussion.

2. #62 / 67
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I was reading through the WarGear help page for designing boards, as well as the Wiki, and correct me if I'm wrong, but, I think the section on timers in both is written based on old standards.  With the inclusion of auto-neutral then can't timers be created to neutralize them self via this feature instead of by allocated a negative value to kill them via complete abandonment.  As of such, timers should now be able to be created without the necessity of having abandonment turned on which means A LOT for board design and functionality.

3. #63 / 67
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hrm.  Makes sense to me & as you said would be a big deal if we could neutralize territories without having to have abandon on.   I haven't tried out the auto-neutral territories yet.  What happens if you use an auto-neutral-reset factory worth +0 when the board doesn't have abandon on?  Would it still get set to zero?  Has anyone used the auto-neutral factories?

4. #64 / 67
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I did a test and made some auto neutral timing loops and they worked!  Which is great because abandon effects a board so fundamentally that it's good to know that the option for a non-abandon timing option exists.  To make boards unpredictable, it'd be great if there was a random feature for timing loops as well?

5. #65 / 67
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

That's awesome.  I need to recalibrate my thinking (again). 

I think you could do some fairly random stuff as is by having some 'token' territories get allocated randomly, and then have factories whose behavior is different depending on how those territories are owned.  What is a specific example of how you want to do something random & maybe we can brainstorm some solutions.

6. #66 / 67
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I wanted to make a board which would center around the Greek, Macedonian, Persian conflicts with the Greek Gods wrapped into the equation.  The board itself would play like a regular continent cash and grab, but, it would have an extra feature similar to your invention map, although, it would be temples to the Greek Gods and not tech.  Once the temple is captured, however, the God is awaken and Gods are not easily controlled by mere mortals like you and I from our computer keyboards ;-)  So, when first awaken I want the God to do all sorts of things on the board, but, as you capture that God's strength the player would reduce the Gods randomness and be able to control the Gods strength for them self.

That's why I was experimenting with the timer loops, and with such I can make the Gods do stuff, although predictable with such a mechanism as it would be the same from game to game...  It could still work though, for instance the God of seasons could be put on a four territory loop whereby spring would add troops then winter would remove troops (board-wide), but with favour to the owner of the temple which could be enhanced with the more control one had of the God...

Anyway, I have started the art work for the board but the mechanisms for the Gods to work are still mostly just thoughts and experiments so far.

7. #67 / 67
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

An example of where randomness would be neat... Lets say we have a helpful God who was to give vision of the board to the holder of the temple.  This could start off with him showing the temple holder 5 completely random territories on the board, some enemy, some that they already own, the God doesn't care.  Capture the next space along the line, 20 territories start being shown randomly, next space along the line and half the board is revealed, randomly, and finally with the next space along the player would have complete control and the whole board would be revealed to them.  Something like that.

Obviously there is no random function that could work for this, so if it was on a timing loop the 5, 20, half, random territories shown would become predictable from game to game, but the example should at least give you an idea of the concept, as impossible as it may be.

Edited Thu 12th Dec 14:19 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)