218 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 15
    Standard Member zdisabled_fc56b4f4
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I would like to respectfully request the addition of an option to play a sound when a game starts.

IIANM,  no such option currently exists.  (please correct if mistaken.)  There is only the option of playing a sound when it is your turn.

I play many real-time, 2-player games, usually on a fogged map with many territories.  I update the page during my opponent's turn to see from where my opponent launches offensives, and view the possession and strength of territories before they become fogged.  This tactical information is quite valuable, but it is unavailable if the game is first viewed at the end of their turn.

Sometimes games are not joined immediately, so I am not watching the page when the floating dialog box mentions the game has started, for the 15 seconds or so it is up.  Too often I have heard a sound only to find the game is joined and the first player moved.  Many times I have wished I had known the game had begun.

The (simple, I hope) addition of an option to play a sound at game start could be set to off by default and hence not affect any player not desiring it.

I would be most appreciative.  Thank You.

2. #2 / 15
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

+1

3. #3 / 15
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>This tactical information is quite valuable, but it is unavailable if the game is first viewed at the end of their turn.

Not saying a sound alert is not a good idea, but can't you see this info in the history?

4. #4 / 15
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i thought there was a sound option to the GROWLs that you could upload (if premium, IIRC).

EDIT: yup, under "Notifications/Instant Notification Sounds"

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Mon 29th Jul 15:48 [history]

5. #5 / 15
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

>This tactical information is quite valuable, but it is unavailable if the game is first viewed at the end of their turn.

Not saying a sound alert is not a good idea, but can't you see this info in the history?

The issue is mainly for those who play with Fisher clock. Sometimes you are losing too much time watching the history. A few games don't allow watching the history.

6. #6 / 15
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

i thought there was a sound option to the GROWLs that you could upload (if premium, IIRC).

EDIT: yup, under "Notifications/Instant Notification Sounds"

But it's only when it's your turn, not when the game has fillled up.

7. #7 / 15
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

oh. didn't look close enough, thought it was for all RT/RegT notices, not just my turn 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #8 / 15
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Many maps played with any fog setting (including Colossal Crusade, which I play most often) will not let you view the history at all while the game is in play.  The History button is greyed out and unclickable.

9. #9 / 15
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

That's a designer setting.  The map creator can specify if the History is availible or not.

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

10. #10 / 15
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

That's a designer setting.  The map creator can specify if the History is availible or not.

Whether or not some maps have available histories is immaterial to this request.   Other maps don't and the request stands.

11. #11 / 15
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

HangTen wrote:

I update the page during my opponent's turn to see from where my opponent launches offensives, and view the possession and strength of territories before they become fogged.  This tactical information is quite valuable, but it is unavailable if the game is first viewed at the end of their turn.

If you consider the status of available histories to be immaterial, then why did you mention the above in your original post?  I'm not saying that it's not a valid suggestion.  But that's what we do here.  We scrutinize all angles and implications before we wholeheartedly back a request.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Tue 30th Jul 06:26 [history]

12. #12 / 15
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    HangTen wrote:

I update the page during my opponent's turn to see from where my opponent launches offensives, and view the possession and strength of territories before they become fogged.  This tactical information is quite valuable, but it is unavailable if the game is first viewed at the end of their turn.

If you consider the status of available histories to be immaterial, then why did you mention the above in your original post?  I'm not saying that it's not a valid suggestion.  But that's what we do here.  We scrutinize all angles and implications before we wholeheartedly back a request.

Two reasons:

1) Just because SOME maps have available fogged histories doesn't mean the map(s) I play on do, and I am basing my request on the games that *I* play.  And others as well, as evidenced by at least one +1.  Not all options were implemented at the request of, or benefit or usefulness to, all players.  Approving or denying my request just because of maps I never play on, makes about as much sense as deciding whether or not to put a stoplight on my block because they don't need stoplights on Mars.

2) More importantly, read my post again.  I never said a word about game histories on fogged maps in the first place.  What I said was that information gleaned by watching a play in progress is unavailable after the turn is over, which is the case in ALL fogged games.  You misconstrued that to mean having no access to a game history.  I MEANT losing the opportunity to watch the play.  There's a difference.  If you can't see the difference on your own, explaining it would be a waste of time.

13. #13 / 15
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

HangTen wrote:

I would like to respectfully request ...

HangTen wrote:

If you can't see the difference on your own, explaining it would be a waste of time.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

14. #14 / 15
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Seems like a valid request and makes sense how Hang has laid it out, hopefully Tom will take a look, usually he's pretty good at popping the notification things in there quickly.

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

15. #15 / 15
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

"Quickly" is a subjective term.  Just so I know what to expect, what kind of time frame does "quickly" mean to you?

Edited Thu 8th Aug 19:13 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)