223 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 28
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

A couple of months ago I talked with Tom about updating the Global Warfare map with a bunch of scenarios.  It has taken me some time to get to it, but I have finally done so.

Right now they are in Beta.  You can see/play them by enabling Beta boards (Settings --> Preferences --> Under "Dev / Beta Games and Boards" make it "Enabled") and going to Boards --> the green bug thing.

There were a couple of threads where people were talking about what kinds of scenarios they would like to see.  I found some of them and put them in, but am willing to create just about any scenario anyone would like to see.  I especially remember people talking about how to balance 2 player games.

Also, if you have feedback on the scenarios that are there let me know - some are a little silly and some may not have been set up right.  Post any such feedback in this thread.

I did not make any scenarios that call for a modification to the boards graphics (eg capital cities).  We can do such things, but some help would be good for those.

If you want to make your own scenario you can download the graphics and the .xml file from these links.  PM me and we can discuss how you can e-mail it to me to put in.

Below are links to the xml file and the board image.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24525669/Global%20Warfare%20-%20Low%20Neutrals.xml          ; (xml file)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24525669/Global%20Warfare.png   ; (board)

Also I would like to update the graphics for that board.  Graphics are not my strong suit, so see the companion thread "Global Warfare Graphics Update" for details on that.

2. #2 / 28
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

"Continent Start" scenario seems very unfair.  How about giving each player the same # of units?

3. #3 / 28
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

"Continent Start" scenario seems very unfair.  How about giving each player the same # of units?

Any thoughts how?

4. #4 / 28
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Asia has the most territories (12).  So give each player 36 units divided evenly(ish) between their territories.  For Australia & SA that means 9 units per territory, etc.

Not sure if that would be fair, but it seems more fair than the current setup.

5. #5 / 28
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Any idea if it would be possible to allow each player to choose 1 territory each round (I know it will take ages but may be with the Fisher clock set to 10 seconds...) ? Only neutral territories would be decided by luck.

In the same idea, would it be possible that you decide how many armies you want on each territories you have, before the game begins ? This could be done by placing 1 army each round like mentioned above for territories, or even in 1 time (you would have to decide for all your armies without seeing what the others did, so it will only take 1 round's time).

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

6. #6 / 28
    Premium Member Cona Chris
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but what about a Simulgear scenario?

7. #7 / 28
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Toto: that's an option at game setup as long as the designer allows for it.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Wed 22nd Feb 10:33 [history]

8. #8 / 28
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

@ Ozyman - I'll make the change and we'll see.  I could certainly just drop this scenario.  Finding a fair way to start like this has been a thought exercise of mine for a while-

@Toto - I put this in for two players with a high number of neutrals.  "Two-Player Pick and Place". Give it a shot and see how long it takes and we can expand it to more players if it seems doable.

@Cona Chris - I have heard that the problem with this is since you can only attack 1 territory away on your turn it can turn into one player chasing another player around the board.  Which is why most/all simulgear boards here capitals also - 

9. #9 / 28
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

@Cona Chris - I have heard that the problem with this is since you can only attack 1 territory away on your turn it can turn into one player chasing another player around the board.  Which is why most/all simulgear boards here capitals also - 

I don't believe that to be a true statement...especially the "all".

*yawn* *stretch* time to wake up..

10. #10 / 28
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

No argument there Yertle.  I was thinking of your Simulgear scenario on (I think) Gearstorm so I should have left it "most". 

A standard simulgear scenario is easy enough to create - will do so if it is wanted -

11. #11 / 28
    Premium Member Cona Chris
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

On the first turn, really there is only one place to attack (where you put your units) I agree.  However, with Simulgear, you can move troops around during the turn (like transfering) but attacking your own territories late in the turn to build up a higher count for an attack the next turn.  Yertle has Simulgear as a scenario on the Micro Mission map and it makes for a very enjoyable game with a lot of strategy invovled.

12. #12 / 28
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

OK, I made a SimulGear scenario.  I don't play that much, so I am unsure what settings would be preferred or if different settings of SimulGear should be made into scenarios.  Let me know -

13. #13 / 28
    Standard Member CK66
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I tried to start a game on the SimulGear scenario but I received an error saying that this board was not enabled for public beta.

14. #14 / 28
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

OK, I made a SimulGear scenario.  I don't play that much, so I am unsure what settings would be preferred or if different settings of SimulGear should be made into scenarios.  Let me know -

For a Simulgear scenario on Global Warfare I suggest enabling Fatigue.  Try something like 5% per 5 turns.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

15. #15 / 28
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

OK Attila, I put that in. 

CK66 - I think I fixed it.  Every time I make a new scenario it looks like I have to put the whole board up for Beta again.  Not a big deal, just have to remember.

All - I am not sure if the attack/defend %'s are set right.  Let me know if you think they should be different from what is there

16. #16 / 28
    Standard Member CK66
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

It works. Thanks!

A couple of things that I noticed:

You have the damage dice set to 6%/7% attacker/defender. Not sure if you meant 60%/70%.

You have maximum number of orders allowed per turn set to 0. I think this should be unlimited.

Edited Wed 22nd Feb 16:27 [history]

17. #17 / 28
    Standard Member CK66
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

With Amidon's go-ahead, I have created a SimulGear scenario for Global Warfare and released it for public Beta.

If you have any questions or suggestions for changes, please post here or PM me.

18. #18 / 28
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

CK66 wrote:

With Amidon's go-ahead, I have created a SimulGear scenario for Global Warfare and released it for public Beta.

If you have any questions or suggestions for changes, please post here or PM me.

So Amidon will take your scenario and add it to the main board as a scenario correct?

*yawn* *stretch* time to wake up..

19. #19 / 28
    Standard Member CK66
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

So Amidon will take your scenario and add it to the main board as a scenario correct?

Yes, that is my understanding.

20. #20 / 28
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Is circle mode acceptable for the Global Warfare scenarios?

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)