2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 14
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Just wandering how many of you map-makers/designers (or even potential map-maker/designers) are sitting on boards that you've started  ..or even ideas that you haven't started -- and possibly include why they're still sitting in mothballs.

I can say that in my case, I'm sitting on a few boards that are all but complete but for designer features I hope we'll see someday in the future.  I made them knowing full well they aren't currently supported ..as kind of a proof of concept.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

2. #2 / 14
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M, what is the point of the thread? To light a fire under Tom? As if he wasn't busy enough?

3. #3 / 14
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm currently sitting on five reasonably complete boards.

Two are completely ready for release, and I haven't only because I worry the gameplay will be stalemate-prone and hence boring; in addition, one of them has a slightly difficult-to-decipher graphical distinction for continents that I haven't figured out how to satisfactorily resolve.

One is in play-testing, so I guess doesn't quite count. I find play-testing to be a slow process, as I get tired of playing the boards so I take breaks.

One needs a large number of factory bonuses added, and I don't feel like doing it by hand so I'm waiting until Ozy releases a script for it =)

And the last needs some graphics work and gameplay re-working and play-testing and is overall just a lot of work away from release. And I just haven't felt like putting in that work. I also have another handful of partial ideas waiting in the wings, but those mostly lack the graphics right now (that's the slowest part of the process for me in some ways, and the most likely reason a board will get bogged down).

Edited Fri 19th Oct 22:42 [history]

4. #4 / 14
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm sitting on my Qwerty board until border-specific viewing modifiers are available.  I think you got a chance to test that one, M.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

5. #5 / 14
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've got a couple ideas that I'd like to do, but I haven't had time, mostly because I've been trying to get a map done for each competition.  I also have a couple ideas I've had and are basically waiting on per territory minimums and random capitals, but I'm waiting patiently because I also have a few ideas that I'm still working on and can be completed with the current feature set.

I find play-testing to be a slow process, as I get tired of playing the boards so I take breaks.

I completely agree with this.  Sometimes I have to make a simple board just because the play-testing is so much faster/simpler.

One needs a large number of factory bonuses added, and I don't feel like doing it by hand so I'm waiting until Ozy releases a script for it =)

I'm kind of glad that you are waiting on this, because it gives me more incentive to get it done.  I just need a couple of hours to put it all together.  Maybe this weekend.

Edited Sat 20th Oct 00:57 [history]

6. #6 / 14
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote: M, what is the point of the thread? To light a fire under Tom? As if he wasn't busy enough?

Yes, and no..

Tom lights his own fires.

Tom is asking about priorities going forward now that the native player is up and running.  It only benefits Tom if he has a better sense of the wants and needs of designers, who by the way, represent a small minority of the WarGear community.  Moreover, there are only a handful of us that push the edge of designer's capabilities and have vision for future capabilities, and these are important for the success of the site.

It occurred to me that the number of hanging designs (coupled with the reasons they're in limbo) might be a gauge that helps us all get a handle on things. If there only a few designs out there hanging for lack of designer support, I suspect Tom might feel much less of a sense of urgency to work on that aspect of the site.I have outlined 5 or 10 features that I would like to see in the designer.  Some are much more important to me than others because I have outstanding designs that require them.  Some of them are simple toggles for things like " elimination by last territory OR unit" (Actually, I haven't asked for that one until just now), while others are game changers, like Movement Count, which would be much more involved and time consuming to integrate into the designer, and that's why I have a number of boards outstanding for proof of concept of that particular feature.

I am happy with the site right now; if I wasn't, I wouldn't be playing and designing.  I'm perfectly happy to wait for features I want, and I realize that some will never see the light of day. 

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.

7. #7 / 14
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I agree with M.  The sheer number and variety of Designer tweaks/mods possible might give Tom a fuzzy picture of what the highest priority is.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

8. #8 / 14
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Just wandering ..

While it's likely I was 'wandering,' I meant to say 'wondering.'   :^}

Edited Sat 20th Oct 09:02 [history]

9. #9 / 14
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I have 4 or 5 boards I'm working on in the few minutes a week I have time..  Including a WW2 board based on my Civil War design and another board that's way bigger than it should be but I like it anyway..

10. #10 / 14
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I got like 15 boards/ideas that have all stalled for one reason or another.  Mostly that they need some work, and I haven't put the time in or solved the problem/s. 

Some of them are good and ready to go, like "Balance", but just need some communication clearing up... others I'm saving for the right time (for the competitions and all) and some require more playtesting to get it right: Biomes

It's a process for sure. 

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

11. #11 / 14
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Thanks M for the expound. Viper, always looking forward to a new WW2 game. ;)

12. #12 / 14
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Maybe a Board Designer's development priority list would be a good idea as well?

13. #13 / 14
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yes. How might we/you go about doing that?

14. #14 / 14
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

A new forum thread would work Smile

Edited Wed 31st Oct 08:01 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)