1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 29
    Premium Member Genghis Jhon
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Hi,

Did anybody notice my update to the "two scroll bars in continent box for large maps such as hexgear" thread?

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1923/two_scroll_bars_in_continent_box_for_large_maps_such_as_hexgear

The behavior has changed since I reported this problem, but the core issue of proper display of maps with large numbers of continents appears to still be broken.

Is this being looked at, or did my posting fall in a crack?

Thanks

John

2. #2 / 29
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

The current plan is that there won't be any more updates to the old Flash player as it will be replaced quite soon by a native player that won't need Flash.

3. #3 / 29
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

No rush, of course, just looking forward to the release:  Do you have an ETA on that new player?  1, 3, 6, 12 months out?

4. #4 / 29
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

It was originally going to go into Beta testing last week, then I decided to add some new features. Around 1-2 weeks to Beta all being well.

5. #5 / 29
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Who beta tests for you?  I would be a good beta tester.  I like beta testing.

6. #6 / 29
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I'll raise my hand to beta test the player as well.

7. #7 / 29
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

All volunteers most definitely welcome. Except Yertle because he finds way too many bugs ;)

8. #8 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

All volunteers most definitely welcome. Except Yertle because he finds way too many bugs ;)

Hey!  I've eased off recently :)  That said...I'd be interested in finding some new bugs!

*yawn* *stretch* time to wake up..

9. #9 / 29
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

You have been suspiciously quiet of late {#emotions_dlg.suspicious}

10. #10 / 29
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

You have been suspiciously quiet of late {#emotions_dlg.suspicious}

I've been working on a super secret project, GearFish...just kidding, I wouldn't do that, although some people do Smile

*yawn* *stretch* time to wake up..

11. #11 / 29
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Count me in please!

12. #12 / 29
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Native player? What're you using, HTML5? I'm betting in a few years we see as many, if not more security issues with HTML5 as we do right now with Java and Flash. On the other hand, I expect Adobe to get a handle on their SDLC within the next year or so, and significantly reduce the number of new vulnerabilities that are regularly found. (I do computer forensics for a living) Is the intent behind the new native player to get away from the security issues with flash, or is it just to enable features that are more problematic in that environment?

13. #13 / 29
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Genghis Jhon wrote:

Native player? What're you using, HTML5? I'm betting in a few years we see as many, if not more security issues with HTML5 as we do right now with Java and Flash. On the other hand, I expect Adobe to get a handle on their SDLC within the next year or so, and significantly reduce the number of new vulnerabilities that are regularly found. (I do computer forensics for a living) Is the intent behind the new native player to get away from the security issues with flash, or is it just to enable features that are more problematic in that environment?

I'll take this one.. Because it's all about me, there's no doubt in my mind that tom is doing it so I can play on my iPad.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

14. #14 / 29
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Genghis Jhon wrote:

It won't actually use HTML5, it's SVG + RaphelJS based. As such it should even support older browsers (back to IE6).

The main reason is to have a single Player which works on every platform, PC / Mac / iPhone / iPad / Android / Blackberry. The future of gaming is moving towards mobile tech and Adobe have signaled that they will shortly cease developing the Flash player for mobile devices (really this affects only Android). So Flash in the short term is a dead platform on mobile and in the medium term is a dead platform on the desktop as HTML5 develops.

As a side benefit it will be a lot easier to maintain and add new features as the old Flash version is quite painful to update.

[Edit] I was playing a game on my iPad last night - it really does feel a natural way to play Smile

Edited Mon 12th Mar 11:12 [history]

15. #15 / 29
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I was playing a game on my iPad last night - it really does feel a natural way to play 

Just think of what an iOS WarGear app would do for visibility!

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    Edited Mon 12th Mar 11:42 [history]

16. #16 / 29
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    I was playing a game on my iPad last night - it really does feel a natural way to play 

Just think of what an iOS WarGear app would do for visibility!

500,000 iOS Apps out there - it's a huge challenge to get visibility.

17. #17 / 29
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yeah - I don't know what the ratios are, but there's a lot of junk, unrated apps, and dedicated apps (like for schools, businesses, closed communities, etc. )

Done right, it's a natural ..it sounds like you have already discovered that play translates well to the iPad. The community will start rating it, and once it's in that 4-5 star range, it'll get noticed.   Start it at free, or better at 0.99 cents so that people are invested in liking it.

Edited Mon 12th Mar 17:53 [history]

18. #18 / 29
    Premium Member Snake Eyes
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Yeah - I don't know what the ratios are, but there's a lot of junk, unrated apps, and dedicated apps (like for schools, businesses, closed communities, etc. )

Done right, it's a natural ..it sounds like you have already discovered that play translates well to the iPad. The community will start rating it, and once it's in that 4-5 star range, it'll get noticed.   Start it at free, or better at 0.99 cents so that people are invested in liking it.

Sadly, there are a lot of things that you can sell for $1-5 that you simply can't give away.  As soon as you put that price on the same free item, people line up to get it.

19. #19 / 29
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i for one haven't ever paid (and probably won't) for an app - tho if i pay for membership then i aught to get the app for free.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

20. #20 / 29
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

i for one haven't ever paid (and probably won't) for an app - tho if i pay for membership then i aught to get the app for free.

I've spent more on apps than the value of the iPad.  But I have to say I get my money's worth.  It literally replaces thousands of dollars worth of hardware for me.   Examples include..

Mixing board with moving faders in my recording studio.  There's $1000 piece of hardware right there.  $50 app.

Professional piano tuning app.. $300.   I haven't paid a piano tuner in over 2 years now ..and my piano is ALWAYS in tune.  I tweak it weekly.  .. At $125 a pop for a RL tuner, times 3-5 visits a year ..do the math.

Not to mention the apps I use as an educator. 

Yeah, there are a lot of decent free apps out there.. true, there's crap that costs money.. But there's stuff out there that's a game changer for me and I don't mind spending the money if it makes my life more enjoyable and my work more efficient.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)