228 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 16
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'm in the process of making a new map and I really like how it looks as it is, but the problem is that I haven't done anything to show the distinction between bonuses.  This is always one of my least favorite things about map making.  In fact, the reason I make non-traditional maps most of the time is because I hate this so much.  I've considered Hordes! but it wouldn't work for my overall concept.

Does anybody have any good ideas aside from outlining in different colors?  I'm considering Icons and keeping the colors of the map as is, but I really don't want to do that.  I want some creative ideas.  I'm not gonna give away my concept so just try and imagine something that is familiar but the territories aren't what is familiar.  Kinda like Manifest Destiny but without the colored borders.

Join the Cult of RiskyBack...it's fun and the Kool Aid is YUMMY!

2. #2 / 16
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'd need to see the base image, I think, before I can make a useful suggestion.

3. #3 / 16
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Sorry, I'm not going to show the image.  I'm looking for general suggestions for ways to do it.  Maybe ways it's been done in other maps that people like or even if people tell me things they don't like at all.  Personally, I dislike the colored borders because they always seem to take away from the overall look of the map.  Plus, there is the frustration of trying not to have player colors too similar to the other colors and that always screws me.

4. #4 / 16
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Not sure if this would work for you map but here's the idea: How about making bonuses based on spatial location on the map?  For example, imagine a series of rings where the outer rings are higher bonuses than the inner rings, etc.  

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

5. #5 / 16
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Another common option is to make continent borders thicker than normal territory borders (like I did on Ancient Isles of Kjeldor). That way you don't get ugly color-clash. You can also experiment with different styles of line, e.g. dashed, dotted, double-line, zig-zag, hashmarked, etc.

Edited Sat 11th Feb 16:41 [history]

6. #6 / 16
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Both of these suggestions helped.  Kjeld's is gonna eliminate a future anti-aliasing issue I was not wanting to deal with, and AtH's suggestion will allow Kjeld's to work better on this map.  It's been a long time since I've had a new map and now I remember why.  Map making is tedious!

7. #7 / 16
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Another suggestion I've used a few times so as not to take away from the look of the map itself is to use a mini-map delineating the borders/bonuses like on Civil War and Wargate Atlantis.

8. #8 / 16
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

I want some creative ideas. 

Here's an out of the box idea. Include an opaquish layer on your board image such that every "continent" has a different texture ..like hashmarks, dots, etc.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

9. #9 / 16
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Actually M57 that was an original consideration but I have some icons (cities, mountain, etc) so it got too busy looking.  Plus, I went nuts with the "Pattern Fill" plugin on paint.net and I had a section of map that was all hearts because it made me laugh.

10. #10 / 16
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

It's hard to get the pattern thing to work in such a way that it's not visually over-bearing but yet still clear enough to tell continents apart. This very problem of continent delineation is one of the main reasons I haven't put up HexGear for review yet: http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/1331

11. #11 / 16
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Yeah, the borders on that one were really hard to see.  I basically just stayed alive until I got an opening without ever really understanding the map.  I lost of Yertle who I think understood what he was doing better than I did.

Before you ask, yes, you wrote it clearly, I just didn't read.

12. #12 / 16
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I've treaded slightly on the texture as continents (Zombie States, Ninja Nation Scenario), but I think it is quite difficult to pull off without being overbearing or differing player colors too much.  

Sounds like some good suggestions already put forth, I'd say you could also handle with Wingbat-ish territories, and them being different for the different continents or icons.

13. #13 / 16
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

14. #14 / 16
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Once again Cram has come up with the perfect solution!

15. #15 / 16
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:

http://www.phoneballs.com/

Well played sir.

Ad Extremum Omnia Sunt Limosus

16. #16 / 16
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Bravo, Cram, bravo.
    And did anyone else laugh hysterically at picture 11 of 17?

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)