201 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 25
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm helping a new map maker put together their first map, but we can't seem to get the custom fog to work.  It seems like it still has the old fog map up, even though Kav has uploaded a new one.

Here is the board:

http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/4699

On the design tab if you pull the sliders to the left you can see the fog map Kav has uploaded.  Kav claims to have:

* Unlocked all the locks for the scenario.

* Uploaded the new fog image for both scenarios as well as the main board.

As far as I can tell & from what I remember everything should be working but is not.  I was hoping someone can remember something I forgot to do, or maybe Tom can verify that Kav has done everything correctly.

Thanks!

2. #2 / 25
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Is he sure that he's uploading a png image?  Sometimes I forget to convert the image from my editor, or add the .png tag.  When you upload a non-working image, you don't always get an error message, at least not when you use a Mac.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

3. #3 / 25
    Private Kav Kav is offline now
    Standard Member Kav
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yes, it is PNG image.

4. #4 / 25
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Are you saving the board after each upload?

I've had problems uploading a few images and forgetting to save...

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

5. #5 / 25
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i've had a similar issue in the past. i had to load a completely different file in (i used a blank from another board i created), save it, reload the original.

and this had to be done for all images.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

6. #6 / 25
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Not seeing it in both the Flash and Native Players?

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

7. #7 / 25
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yep, not seeing it in flash or native.

>Are you saving the board after each upload?

This is a good point.  Maybe Kav needs to do this.

It's weird, because I can see that the image has been uploaded successfully, because by bringing the two sliders down on the design page you do see the correct fog image.  But I'm not sure how wargear handles all this.  Does it save every image ever uploaded, and just have the board point to a specific image, or does each board just have a single slot for each type of image, and it gets replaced when you upload a new one.

If it's the previous system, maybe the image has uploaded and shows up on the design page, but the map is still pointing to the old one.

>i've had a similar issue in the past. i had to load a completely different file in (i used a blank from another board i created), save it, reload the original.

WT - I'm not sure what you mean by that.  You basically created a blank fog image, uploaded that, then uploaded the one you really wanted?

FYI - I also think I've see the correct flash image flash briefly when the player loads.

Edited Tue 19th Mar 13:50 [history]

8. #8 / 25
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

For a sanity check (my sanity), if you try a non-White Fill Layer does it still not work?

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

9. #9 / 25
    Standard Member Kav
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

>Are you saving the board after each upload?

Yes, i did that.

Will check on other things you suggested Ozyman.

Thanks guys!

10. #10 / 25
    Standard Member Kav
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I tried Complete White Fog Image and that worked. Tried putting back Original Fog Image, and that still did not work.

11. #11 / 25
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

sanity check - In foggy areas is the transparent board image laid on top of the fog image?  I thought not, but want to make sure.

12. #12 / 25
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The board image is the Top image.. It covers EVERYTHING including player colors and unit counts.

13. #13 / 25
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm working on a map.  The Fog layer was working fine, but all of a sudden the fog map doesn't seem to be working in that it doesn't seem to come through at the fill map borders. I haven't changed the fog layer in days.

http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/2533

I'm beginning to think that something is wonky.

14. #14 / 25
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Has anyone tried to change the Fill Map Image to a color other than White to see if that affects anything?

15. #15 / 25
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

Has anyone tried to change the Fill Map Image to a color other than White to see if that affects anything?

will do..  Have to figure how to do it easily -- I don't know how to use masks  ..yet.

16. #16 / 25
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

Is another solid color ok, or do you want a mix of colors.

17. #17 / 25
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Just another solid color.  For some reason I have it nagging in my head that there has been something wonky with the White color in the past...although it also just sounds crazy as I can't find anything in the forums on it :P

18. #18 / 25
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think maybe the problem is that the foggy fog doesn't look different enough from plain white, once the 'transparent' board layer is layered on top.  So it actually is working, but you just can't tell because the board layer on top obscures any difference in the fog.

I'm not sure what to do about it.  Maybe make the transparent areas over the territories more transparent...

19. #19 / 25
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

Just another solid color.  For some reason I have it nagging in my head that there has been something wonky with the White color in the past...although it also just sounds crazy as I can't find anything in the forums on it :P

I have been playing with the fill map color, and changing it makes a huge difference, and not necessarily for the better.. Making it Blue gives the fill areas a blueish tinge.  The map I'm working on has a board image that includes semi-transparency over the fills, and my solution has been to pick a color that matches the board.  Luckily, the board I'm working on has a monochrome quality to it, so it's easy for me to pick a color that works.

All in all, very strange.  It shouldn't be happening at all.

20. #20 / 25
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

As a sanity check (to prevent any caching issues either server-side or at the browser it's worth creating a new board and importing the images and checking if you see the same problem - if so, it's not related to caching anywhere.

In terms of how the fill process works for dual layer - the fill map just needs to be any uniform color. I suppose you could try RGB 255 255 254 to be absolutely sure it is not a white issue and this would be indistinguishable from actual white visually.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)