2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 29
    Standard Member limburg
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Hy,

I was playing a 1 on 1 game with a 1 minut time turn.. Just when i was about to kill the last 3 units of player Wael and win the game. I receive the message the game is no longer live.

I thought i had won but in the history it says player Wael won the game which is completly impossible.

Can some1 explain this to me pleace?

regards

Limburg

2. #2 / 29
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/160592

Move 278 you had a turn skipped. This is because your timer went down to 0. The next turn your timer also went down to 0. Two consecutive skipped turns is a boot. The timer on that game was 1 minute to start with 1 minute added per turn. This is a very fast time control, so you have to move very fast to avoid being booted.

(I can't remember whether the community discussed this situation before, but it seems like just skipping a started turn in a timed game like this shouldn't count towards a boot. The turn cutoff is punishment enough for running out of time.)

Edited Fri 15th Jun 13:36 [history]

3. #3 / 29
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

It looks like you were booted because you ran out of time. At only 1 minute per turn this is very possible.

4. #4 / 29
    Standard Member limburg
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

so even if am playing my turn and the timer goes down, the game says i skipped a turn and boots me?

I never skipped one :s..

5. #5 / 29
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

What Hugh is saying is that currently if you don't click on "end turn" (or an equivalent action like doing your reinforce move) by the time the timer ends it counts as a skip.  This is even if you did start your turn, but ran out of time in the middle (which is what happened in this case.)

6. #6 / 29
    Standard Member limburg
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Ah ok thnx,

wish i would have known that ^^

7. #7 / 29
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:

(I can't remember whether the community discussed this situation before, but it seems like just skipping a started turn in a timed game like this shouldn't count towards a boot. The turn cutoff is punishment enough for running out of time.)

I just wish to come back on what Hugh said, as I think it's an important issue as RT games are getting more and more popular. I fully agree with Hugh : you should not get skipped/booted if you have started playing in RT games. It was discussed in the past http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2111/Fisher_Clock_questions

but nothing was done. The card issue was raised too.

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth
    Edited Fri 15th Jun 15:53 [history]

8. #8 / 29
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

not necessarily true. easily abuse-able by entering your turn and not doing anything...
    there should be a max time limit of how long you can be 'in turn' just not sure that we've got that figured out yet with the current settings. or at least i'm not entirely sure what the 3 different settings are for.

OR more simple answer.

IF you've entered your turn and time runs out the last good command is accepted as the last move, end of turn and move on. at least that way you don't lose what you've actually done.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Fri 15th Jun 16:14 [history]

9. #9 / 29
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

IF you've entered your turn and time runs out the last good command is accepted as the last move, end of turn and move on. at least that way you don't lose what you've actually done.

Can't remember if this has been suggested or not previously, but it seems fair to me.

AND/OR

How about if there was a "Panic Button"? It would automatically add the "Delay Time" value to the clock ..up to the "Clock Limit".

The game creator sets a fixed number of Panics allowed.  Default = 0

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Fri 15th Jun 16:25 [history]

10. #10 / 29
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

OR more simple answer.

Right - this is what I had in mind. You're in the middle of your turn, your timer expires, the turn gets cut off, and that triggers an "end of turn". Some action would be required - not just entering the flash player.

Actually, I'm not sure why I'm defending this position since it's counter to the usual consequence of timing out in a blitz game - automatic loss. It's way more in the spirit of blitzy play to make players watch the clock carefully and play the clock so that _they_ initiate the end turn "prematurely".

11. #11 / 29
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I like the idea of a panic button, but I prefer keeping things the ways they are, the time limit is the time limit.  You know this going in and have to adjust accordingly. 

Initially, the reason for RT games are to get a game done in a reasonable amount of time.  As we play RT games more we will notice that there will be players who will specialize in 'speed games', just like in speed chess.  The skill niche is playing fast, so we shouldn't take that away from players who want to specialize in that, it adds another dimension to the games.  So that would mean no panic button, no mulligans.

12. #12 / 29
    Standard Member Vidoviti Milan
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

playing 1 min. turns is just ludicrous, I can't even load game page for about 10 sec. after I notice it's my turn. That means you can lose game no matter how fast you are.

Another thing that irritates me are the games of 16 players 1.min. turn called "lottery". Winner gets a huge points because 14 of them do not play at all or offline and 1 is too slow. total nonsense!

13. #13 / 29
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Vidoviti Milan wrote:

playing 1 min. turns is just ludicrous, I can't even load game page for about 10 sec. after I notice it's my turn. That means you can lose game no matter how fast you are.

I successfully played one of these 1 minute starting time / 1 minute increment games because it had an unlimited clock. In spite of the load game page delays (for me, more like 3-5 seconds), I saw my clock increase significantly. The server does play a small role. But, I found it to be plenty of time.

Of course, it's not for everyone, and you could still get a nice blitz experience with something like 3 minutes initial and 2 minute increment on a small board.

(Disclaimer: Hugh is addicted to 3/0 blitz chess games, which is too slow for the 1/0 addicts. So, his perspective might be a bit warped.)

Edited Fri 15th Jun 21:34 [history]

14. #14 / 29
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

OR more simple answer.

Right - this is what I had in mind. You're in the middle of your turn, your timer expires, the turn gets cut off, and that triggers an "end of turn". Some action would be required - not just entering the flash player.

Same, this is what I had in mind too.

15. #15 / 29
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:

Actually, I'm not sure why I'm defending this position since it's counter to the usual consequence of timing out in a blitz game - automatic loss. It's way more in the spirit of blitzy play to make players watch the clock carefully and play the clock so that _they_ initiate the end turn "prematurely".

I would also be OK for that, but only if you could see the clock while playing. Now, when you enter your turn with 3 minutes left, you have no idea if you still have 1 minute, or 5 seconds to end turn.

PS. I don't know how to quote someone but split it in two parts so that I can answer to both parts in the middle. Who can tell me ?

Edited Sat 16th Jun 04:35 [history]

16. #16 / 29
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Toto wrote:

PS. I don't know how to quote someone but split it in two parts so that I can answer to both parts in the middle. Who can tell me ?

Use the (") button to quote or unquote a highlighted area.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

17. #17 / 29
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Toto wrote:

"Use the (") button to quote or unquote a highlighted area."

I must be stupid, sorry, but I don't get it. As above, all is still quoted. I want to get a black area in the middle of your comment to add my comment in the middle.

Edited Sat 16th Jun 06:41 [history]

18. #18 / 29
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Toto wrote: 

I would also be OK for that, but only if you could see the clock while playing. Now, when you enter your turn with 3 minutes left, you have no idea if you still have 1 minute, or 5 seconds to end turn.

No, you can actually see the clock counting down, second by second, in the player information box at the bottom. At least, that's what I'm seeing.

Toto wrote: 

I also never learned how to do this. I figured clicking on the html button and inserting the <blockquote></blockquote> where it's needed is faster than learning some fancy new trick ;)

19. #19 / 29
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Like M57 said: at the top of the "Quick Reply" box where you're writing your response, there are a bunch of icons.  One is a "B" and it makes what you're writing bold...then italics, then underline, etc.  About the 6th in line is one that is a set of quotes.

So when you want to reply to multiple questions in someone's post:  Press "Quote Post" to get the entirety of their post in your reply.  Go to the middle of the quote where you want to respond, type your response, then highlight it, and click the quotes icon.  That will make that line (your words in the middle of theirs) no longer part of the quotation.  You can use that button to do magical things....

Hugh wrote:

The only player on Wargear that I'm truly afraid of is BorisTheFrugal.  He's also the most physically attractive player on the site.

Edited Sat 16th Jun 23:36 [history]

20. #20 / 29
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Toto wrote:

The clock should be continuously updated in the player info bar (below the board image). Does this not work for you?

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)