219 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 26
    Standard Member rqrqrq
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

It would be nice if we could set whether or not to view the history in a fog game after the game is over. Does this require the designer to re-release the board with a different setting? Specifically Colossal Crusade.

2. #2 / 26
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

On that board game history is set to Hide so this means history is not visible even after the game ends. It's an option set by the board designer.

3. #3 / 26
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

On that board game history is set to Hide so this means history is not visible even after the game ends. It's an option set by the board designer.

I have always been curious.  Why is this an option?  Once the game is over, players should be able to go back and do a post-mortem.  Also, it makes it harder to catch cheaters because it makes it that much harder to even suspect that someone was cheating.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

4. #4 / 26
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    tom wrote:

I have always been curious.  Why is this an option?  Once the game is over, players should be able to go back and do a post-mortem.  Also, it makes it harder to catch cheaters because it makes it that much harder to even suspect that someone was cheating.

Fully agreed.

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

5. #5 / 26
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

didn't realize fog settings stayed after game was over...thought as soon as game was complete all fog was removed in order to view game.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

6. #6 / 26
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

didn't realize fog settings stayed after game was over...thought as soon as game was complete all fog was removed in order to view game.

It's not a matter of fog. The problem is hidden history.

7. #7 / 26
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I thought I use to be able to view the Arm Wrestle histories after the game. It has hidden history. So, perhaps this is a new development. Bad memory is another possibility.

8. #8 / 26
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

It's used for boards where giving the other player your strategy would eliminate your advantage. I think Arm Wrestle is a great example where you would want to keep history hidden... not so much on Colossal Crusade.

9. #9 / 26
    Standard Member rqrqrq
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Actually, I am unable to view the history for a no fog game.

10. #10 / 26
    Standard Member rqrqrq
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Actually, I am unable to view the history for a no fog game.

11. #11 / 26
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Which game? Some boards have history viewing disabled.

12. #12 / 26
    Standard Member rqrqrq
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Ah, looks like Colossal Crusade doesn't allow history, I must have been mistaken. Is my next step to contact Yertle to ask him to re-release it with the option for viewing history?

13. #13 / 26
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

It's used for boards where giving the other player your strategy would eliminate your advantage. I think Arm Wrestle is a great example where you would want to keep history hidden... not so much on Colossal Crusade.

I always though the point was to hide the information within the game, not to hide strategies after games end. There's plenty of reason to like hidden history in a fogged Colossal Crusade game. (My guess is that most board designers have the game play in mind, not the postgame strategy-gathering.)

I don't know if this is well known, but hidden history isn't fully enforced. If you hit the refresh button while someone is taking a turn, you can see their turn, negating hidden history. (This is only practical in a small real time duel, as often happens with Arm Wrestle.)

14. #14 / 26
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I wonder if Yertle intended for his CC games to be non-reviewable.  My guess is not.  I may have clicked on hide history in Assassin thinking that people could otherwise check out what was going on mid-game.  (I'll have to check to see if I did this).  My intention was not to prohibit postmortems.  I really don't see a good reason for this feature and I can think of a number of reasons it shouldn't be a feature.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.

15. #15 / 26
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:
    tom wrote:

I always though the point was to hide the information within the game, not to hide strategies after games end. There's plenty of reason to like hidden history in a fogged Colossal Crusade game. (My guess is that most board designers have the game play in mind, not the postgame strategy-gathering.)

I don't know if this is well known, but hidden history isn't fully enforced. If you hit the refresh button while someone is taking a turn, you can see their turn, negating hidden history. (This is only practical in a small real time duel, as often happens with Arm Wrestle.)

Yes and it's also the case when there are more players in a non RT game. You easily get a sneak look at the board after someone played but before it's your turn.

16. #16 / 26
    Standard Member rqrqrq
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I second you M57.

17. #17 / 26
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I thought History was opened up after the game has ended... or at least I'm fairly certain that's how it used to function...

18. #18 / 26
    Standard Member rqrqrq
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Ah, I see. It works after the game is over. 

It would be nice to be able to see the history during a light or medium fog game. If your troops were able to see the attack while you are not at the computer that data seems like it should be accessible. 

More importantly to me, I'd really like to have the post-game history decoupled from the fog setting. I mostly play against friends, and one of the best parts is talking (constructively or not) about how we played a good game. Can't do that when we can't show each other how we played. "Oh man! I had Europe the whole time and all you had to do was bust that one neutral to get in, ahaha." Or whatever. 

I don't have a concept of how Wargear's backend works, is this something that could be done?

19. #19 / 26
    Standard Member Knosken
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I would like a feature that makes you able to see the history of a fog-game out of a particular players perspective. For an example, I choose to see how the game was developing out of Toto's view. When I look at the history, I can then see exactly what he saw but nothing more.

That would be really fun and interesting, in particular when viewing the game out of your "neighbours" perspective

20. #20 / 26
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Knosken wrote:

I would like a feature that makes you able to see the history of a fog-game out of a particular players perspective.

+1

The default should be no fog.  From there, maybe if the history viewer had radio buttons (one for each player) to change the view to that player's perspective.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)