Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 29
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Snake Eyes wrote

Sadly, there are a lot of things that you can sell for $1-5 that you simply can't give away.  As soon as you put that price on the same free item, people line up to get it.

So true.. I worked in retail for a small botique-y audio store for a few years, and some things just wouldn't sell unless you made them more expensive than a competitive product.  It's all about perception.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

2. #22 / 29
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    weathertop wrote:

i for one haven't ever paid (and probably won't) for an app - tho if i pay for membership then i aught to get the app for free.

I've spent more on apps than the value of the iPad.  But I have to say I get my money's worth.  It literally replaces thousands of dollars worth of hardware for me.   Examples include..

Mixing board with moving faders in my recording studio.  There's $1000 piece of hardware right there.  $50 app.

Professional piano tuning app.. $300.   I haven't paid a piano tuner in over 2 years now ..and my piano is ALWAYS in tune.  I tweak it weekly.  .. At $125 a pop for a RL tuner, times 3-5 visits a year ..do the math.

Not to mention the apps I use as an educator. 

Yeah, there are a lot of decent free apps out there.. true, there's crap that costs money.. But there's stuff out there that's a game changer for me and I don't mind spending the money if it makes my life more enjoyable and my work more efficient.

definitely understand buying apps for use, but most of the stuff i have is for fun.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

3. #23 / 29
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Professional piano tuning app.. $300.   I haven't paid a piano tuner in over 2 years now ..and my piano is ALWAYS in tune.  I tweak it weekly.  .. At $125 a pop for a RL tuner, times 3-5 visits a year ..do the math.

Want to buy this app that tunes pianos.  Also, will it tune my upright?  Because my upright is fairly tall and my iphone is kinda short.

4. #24 / 29
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Andernut wrote:
    M57 wrote:

Professional piano tuning app.. $300.   I haven't paid a piano tuner in over 2 years now ..and my piano is ALWAYS in tune.  I tweak it weekly.  .. At $125 a pop for a RL tuner, times 3-5 visits a year ..do the math.

Want to buy this app that tunes pianos.  Also, will it tune my upright?  Because my upright is fairly tall and my iphone is kinda short.

It's called TuneLab.  You'll need to buy a piano tuner's hammer and a couple of rubber wedges to stop adjacent strings as you tune.  I'd buy the tools first and teach yourself to tune unisons just to make sure you can use them properly.  If you can do that I'm sure you'll be able to use the program.  I have a solid grand piano that holds tune very well, so I can't make any guarantees, but it claims the newest version can even handle "poorly-scaled spinets."  I'm absolutely persnickety about my piano being in tune. I'll open it up every other week just to tune a few strings that go a few cents out of whack, and every couple of months I go over the entire range. 

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

5. #25 / 29
    Premium Member Genghis Jhon
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Is the new native player in there already, and I didn't notice, or was it delayed again? Or is it in beta, and I didn't get in the test group? If beta, and you'd like additional testers, please add me to the list.

Thanks

John

6. #26 / 29
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think it is available to everyone now John.  From your games list, click the red arrow.  Or on the page for the game, click 'native player' instead of 'launch player'.

7. #27 / 29
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Or you can change your default to the Native Player (as it's now called) from your Settings->Player page.

8. #28 / 29
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Andernut wrote:
    M57 wrote:

It's called TuneLab.  You'll need to buy a piano tuner's hammer and a couple of rubber wedges to stop adjacent strings as you tune.  I'd buy the tools first and teach yourself to tune unisons just to make sure you can use them properly.  If you can do that I'm sure you'll be able to use the program.  I have a solid grand piano that holds tune very well, so I can't make any guarantees, but it claims the newest version can even handle "poorly-scaled spinets."  I'm absolutely persnickety about my piano being in tune. I'll open it up every other week just to tune a few strings that go a few cents out of whack, and every couple of months I go over the entire range. 

Thanks for responding - I admit that I was making a joke and should have gone slightly further and asked about whether your iphone had hands ;)  I've seen some interesting results when inexperienced people attempted to tune pianos. Luckily no injuries, but when someone's G-string snapped (not a joke) from over tension it left a decent sized gouge in the piano casing.

9. #29 / 29
    Premium Member Genghis Jhon
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Just tried out the Native Player. Very cool, but I may have found a minor bug already. One game I'm playing in had a continent that was already owned by somebody. I took it, but that was not reflected in the ownership listing in the continent view until I manually reloaded the page. I did try closing & reopening the continents subpage before reloading the page, but that didn't change anything.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)