216 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 17
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I would like to be able to have a scenario where a player will pay bonus to have a territory be able to place units.

In my AA world map board, there are only a few territories that allow placement of units.  These territories have factory icons (not the same as the WG engine factory).  I would like a player to be able to pay 15 bonus to place a factory on any other territory that would enable that territory to have units placed on it.

The best I can come up with so far is to have a neutral territory that has placement enabled and set the bonus value to -2.  Then someone can take the territory and be able to place units.  They will be 'paying'' 2 bonus point per turn.  Which is sort  of a payment plan for the 15 bonus point cost.  i would prefer to have the player pay 15 up front to enable placement on a territory.  

Any ideas?  Ideally some setup where you can place 15 units on a territory you own, have the units disappear and change the territory to enable unit placement.

2. #2 / 17
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Do you have abandon on with revert to neutral?

If so, how about a neutral territory with placement and two off map territories, a penalty territory and an off switch territory. The placement territory auto captures the penalty territory which has a -15 bonus. The penalty territory then auto captures the off switch territory. The off switch territory lowers the penalty territory to 0 thereby reverting it to neutral and taking away the -15 bonus. The off switch factory would have to take place after the auto capture of the penalty territory otherwise you would get a -15 bonus again when it got recaptured.

The problem is that you would be able to place units in the placement territory the turn before the penalty.

3. #3 / 17
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

You could have a unfathomable amount of neutrals in a spot, and then a trigger factory somewhere else that gets rid of them, allowing you to take the territory -  (or an auto-capture factory where  the territory has one-way borders off it only and placement is enabled)

Or, in A&A, make a side territory (worth -15) and give it fortify only borders to every territory (kinda like the idea you have but it allows placement anywhere).

Or you could have a dormant factory (with a neutral unit count to start) - and make it worth -15 but have placement enabled.  Same idea as the -2 bonus (you mentioned above) but it gives you another place to place your units and you have to pay for it. 

-I can't see a way to enable placement on any territory and then restrict placement to just that one...   maybe there is some kind of code that can change a territories properties in the map.  Ozyman might know.

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

4. #4 / 17
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Not much help, but here are my thoughts -

Unit placement is not toggable during a game, so you would have to do something with an extra territory.  Maybe you could get access to an off the board territory that had fortifying to the "purchased" territory? 

Factories bonuses/behavior are not based on the number of units on a territory.  Nygma asked for that a while ago, but I doubt we will see it any time soon.  Without something like that, I can't think of a way for something to happen with 15 units that wouldn't happen with 14 units.  I've thought about similar things before and have gotten nowhere.

5. #5 / 17
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Now that I thought about it a little more, I realized my initial idea was needlessly complicated. All you would need is two territories, the placement territory and a bonus territory. The placement territory would have a continent bonus of -15 and would autocapture the bonus territory. The bonus territory and the placement territory together would have a continent bonus of +15.

6. #6 / 17
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yep. There you go Squint...

7. #7 / 17
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Can you post a link to the board here?

8. #8 / 17
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hey Korrum, thx.  I came up with an altenate solution that I am now using.  I start with the new 'factory' territory which is neutral and has 15 units.  Then there is an attack only border with attack and defend both set to 100%.  So, when one attacks with 16 units, you will defeat the 15 in the 'factory' territory and lose 15 of your own.  You are left with 1 units in your newly acquired territory, effectively having 'paid' 15 bonus to 'build' the factory.

Here is the first game I am using it:

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/227075

9. #9 / 17
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Squint, since the territory is a max-8 unit territory, even though you overstocked to 15 neutrals to begin, it will take 2-3 turns attacking 8 at a time for Britain to take it...methinks.  If that's the case, you might be better off placing 12 neutrals there or upping the max-unit-count to 10 or more.

10. #10 / 17
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ahh, thx Thingol, I did not consider you will not be able to attack 16 at once....thats a big complication...I still want to pay 15, and still want the max to be only 8....not sure what to do, dang...the whole point is that is UK wants another factory they will want it on the first round.

11. #11 / 17
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Does setting with this Rule work? (I'm not sure I've seen this Rule utilized too much, so not entirely sure if it would help this use case.)

Allow order overloading (Available only with SimulGear setting) On/Off If turned On, then territories with a unit maximum can be attacked from a single territory by more than the unit maximum. If turned Off, then territories with a unit maximum can only be attacked from a single territory by the unit maximum.

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

12. #12 / 17
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

What does that one default to?

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

13. #13 / 17
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

What does that one default to?

Off.

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

14. #14 / 17
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

That sounds like a good idea Yertle, it will apply to the whole board, but the extra 'factory' territories are the only ones with maximums.  I will give it a try!

15. #15 / 17
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Squint - that sounds like a cool set-up.  Hope it works for you. 

16. #16 / 17
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thx Amidon, and thank you everyone else, I have a game running with the board now so I will soon see if there are any glitches.

17. #17 / 17
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Squint - that sounds like a cool set-up.  Hope it works for you. 

+1

Fortune favors the bold, and chance favors the prepared mind...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)