219 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 12
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I asked Amidon37 today for an update to Hex that would take a huge amount of repetitive data entry.  If there was some sort of well designed format for a board, he could take a board, export it, I could write a program to add the repetitive stuff, and he could import that again.

Does any sort of export/import facility like that exist?

2. #2 / 12
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I was thinking about the same thing, though I haven't contacted A. -- I've been considering making a diced version of Hex. Could we be overlapping?

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

3. #3 / 12
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

I was thinking about the same thing, though I haven't contacted A. -- I've been considering making a diced version of Hex. Could we be overlapping?

Nope.

My top annoyance with the board is that I forget to end my turn.  I suggested a way to achieve the victory condition with factories and no fortify phase, which would make play smoother.  However it would require making over 2000 continents.

Another way to smooth play out would be to have the game engine automatically skip your fortify phase if no fortifying is possible.  But that seems less generally useful than a board export/import feature.

4. #4 / 12
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I know how to export/import board files.  It's the changing them on my own (creating and inserting generated text) that I am short on.

Edited Tue 12th Mar 11:52 [history]

5. #5 / 12
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

I know how to export/import board files.  It's the changing them on my own (creating and inserting generated text) that I am short on.

Is the board file in a text format?

If so, if you can upload a board and mark out the territories, and add a couple of factories by hand then export and mail me at [email protected], I may be able to crease/insert generated text.

6. #6 / 12
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, you can import/export from the design page.  You just right-click on the 'actions' arrow.  If it's a scenario you do it from the scenario page & import/export have their own columns.

It's in an XML format. 

If you are interested I have a couple of thousands lines of python code that I use to manipulate the XML, and I would be happy to share. 

I've also built a web front end to a small subset of the python code that I am calling the 'Wargear Advanced Map Editor'.  You can find a sticky link in the map makers forum.

You can also do quite a bit with just copy & paste, and/or sed or emacs or something with regexs.

7. #7 / 12
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

When I have thousands of lines of board/continents - I use excel.  It's not as slick as ozy's advanced editor, but it gets the job done.

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

8. #8 / 12
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Slick - I love Excel. 

How do you get the Excel data into the xml file?

9. #9 / 12
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

concatenate - copy/paste into dreamweaver

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

10. #10 / 12
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Not familiar with Dreamweaver - Google search tells me it costs $$.  Anyone got a free alternative?

11. #11 / 12
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ultraedit is where i cut and paste mine into. it's got a neat 'column' mode that helps me keep things lined up (a bit more manual work adding in the spaces so cut and paste works correctly - but worth it).

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

12. #12 / 12
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Word has a pretty flexible search and replace tool that I have been using.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)