219 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 12
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Creating/running this site is a lot of work.  Looking at how many are on the site, I can't imagine that Tom makes a ton of money doing this.

Therefore I've decided to occasionally drop an additional "thank you" to Tom by randomly gifting a premium membership to various people.  This is hardly a major extravagance - $10 is on par with buying a book, a meal at a decent restaurant, parking for a museum, etc - but it is a nice gesture.

I'm not saying this to toot my own horn, but to encourage others to act in the same way.  And in that light, I would suggest that anyone who gives a gift membership for this reason also sends a link to this thread and a request to add a message saying, "Tom was thanked through me."

2. #2 / 12
    Standard Member poloquebec
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Tom was thanked through me

3. #3 / 12
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

btilly wrote:

Creating/running this site is a lot of work.  Looking at how many are on the site, I can't imagine that Tom makes a ton of money doing this.

Therefore I've decided to occasionally drop an additional "thank you" to Tom by randomly gifting a premium membership to various people.  This is hardly a major extravagance - $10 is on par with buying a book, a meal at a decent restaurant, parking for a museum, etc - but it is a nice gesture.

I'm not saying this to toot my own horn, but to encourage others to act in the same way.  And in that light, I would suggest that anyone who gives a gift membership for this reason also sends a link to this thread and a request to add a message saying, "Tom was thanked through me."

I've done a lot of this in the past through paying for friends and family members.  I think in the future I'm going to do more of it with reward tournaments.  Selfishly, as a map maker this provides me with a way to promote my maps (or other underplayed maps), while supporting the site.

Sadly, this will only attract the attention of the forumites.  I wonder if Tom would be willing to have a one-time pop-up for each reward tournament.  When some one logs in they would get a notice that a tournament(s) has started and the winner gets free membership and a link to the tournament(s).  I bet that would get a lot of interest from players and from map-makers.

4. #4 / 12
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:
    btilly wrote:

I've done a lot of this in the past through paying for friends and family members.  I think in the future I'm going to do more of it with reward tournaments.  Selfishly, as a map maker this provides me with a way to promote my maps (or other underplayed maps), while supporting the site.

Sadly, this will only attract the attention of the forumites.  I wonder if Tom would be willing to have a one-time pop-up for each reward tournament.  When some one logs in they would get a notice that a tournament(s) has started and the winner gets free membership and a link to the tournament(s).  I bet that would get a lot of interest from players and from map-makers.

I think that popups are annoying and confusing to people.

But it would be very nice to have the ability to create games and tournaments marked with "M" and a notice that the winner will get 3 months membership.  Doubly so for people like myself who like to be in larger games.

5. #5 / 12
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I like this idea.  You're welcome Midnight Society, and Thanks Tom!

6. #6 / 12
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

btilly wrote:

I think that popups are annoying and confusing to people.

But it would be very nice to have the ability to create games and tournaments marked with "M" and a notice that the winner will get 3 months membership.  Doubly so for people like myself who like to be in larger games.

+1 There are some that think that there are too many game type markers, but I am not among them.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

7. #7 / 12
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Tom was thanked through me.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

8. #8 / 12
    Standard Member falker1976
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

9. #9 / 12
    Standard Member Teamster
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Hey Tom, just popping in to thank you for this great site.

You can’t imagine how many sites I’ve tried before finding this gem. I love to play risk and/or games similar to risk. I’ve found a few sites that seemed alright but there is always some kind of loading issue, especially during live games, or an overcomplicated interface that just doesn’t facilitate game-play.

I think it’s great that you allow for a one month premium membership trial so that one can get to experience all the features the site has to offer. I was happy enough to continue being a standard member on this site but M57 sent me a message a couple of hours ago telling me he had given me a 3-month premium membership. It’s just something he does to support the site he said.

So thank you creating this site and for keeping it running smoothly, thanks for all your work and a big thanks to all of you guys who contribute with your board designs. {#emotions_dlg.clap}

3-month Premium Membership!  {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}  Yippyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!   {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

10. #10 / 12
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm quite sure that the likes of tbilly, poloquebec, falconer1976, are not looking for recognition for their support. ..and I certianly wasn't angling for a public thank you..

I would just point out that though you might be limelight adverse, Posting your "Tom was thanked through me" here is just good idea because it is a model and reminder for others who might be so inclined to support the site in similar fashion.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Tue 30th Jul 09:57 [history]

11. #11 / 12
    Premium Member IRsmart
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Teamster wrote:

Hey Tom, just popping in to thank you for this great site.

You can’t imagine how many sites I’ve tried before finding this gem. I love to play risk and/or games similar to risk. I’ve found a few sites that seemed alright but there is always some kind of loading issue, especially during live games, or an overcomplicated interface that just doesn’t facilitate game-play.

I think it’s great that you allow for a one month premium membership trial so that one can get to experience all the features the site has to offer. I was happy enough to continue being a standard member on this site but M57 sent me a message a couple of hours ago telling me he had given me a 3-month premium membership. It’s just something he does to support the site he said.

So thank you creating this site and for keeping it running smoothly, thanks for all your work and a big thanks to all of you guys who contribute with your board designs. 

+1

here here! well said!

12. #12 / 12
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Lots of great years of fun here! {#emotions_dlg.clap}  

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)